Juventus Season 08-09 Analysis (2 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
When we started the new season, we had the first two scorers and Iaquinta and Palla and Giovinco coming!!

How can you say that we needed him as we needed the defenders we never had neither then or now???
Amauri could do nothing to help our defense or our flanks. And did nothing.
He was a useful acquisition, because he will be our first option in the future.
And only because Treze was not available for a large part of the season. But we couldnt predict that, so the need for Amauri was lesser than the need for quality defender and winger starters! He was not a priority, as far as our planing was concerned. Just like Cassano isnt now.
Iaquinta should just be a back up while Palladino and Giovinco aren't strikers.If we hadn't bought him we'd be in deeper shit right now.You can defend but you can't score, well, fuck that.If we had a good defender and seeing Trez being injured all the time people would cry for some striker because Iaquinta would not be capable of doing Amauri's job.Even if we had those 13mln I doubt we'd get some good defender.

You're not looking at the whole picture.If we buy Cassano that means we're NOT going to play 4-4-2 and it means that HE'S Nedved's replacement who will be used on a different way

Cassano-Giovinco

Amauri​

If you say you wouldn't like Cassano it also means that you wouldn't like Diego because it's the same thing...anyway, you can relax because seeing Lippi coming over makes us avoid Cassano.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Marchionni isn't a starter. Camoranesi is. Yesterday's match was probably the only one where Camo was fit to play 90 minutes and didn't start the match.
You keep saying for months that Marchionni is a starter, and it is true that he was starting the matches, but it was only because the main MR in the team was injured most of the time, and that's something we couldn't predict before the season started.
It's just like saying that Manninger is a starter.
You're right about the defense, though.
Camo already proved last season, that he is not reliable for one reason, or the other, to be our starter for the season. And Marchionni already proved, that he was not fit for the job, of replacing for a big part of the season, it doesnt matter if it is 40-80%
Fact is, that we were going to use him for at least 40% of the season anyway.
I particularly insisted that this is an issue we need to get fix asap, by the end of the last year. What did our board did to fix that?? And our CB/RB issues, we also knew of Zebina'a and Andrade's condition, please dont tell me that you also consider Mellberg and Grygera as unfortunate incidents too.
The board brought poor Ekdall and free Melberg for players we need reliable starters for injury prone players and then wasted the money on Amauri and Poulsen, for the places we were stacked up.
They had no excuses and here we are now suffering from the some problems we had last year and they ignored...:shifty:
I knew with certainty that if they wont find a permanent fix for those issues, the LB, RB, CB and RM will haunt us for this season.
I am sure that you remember how much i insisted for permanent fixes of these positions or at least half of them, if we cant afford all of them within a year.
Our board did nothing to fix them and they take full responsibility, because they ignored all of them!! Which means the never intend to fix them and they proved that by throwing the money away on Poulsen. I can accept that we made an exception for an opportunity and valuable target like Amauri, who will help us in the future. But why Poulsen too instead of any of our needs??
This is unacceptable!!!

Considering Buffon's back issues and form, Manninger was the best wisest move this board has ever done!! I wish they would have done the same for the places it mattered the most!!
Iaquinta should just be a back up while Palladino and Giovinco aren't strikers.If we hadn't bought him we'd be in deeper shit right now.You can defend but you can't score, well, fuck that.If we had a good defender and seeing Trez being injured all the time people would cry for some striker because Iaquinta would not be capable of doing Amauri's job.Even if we had those 13mln I doubt we'd get some good defender.

You're not looking at the whole picture.If we buy Cassano that means we're NOT going to play 4-4-2 and it means that HE'S Nedved's replacement who will be used on a different way

Cassano-Giovinco

Amauri​

If you say you wouldn't like Cassano it also means that you wouldn't like Diego because it's the same thing...anyway, you can relax because seeing Lippi coming over makes us avoid Cassano.
Palla isnt a striker? What is he then?? Giovinco, between other was also hinted as DP's heir, if we didnt have an abundance of option, we could have used him more.
Point is, we had one more promising player already available, whilst in other places, just an injury prone-always injured player and a non Juve-material one.
To strengthen those weaker position should have been a priority!
As this season has shown.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
This team wasn't ready to win anything big this season.

I considered getting through the CL group and finishing 2nd in Serie A the basic objectives of the season.

We are more or less on course to meet those objectives, so this season has not been terrible.

However, I did think we could have put in more of a challenge to Inter in the league, and the lack of that suggests we aren't really closing th gap on them. That is worrying, because it indicates a lack of progress, which is what I was looking for this season.

