JUVENTUS : The Global Brand (1 Viewer)

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
The Times November 28, 2005

The Game

How Turin's old lady gained global appeal
By Gabriele Marcotti

LAST TUESDAY, 9,623 SPECTATORS — of which only 4,161 bought tickets; the rest were season ticket-holders — watched Juventus defeat FC Bruges in the cavernous Stadio Delle Alpi, a win that secured the Bianconeri’s place in the knockout stages of the Champions League. On the same night, Manchester United drew with Villarreal in the same competition and Old Trafford was, as usual, close to capacity.
But it is United, the endlessly self-described “biggest club in the world”, who are to lose their massive sponsorship deal, not Juventus. The further twist, of course, is that United’s contract with Vodafone, which will expire at the end of the season, nets them a relatively paltry £9 million a season, compared with Juventus’s £15 million deal with Tamoil.

When football clubs make claims about their global fan base — such as Florentino Pérez, the Real Madrid president, and his boast of having 93 million Madridistas worldwide — it is best to take it with a bucket of salt. Defining what constitutes a fan is not easy and these numbers often seem plucked from thin air.

What is not plucked from thin air is the hard cash that sponsors and television companies pour into Juventus. They attract more sponsorship than any other club in the world and also boast one of the most lucrative television deals, earning a guaranteed £48.5 million for their domestic digital terrestrial and digital satellite rights alone. It is numbers such as these that make Juve oblivious to the sneers and barbs that pundits from across the world occasionally direct their way as a result of the Stadio Delle Alpi’s paltry attendances.

The simple truth is that Juventus are more of a global club than any other in the world, in the sense that they have no real ties to their home city of Turin. It is claimed that one in three Italians are Juve fans. If this is true — and it often feels that way — few of them live locally. But that is all part of the game plan.

“In 1897, when a group of university students from Turin founded the club, they could have called it Torino, but they chose a totally nongeographic word, Juventus,” Romy Gai, the club’s commercial director, said. “I suppose it was an early marketing choice. It disengaged the club from territorial issues. In a world where many are proud of their roots, you could freely support Juventus without supporting Turin, which might be a rival to your own city. It invited people everywhere to come on board.

“There are people — in Asia, South America, other far-away places — who consider themselves Juventus fans but don’t know where we are from. They know we’re from Italy of course, but they might not know we’re from Turin.”

Far-flung United fans do not have that problem. While it is an oft-repeated joke that most United supporters hail from Surrey and other points south, it is also a myth. Without getting into the age-old argument of whether most of Manchester supports United or City, it is obvious that the club are deeply rooted in local traditions and culture.

Not so Juventus. To them, Turin is little more than an address, unlike their cross-town rivals Torino, who wrap themselves in the city’s colours and culture at every occasion. And this is why Juventus, the most successful club in the history of Italian football, have an average home attendance (29,122) only marginally higher than Torino (24,188), who are in Serie B and have won one league title in the past 55 years.

Some blame the usual factors for Juve’s poor attendances: high ticket prices, too much football on television and the Stadio Delle Alpi’s poor sightlines and inconvenient location on the outskirts of town. “But it’s just not true,” Gai said. “Two-thirds of our matches have a cheapest ticket which costs less than €10 (about £6). For those same games women and children get in for one euro. People blame the stadium and maybe it’s not all that it could be. But in the late 1990s we were averaging around 48,000 to 50,000 a game and that was in the Delle Alpi.”

Juventus’s plan to renovate the Stadio Delle Alpi, reducing capacity from the present 69,041 to about 40,000 — paid for, naturally, entirely by sponsors — is a rare concession to Juve’s local fan base. A few years ago, when Juventus first looked at renovating the Delle Alpi, it was suggested that, instead of choosing an alternate home for a year, the club might spend the entire season “on tour”, pitching up in a different town every weekend. Indeed, wherever Juventus go, they tend to sell out.

The origins of their popularity, in addition to the club’s name, are not hard to fathom. “The big one is that we’re historically one of the most successful teams in the world,” Gai said. “We have won 28 league titles. Among the major European leagues, only Real Madrid have won more and they have just one more than we do. Winning generates more fans, it’s a basic fact.

“As important, I think, is that we have had the same owners, the Agnelli family, since 1923. That has given us both tradition and identity, affording us the opportunity to make long-term plans.” The result is a club which is truly unique: more popular away than at home.

One of the maxims of selling is “know your customer”. Juventus do this better than most. Their customer, ultimately, isn’t the Turinese shivering at the Stadio Delle Alpi. Chasing his euro is not as important as satisfying the tens of millions elsewhere around the globe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:touched:

Perhaps this IS the reason why we have so little attendances, it is a reassuring perspective to look at. And Juve playing their home games away? Wow if that ever happens and they sell out all those games then Juventus truly is a team not attached squarely by geography.

