Juventus preparing for tough season in Serie B (2 Viewers)

vletrmx

Mar 22, 2006
TURIN, Italy (AP) -Juventus' loss to Napoli in the Italian Cup might be a sign of things to come this season.

Relegated to Serie B with a 17-point penalty for its leading role in the Italian match-fixing scandal, the powerhouse could be hard-pressed to fight with teams like Napoli, Genoa and Bologna to gain promotion back to Serie A.

Before the loss to Napoli, Juve had to come back from a goal down to eke out a 2-1 win at Cesena, another Serie B club, in the previous round of the Italian Cup.

"We're going to have to get used to playing in stadiums and against teams like that,'' coach Didier Deschamps said. "Everyone wants to play the game of their life against Juve.''

Deschamps' team is missing half of last season's starting lineup. The scandal sentence produced a mass exodus with Fabio Cannavaro, Gianluca Zambrotta, Lilian Thuram, Emerson, Patrick Vieira and Zlatan Ibrahimovic all leaving Turin.

Goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, midfielders Pavel Nedved and Mauro Camoranesi, and forwards David Trezeguet and Alessandro Del Piero remained.

"Buffon, Nedved and everyone else that stayed made a courageous choice,'' club captain Del Piero said. "The club is going through a delicate phase, the most delicate in its history. My relationship with the team and the fans is special and I didn't want to give it up.''

Del Piero is more excited about this season than last, when he clashed with Fabio Capello.

"Last year I wasn't able to enjoy myself. Now the conditions are right and we can still win,'' Del Piero said.

Besides Deschamps, new arrivals include defender Jean-Alain Boumsong (from Newcastle), midfielders Marco Marchionni (Parma) and Cristiano Zanetti (Inter), and striker Valeri Bojinov (Fiorentina).

Boumsong is already being hailed as a new Thuram, for whom he was an understudy for France.

"He's a real defender, very strong and with national team experience,'' Deschamps said.

With Ibrahimovic gone, Del Piero has regained a full-time starting job. And Deschamps doesn't plan on using Del Piero in a winger's role like Capello sometimes did.

"To me, he's a forward. He expresses himself best as a second striker,'' Deschamps said of Del Piero. "He's not a classic No. 10, because a classic No. 10 plays behind two men. He's practically a nine and a half. The closer Del Piero is to the goal the better he is.''

Trezeguet and Bojinov are the other forwards.

"It's the first time I've been coached by an ex-teammate and I'm not sure yet how it will go, but the initial feelings are very good,'' Del Piero said. "That's the position where I express myself best and where I've scored many goals.''

Banned from European play, Juve should have its complete focus on the league.

The bianconeri will have a big target on their backs, with little-known teams like Crotone, Albinoleffe and Frosinone already circling Juventus on their league calendars.

"Serie B is also a fairly difficult league,'' Buffon said. "But I think we have a roster with enough quality that we can do fairly well.''

Buy on AliExpress.com

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
loosing in penalties to napoli is not worrying , we drew with them at sao paolo stadium which is good although we did nit play in full strength

Philipp00

Jan 31, 2004
We have lost a lot of our players. It will need a few games until the team will work together well. Nevertheless promotion with a 17 points penalty will be hard.

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
Aug 1, 2002
I forget who said this but this season every away game is gonna be like a local derby with fully packed loud stadiums, and every home game is gonna be playing against 8 man defences. and any team who trips Juve are gonna be heroes

its not gonna be easy, of course wer'e better than every team in B so were gonna be the team 2 beat and thats the wost part of being the top dog.
we have 2 be patient, its not gonna be easy, that 17 point penalty could kill us

francesco

Till death do us part!
Jul 25, 2006
17 point penalty? so what! somebody on here had on their nick that atalanta gained promotion having dropped 45 points last season.. and we are better than atalanta thats for sure!!

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Stripper said:
I forget who said this but this season every away game is gonna be like a local derby with fully packed loud stadiums, and every home game is gonna be playing against 8 man defences. and any team who trips Juve are gonna be heroes

its not gonna be easy, of course wer'e better than every team in B so were gonna be the team 2 beat and thats the wost part of being the top dog.
we have 2 be patient, its not gonna be easy, that 17 point penalty could kill us
:agree:

its going to be very tough, also playing in this physical tight league with no depth in the squad is a big thing imo.

Lets hope we dont get many injuries as the season goes on.

Philipp00

Jan 31, 2004
Stripper said:

The good thing is that we are used to that. Games against smaller teams in serie A were also very tough.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Stripper said:

It was Balzaretti who said that, he has played two season in Serie B and he knows what he's talking about.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
francesco said:
17 point penalty? so what! somebody on here had on their nick that atalanta gained promotion having dropped 45 points last season.. and we are better than atalanta thats for sure!!
agreed :agree:

Gill_juve

May 29, 2006
m_elayyan said:
loosing in penalties to napoli is not worrying , we drew with them at sao paolo stadium which is good although we did nit play in full strength
yeh and we didnt hav our full team it was important for us to see our faults

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
I'm not worried about -17 points deduction, I know Juve can overcome that, but problem will be in moral, I mean we win like 6 games in a row and have 1 point. That fact should demoralise every single player in the world...

But still I'm hoping for the best...

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

goggo said:
I'm not worried about -17 points deduction, I know Juve can overcome that, but problem will be in moral, I mean we win like 6 games in a row and have 1 point. That fact should demoralise every single player in the world...

But still I'm hoping for the best...
that's why professionals play for this club. :agree:

OP
vletrmx

vletrmx

Mar 22, 2006
  • Thread Starter #20
    no matter who will score more goals. good performance and good results are the most important. they are a team. at least they should be. we'll see if they manage to do that in serai b. good luck for them..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)