Juventus - The Immovable Object (1 Viewer)

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
11/12/2003. The signs are ominous. Juventus are sweeping all before them and don't look like letting up in their quest for the Scudetto and Champions League double.

Coach Marcello Lippi has been blowing the Bianconeri's trumpet, going to pains to point out just what a strong squad he has at his disposal this season. And why shouldn't he? He has at least two quality players for each position, but also key individuals whom he knows he can rely on to win him a match single handedly.

One such player is Marco Di Vaio. Arguably the club's most outstanding individual this campaign. It's seven Serie A goals and counting for the former Parma striker who now surely commands a starting place week in, week out, as opposed to the one game off, one game on regime (more often than not the former) he was so used to last season.

Di Vaio is one player who has highlighted the fact that Alessandro Del Piero is no longer such a crucial cog in the Bianconeri machine as he once was. A world class player no doubt, capable of turning a game with a moment of divine brilliance. But this season, on the whole, Juve haven't had to reply on individual moments of magic. It's been a real team effort. Sides have visited the Delle Alpi, and returned home with four and five goal beatings. Not necessarily due to moments of sublime skill, but rather brute efficiency (although Pavel Nedved's pass for David Trezeguet's second goal against Real Sociedad should be enough to win him the Ballon d'or on its own!)

And what of Lippi's rotation policy? The former Inter boss, by making often wholesale changes from one game to the next, is making sure that no one runs out of steam, and that everyone keeps going until the last. Lillian Thuram and Gianluca Zambrotta need a breather? In can come Gianluca Pessotto and Alessandro Birindelli. David Trezeguet is not firing on all cylinders? Fabrizio Miccoli can enter the fray and give a display brimming with energy and enthusiasm.

"This is certainly the most complete squad I have ever coached," noted Lippi after the 4-1 thrashing of Udinese. "I have never had such a quality squad available to me."

Sunday's win highlighted in no uncertain terms why Juventus have won the last two Scudetto's, and why they are red hot favourites to make it three in three - their ability to score late goals, and turn a point into three.

In the 76th minute they were 1-0 down to a Marek Jankulovski (a reported target of Juve) penalty. 13 minutes later they were 4-1 up! How many times over the previous two years have Lippi's side popped up with a late, often undeserved goal to nick three points away from a side who may well have had the better of the match up to that point?

Sheer spirit and determination. Manchester United have it too. That ability to keep on plugging away, until something gives.

Can anything stop the Old Lady? Complacency maybe. Unlikely in a squad of such seasoned pros, but should they build up a what looks an unbridgeable lead over the coming weeks, overconfidence could creep in.

"They are doing very well, if they go on like this in Serie A, it is useless to play," Milan defender Alessandro Nesta told 'La Gazzetta dello Sport'. "However, difficulties may arise sooner or later. Look at Real Madrid for instance: they fell 3-0 in Seville within a quarter of an hour. It may happen and the team may face a crisis."

Just wishful thinking from the former Lazio man?

An injury to national-team goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon would be a crushing blow. Indeed, the former Parma stopper has the ability to go a whole game without doing anything, but make the crucial save when it counts. Always the mark of a fine goalkeeper. David Seaman, in his time at Arsenal, had that particular gift.

Antonio Chimente is a competent reserve keeper, but nowhere near in Buffon's class. Lippi would surely move into the transfer market should Buffon get injured for a substantial length of time. But Juve fans will not even be wanting to comprehend that possibility.

Stewart Coggin

-------------------------

*proud* :D:D:D

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Great Post, Kaizer.

I sometimes wish that the Rotation System would include Nedved, to give the poor guy some time off.

BTW, it's avatar time for you, my friend

OP
kaizer

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    ++ [ originally posted by USA Juventini ] ++
    :D:D finally....! i thought this day wud never come....

I sometimes wish that the Rotation System would include Nedved, to give the poor guy some time off.
    yup....he's been playing non-stop!! him and zambro, but now lippi has been giving zambro time off, maybe nedved shud get one soon....

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by kaizer ] ++

yup....he's been playing non-stop!! him and zambro, but now lippi has been giving zambro time off, maybe nedved shud get one soon....
    he will since del piero is back

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++

he will since del piero is back
    +-

wonder how long will it take for DP to really be back :undecide:

coz i have thiz feeling that he is the only influence that could disturb the rhtym of team at the mo... knowing his history on returning from injuries, it could take a while... should we again sacrifice team's form in general and DI Vaio'S form in particular for a while to wait for Dp as we have done tirelessly before?

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
    +-

wonder how long will it take for DP to really be back :undecide:

coz i have thiz feeling that he is the only influence that could disturb the rhtym of team at the mo... knowing his history on returning from injuries, it could take a while... should we again sacrifice team's form in general and DI Vaio'S form in particular for a while to wait for Dp as we have done tirelessly before?
    that is the problem that has been in my head since divaio started with his fabulous form... and we must find the way to make del piero return to his best shape.. without sacrificing di vaio´s form.

gigi's twin

Mar 5, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by USA Juventini ] ++
    Great Post, Kaizer.

Also Gigi is playing non-stop, but I don't think, that Juve can let him have rest. Chimenti is not so good to let him play really important matches. Maybe during the last CL match in the first round..... :undecide:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by gigi's twin ] ++

Also Gigi is playing non-stop, but I don't think, that Juve can let him have rest. Chimenti is not so good to let him play really important matches. Maybe during the last CL match in the first round..... :undecide:

Yeah, but really though, how many games has Gigi just stood there waiting for something to happen. I think there's a big difference between Nedved playing every game and Gigi playing every game.

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++

that is the problem that has been in my head since divaio started with his fabulous form... and we must find the way to make del piero return to his best shape.. without sacrificing di vaio´s form.
    why not sacrificing trezeguet?

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by kaizer ] ++

Great post by the way but did you really have to get an avatar where Zambrotta is scratching his butt or is someone doing it for him, either way its gross:D

Aug 1, 2003
    :LOL: fark that was funny.
    oh yeah, someone's right bout Dp disrupting juve's rhythm right now. that would really suck :down:

but goalies could be injured, and chimenti isn't really a, capable goalkeeper to be up as buffon's standards, so we'll need a backup goalie i guess :D carini was fine enough, but well he's gone.

why not let nedved rest and maresca play? the guy's practically machine. poor nedved, i wonder if he ever gets tired :D

juvetrainer

May 22, 2003
    i ur opinion, u think will be possible if Moggi try to buy a good GK (i mean a GK near Gigi's class) to be a reserve?
    u know, cos i dont want to wait until Gigi injured to know what will happen to the team. :D

juvetrainer

May 22, 2003
    i dont think Chimenti is enough (btw, that's my thoght. dont know urs)

Carini is i think the best reserve for Gigi. antone know his status? my friend said Juve still have half of him.

d.nico

Apr 23, 2003
    I think Juve sold him!
    Do you know Jean Francois Gillet? He did well with Bari couples years ago. I remember Buffon and Frey when i saw his performance.

juvetrainer

May 22, 2003
    yeah, i know him, but i never heard any news about him yet recently.
    i think he can be a good reserve, better than Chimenti i think. what about the guy on my avatar. he's 30 this year tho. why dont Juve use him as a reserve?
    (i doubt Carlo want to be a reserve GK! :D:D)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)