:weee:

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Great article, vOnAm. It touches on many of the points I was making in the mental diarrhea thread that I started yesterday:

http://www.juventuz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13611

In particular:

The simple truth is that Juventus are more of a global club than any other in the world, in the sense that they have no real ties to their home city of Turin. It is claimed that one in three Italians are Juve fans. If this is true — and it often feels that way — few of them live locally. But that is all part of the game plan.
I guess I've gone beyond thinking that Juve can have the kind of attendances that other teams have, regardless of what becomes of the delle Alpi. The thought I had was, "What does it mean to have such a global club with such global followers, and does that redefine how tifosi and ultras support their team?"

OP
- vOnAm -

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4
    Just read your thread there. I guess you were on to this.

It was kinda surprissing for me coz I never really saw it that way, but now its like the LIGHT just shinned, lighting up all the questions about attendances and that perhaps little attendances is not a sign of declining fans for Juve.

It also clearly answers why we are downsizing the stadium as most of the fans of the club can't come to the venue anyways. I'm really happy we have smart visionaries running the Juventus club.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I agree. With the exception that I am not so sure just yet that we have smart enough visionaries at the club who recognize how to better capitalize on their global fanbase since their local attendances are so sketchy. At least I haven't seen any real business gestures yet to indicate that they are that forward-thinking about what it means to be a global club in a smaller world.

I really do hope they catch on to it. I don't mean to invite it so that we juventini get nickel-and-dimed with charges to support the team -- to make up for the lower attendances at the stadium. But there ought to be some very forward-thinking opportunities for offering services or finding ways to engage juventini around the world that gives us more of what we want (without actually being there) that also financially benefits the club's bottom line. More than merely selling licensed jerseys overseas and selling satellite TV rights, etc.

If I could pay several bucks a month as a supporter and could get some cool ways of better engaging in the games and the fellow fans following them, I would certainly sign up.

OP
    - vOnAm -

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
  • Thread Starter #6
    REply to your post for future venue upgrades, kinda reading back and fourth here,

- vOnAm - said:
    Thats a brilliant IDEA! REALLY! I can imagine myself watching the Juventus game late at night here and sending a

" GREAT SAVE BUFFON !!" Shout to the Delle Alpi

and hearing it through my television set in the background of the game. Or somebody sending a "MAmma Mia!! " after a terrific goal!

Or even options of shouts in local languages! I know Juve will get many more fans here if any Indonesian is ever heard live in the background of the Delle Alpi.

Ofcourse not all shouts will be aired and should probably go through some screening but the rest can be displayed on the grounds of the sidelines like the adds aired near the goalpost or sumthing.

That would be a global experience.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    Can the news get any older than this? Not really, me and several others have posted stuff like this for ages, but once a british magazine writes old facts it's suddenly something new.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    What sort of Juventus fan doesn't know the club plays it's matches in Turin? And yeah, this is a rather old topic and there are other factors that influence the attendances at the Delle Alpi besides Juventus being a global brand.

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
    The facts is that, unlike Manure, R. Merdrid or other top-notch teams, we are on a unique position to take advantage of our situation, and probably Giraudo and company has already understand that.

Juventus has extended his global image to the points that, as all of us know, we are not dependant of the torino based fans group, and even more, we had learn to forget about the revenues produced by Delle Alphi assistance. The level of image penetration of the team in Asia, Latinamerica and the middle east in the last ten years has been enourmous, without making the efforts that , for example, Madrid has done to keep it extending.
    As Gregg said,There is still to see if Juve bosses have figured out how to capitalize this special situation, but there is some indicatives that they are in the right track. For example, in my country, in the last three years, there has been the aperture of football school-centers of Real Madrid and Juventus. The response has been different to the two institutions. The Madrid center, charging high fees for accepting scholars and spending most of the time in Museums and extra-football activities has plenty of vacancies. The Juve school, on the contrary, has been totally fullbooked from the very beggining, and there is a large list of people waiting to suscribe their children.

On the long run, the survivance of the teams will depend on the right managing of there global image and i think we had a good advantage over the others....

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Of course the facts are certainly not new. How to use them to the advantage of the club, the squad, and the fans is where the debate is still unsettled.

Thus far, the few clubs that have thought about what it means to be a global brand seem to have much heavier local followings and aren't nearly as distributed in nature. They have largely approached global audiences more by trying to build them -- rather than taking advantage of what is already there.

ManU signs Park, sells jerseys and TV rights in Korea. Real Madrid goes on an Asian tour, sells jerseys and TV rights in China. A few clubs send out their preseason warm-up squads to lame overseas tournaments in North America, etc.