Overall, the season has not been as terrible as some would have you believe, but I certainly don't consider it a success.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
exactly, the way Inter is going to stroll to the championship is what is upsetting me the most...CL was always out of reach, and we always manage to fuck up our Coppa Italia, but the team really should have pushed Inter much harder this season...we had our chances to topple them several times, but failed to capitalise every time

xkorpyon

Jan 13, 2008
The only thing that makes me upset is not the fact that we did not win the CL or the Coppa , because CL i always tought that there are much better squads then Juve's and Coppa isn't good enough for me, what makes me upset is the fact that we probably will finish 3rd!! Milan were so behind and now they are above Juventus...

:cry: :cry:

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
exactly, the way Inter is going to stroll to the championship is what is upsetting me the most...CL was always out of reach, and we always manage to fuck up our Coppa Italia, but the team really should have pushed Inter much harder this season...we had our chances to topple them several times, but failed to capitalise every time
bingo

OP
ZAF3000

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #50
    And why did we do that? This is what we are discussing here. Inter are not THAT invincible team. Infact, they are far from it. Most of our pre 2006 teams would have ran circles around them..

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    This team wasn't ready to win anything big this season.

I considered getting through the CL group and finishing 2nd in Serie A the basic objectives of the season.

We are more or less on course to meet those objectives, so this season has not been terrible.

However, I did think we could have put in more of a challenge to Inter in the league, and the lack of that suggests we aren't really closing th gap on them. That is worrying, because it indicates a lack of progress, which is what I was looking for this season.

Overall, the season has not been as terrible as some would have you believe, but I certainly don't consider it a success.
    Of course the team wasnt ready to win anything at this season, thats why we should focus on building her up and make her competitive in the future.
    Therefore we should start adding 2 starters/season.

The more time+money we waste adding useless players like Poulsen, Mellberg and Almiron, the further we move away from this ultimate goal ...

I am not upset at all about the titles we lost, since we never had the necessary quality to challenge them. But i am upset that we wasted our future for increasing those chances, only to chase a hopeless dream.
    That was a very amateur move...

May 22, 2007
    Dusie?Really? :D

Football is no different. The nice guy, who has no enemies, ends his career with an empty trophy cabinet – Claudio Ranieri being the perfect example. The callous and cold-blooded coach, who is prepared to win by any means, retires having won everything in the game – Jose Mourinho and Fabio Capello being two such illustrations.

Exactly why I like him.
    Would be the bestest thing.

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    And why did we do that? This is what we are discussing here. Inter are not THAT invincible team. Infact, they are far from it. Most of our pre 2006 teams would have ran circles around them..
    well our year out of Serie A allowed them to blow away the competition and figure out how to win a league title...their team now is so much like the older Juve, it is uncanny...watertight defence, efficient fullbacks, rock-solid MF and a genius attacker...all qualities that Juve teams throughout the years have always exhibited

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    @ Cron: You are contradicting yourself. First you mention that the board should have anticipated Zebina's and Camo's injury issues but on the other hand ignore Trezi's injury issues. I understand what you mean about trying to get the long term plans but we had a huge skill gap in our front line and Amauri was the answer. Neither Trezi or Iaq are target men and neither can create something, so we needed to fill that.

Palladino was useful but very inconsistent, and even Gasperni is playing him as a winger. We couldn't put that much pressure on Gio from the first season imo.

Otherwise i agree with most the points you have mentioned.

Just about Poulsen, i wasn't sure as to rule him as a bad transfer, a decent one. His primary role was to fill in the defensive midfield role as a rotation with mommo and he brings in some tempo controlling abilities, and maybe some decent passing. I would like to think they took into consideration zanetti's injury problems as he is a similar player.

Now, from his performances especially against teams that play with intensity and games that contain a lot of end to end stuff he has failed miserably imo. During games that had much lesser tempo, he was decent apart from a couple of games where he did very well ( napoli games if am not mistaken was one of them).

Primarily we needed someone to fill in for mommo and compliment him times when we don't have one of our good passers in the midfield. In regards to the complimentary factor, it wasn't an urgent need as there different options we could've done ( marchisio, tiago or even neddy). But we needed him to fill in for mommo and replace his intensity and workrate. To me he has failed in that and that was evident during the latter stages of the season when we needed someone to cover the defense.

I looked over his last season with Sevilla ( as i admit i didn't see much of him with them), and almost always he had Seydiou Keita next to him especially in the games where they hadn't conceded ( i know many inputs factor into them but that was just an observation).

So he was a weak transfer, as he didn't provide us with what was required and although he has some skills that we needed. The gap still stood and it was an expensive transfer that could've been avoided.

Dusie?Really? :D

Football is no different. The nice guy, who has no enemies, ends his career with an empty trophy cabinet – Claudio Ranieri being the perfect example. The callous and cold-blooded coach, who is prepared to win by any means, retires having won everything in the game – Jose Mourinho and Fabio Capello being two such illustrations.

Exactly why I like him.
    So you equally like the subsequent name as well :D?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)