All nice, but these are weak gestures to extend a brand globally -- and not to truly leverage a global presence that may already be in place. What makes it different for Juventus, IMO, is that clubs like Real Madrid and ManU can fall back on their laurels locally and fail with their global efforts. A club like Juventus with such a global reach and yet local support on the order of a Livorno cannot rest on the economics of local Torino supporters.

OP
    - vOnAm -

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
  • Thread Starter #12
    WEll from my understanding and perspective Juve has been second best in developing its global brand. Second to Real Madrid and Man United, the later seems to have the edge in this business.
    Man United have recently opened a MU restaurant here in Jakarta and ofcourse there are plenty of Man United stores around the world. If I had to guess, in south east asia Man United has probably the most fans and definately most activities. Thats why it was reassuring for me to read the article.
    I still feel we are behind in developing the brand but I don't think we are far behind in terms of global fan base. I do admit that Air time here is generous for Juventus as from the 4 match timeslot available on local channels, Juve is the team most likely to be aired alongside Milan.
    Its good to here Juve soccerschool doing well though, they would really get a huge following if they opened one in Indonesia. I wonder how I could convince them to do that.

@Andi: Yes there are Juventus supporters who don't realise that Juve are from Turin. Like Milan or Roma, they consider Juventus to be a city in Italy,those fans who don't follow Juve news every day and perhaps don't really follow football too much in general yet they watch the games and buy the merchandise. And even here there are Juve fans (ofcourse not very big fans or very rich) who don't know alot about Juve, perhaps only the big name stars. Information and knowledge isn't as abundant across the world as it is in the states and europe. Many fans here know Juve only from the live games aired on local television, and the commentary is in english, they can't understand a thing.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    Eaglesnake_1 said:
    Good post all over, but I still need to ask this. Sorry about a bit off-topic discussion, but you're Mexican then, am I right? Good to hear that project started up well.

swag said:
    Of course the facts are certainly not new. How to use them to the advantage of the club, the squad, and the fans is where the debate is still unsettled.
    ummm, not really that unsettled. Just take a look at TV-ratings at Italy and how well Juve really sells pretty much everywhere. By the way, you seem to have forgotten the most important thing that feeds the brand. Success, that's how ManU did it too...

And Andy, it's normal, just like there are "fans" that think Beckham is the greatest player in the world.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    Philipp00 said:
    Let`s say it this way: Juventus is popular everywhere around the world except in Torino :)
    ...ummm, that's not entirely true. Torino isn't granata either. The lack of attendances just gots so much to do with the unique spirit that the people have there and pretty much everywhere in Italy.

neath_lad

Jun 25, 2004
    im quite surprised because the editor Gabriele Marcotti is sometimes co-host italian football in the uk on bravo and he sometimes makes it clear that he not juve biggest fan and he doesnt like DP. Once before he called DP a zombie for not being very passionate and criticised our defensive mentality. this guy is the editor of Corriere dello Sport so its not surprising this roman guy might not be our biggest fan. so this praise from him is a bit wierd (hes right tho lol).

T_I_C

Dec 1, 2005
    - vOnAm - said:
    T
    But it is United, the endlessly self-described “biggest club in the world”, who are to lose their massive sponsorship deal, not Juventus. The further twist, of course, is that United’s contract with Vodafone, which will expire at the end of the season, nets them a relatively paltry £9 million a season, compared with Juventus’s £15 million deal with Tamoil.
    Tamoil is paying juve THAT much? :shocked:

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
    Erkka said:
    Good post all over, but I still need to ask this. Sorry about a bit off-topic discussion, but you're Mexican then, am I right? Good to hear that project started up well.
    Yes, erkka, im mexican and the project here has started up very well.

I have a good friend that is already working there ( office work) and it seems they are doin things allright. Before contracting anyone, they conducted an interview to ashure you are a Juventus follower and has at least some knowledge about the team history and status. They are offering different incentives for the people working with them, specially facilities to make a trip to Torino to know the place, know the team and see some Juve games. Next year, theyre `planning to make a group of young trainers to go to Torino and be trained there.

I already make my application and probably, from this june on, i will be oficially an scouter of the school in my city....

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    Eaglesnake_1 said:
    Yes, erkka, im mexican and the project here has started up very well.

I have a good friend that is already working there ( office work) and it seems they are doin things allright. Before contracting anyone, they conducted an interview to ashure you are a Juventus follower and has at least some knowledge about the team history and status. They are offering different incentives for the people working with them, specially facilities to make a trip to Torino to know the place, know the team and see some Juve games. Next year, theyre `planning to make a group of young trainers to go to Torino and be trained there.

I already make my application and probably, from this june on, i will be oficially an scouter of the school in my city....
    that is mouth watering :drool:

good luck w/that :thumbs:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)