Juventus given wake-up call (1 Viewer)

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Adrian ] ++

you raise a very good point.

once again, it comes down to be being solid. capello has a quality starting line up, i did mention that. but its replacements are lacking IMO.

And lets think about things so far this season. The only rival team in terms of points is Milan. Milan havent been playing well which is understandable after having a very good previous two seasons. But they are looking better now. Inter is the only the real other team who is threat and they are only starting to gel together now and are performing some very good football.

Juve has been solid and are lucky that the other Serie A rivals havent really turned it on this season.

Full credit to Capello for the job he has done so far, but that doesnt mean he cant do a better job and be more offensive. We are top of the table and we cant score more than 1 or 2 goals a game, even if we play bottom teams.
I think you summed up the serie A season so far perfectlu. We have been good enough for the top of the table so far, but largely due to the slow start of our rivals.

About Capello, like everyone i'd like to see him play more attacking football. Yet I also think we should give credit where it's due, and Capello should get that credit.

Remember this is only Capello's first season, Moggi and Capello are slowly changing this team. I bet we'll see a very different juve next season.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
till the next one. when we already lost the scudetto
I would say Not Yet. But as soon Milan takes the lead- they won't let the top spot slip away.

Inter is playing Milan on the 26th while we are facing Roma at Stadio Olimpico the following weekend.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
A bit of the crisis meeting is being leaked out:

During that crisis meeting, when Capello adressed Del Piero and critisized him Montero and Ferrara stepped up. The latter two were defending Del Piero and were annoyed that Alex never played. They appearently felt it was like treason, DP being frozen out that is. And voices between Montero, Ferrara and Capello were raised.
I don't know if this is all true though as Ciro is a pinacle pro so, and so is DP. Plus, it's all being denied.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

I'm just curious but why do 78.649% of your posts contain this smilie: :(
how did you get that accurate percentage (78.649%), and why the hell you are annoyed by it:confused:

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
Here is my point of view:
Lets start with the management:
-They signed Capello who is well known to be one of the best coaches in the world
-They signed the following players:
1- Cannavaro (which obiously is one of the best defenders in the world) a direct trade with our loaned out Carini
2- Zebina: he was for free, plus he showed some good performances
3- Emerson paid around 12 million
4- Blasi back from loan
5- Zlatan: paid around 19 million if I am correct.
6- Mutu: for free but during winter

And signed out:
1- Maresca: on loan (this I don't understand I really wished he stayed, a very good player in the midfeild that we need but the budget was tight).
2- Micolli: part ownership, we have enough attackers
3- Davids: We got emerson and blasi
4- and lately Legrotellia, iuliano and Tudor: which I understand their performance has been weak

So I think the management did their job well in the transfer market, only down side is we dont have a very good replacement for Nedved, although Olivera/kapo might cover on easy to moderate clashes but not against big clubs.
====================================================
Coach:
Positive: Did well with th team, well organized especially after last season where all players weren't playing well. Motivation was back.
Negative: The Del Piero issue is very controvertial. I don't want to comment on that except I feel that he didn't handle the situation well. I am biased to Alex but I am not blinded.
In comparision with Lippi, the team feels less active and less surprising.
We won against Udinese because we changed the formation to 3-4-3 which was surprising.
Players:
Buffon: Gigi enough said.. no comments on that, best goal keeper in the world
Ferrara: I think he is now there to motivate the players more than paticipate in the matches. he knows that. Gave Juve alot in the past.
Tacchinardi: I read somewhere that the only person in the world that can actually tell him that he played badly is his mom LOL. He didn't play enough, but when he played he was ok.
Montero: His mistakes are life threatning. e.g. parma
Pessotto: Although he's aging, he's playing ok. Not spectacular but ok. He has to work on his fittness more.
Zlatan: He plays well. One of the most spectacular Juve players this season. Only downside that sometimes he does play team work which leaves the team'd hands tied.
Del Piero: His season hasn't been that impressive, reason well he's been injured alot. His fittness is still not 100% reached (thats because he is not participating with the 1st team enought). He didn't play enough but managed to score 7 goals never the less. I am positive if he played more he would have improved alot.
Nedved: Good season cut by unfortunate injury which left the team without a playmaker
Chementi: His participation in Coppa italia wasn't that impressive. But then again the whole coppa italia formation was not impressive at all.
Birindelli: Not playing well this season.
Camoranesi: Started low this season, but currently one of the vital Juve players.
Trezeguet: Give him time to recover from injury
Appiah: PLEASE SELL THIS PLAYER.
Zambrotta: Used and abused.. Still he was better programed with Lippi. Capello has still to find how to make him work. He is one of the best side players in the world. When he is working he is absolutely UNSTOPABLE.
Blasi: Great player and good season
Thuram: His placement next to Cannavaro showed his streangth.
Olivera: Started the season well, but his latest matches are disasters.
Zalayata: Good season, but he is a good substitute, not a first line player.
Kapo: Didn't take enough feild time to be judged.
Cannavaro: Best juve player of the season.

It seems that our problem is that we don't have a reliable replacement for Nedved. I think if Capello started playing 3-4-3 once Nedved got injured the outcome would've been much much better.
Currently Del Piero is the spirit of Juventus. This is something Capello has to understand. Del Piero got injured alot during the past 7 years. We are lucky that he is still playing and scoring. Many players who went through 2/3 the number of injuries are not even playing now.
I just want you all to remember 2~3 seasons ago when Del piero go injured. When he got back Lippi feild him no matter what, after few games he was back scoring. he ended scoring 16 goals in two consecutive Serie A seasons with Lippi. Mind you he is not a finisher, i.e. not trezeguet.

I think Capello should concentrate more on making the 3-4-3 formation work. This way the team feels more alive. Even after Nedved is back this formation feels more alive and ready to surprise.

Jan 7, 2004
you talk about Del Piero being spirit. lets say that is correct. now wouldnt you say that the true spirit is shown in the big game against the big team. now how many time has our "spirit" failed us on such occassion.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Dominic ] ++
A bit of the crisis meeting is being leaked out:

During that crisis meeting, when Capello adressed Del Piero and critisized him Montero and Ferrara stepped up. The latter two were defending Del Piero and were annoyed that Alex never played. They appearently felt it was like treason, DP being frozen out that is. And voices between Montero, Ferrara and Capello were raised.
I don't know if this is all true though as Ciro is a pinacle pro so, and so is DP. Plus, it's all being denied.
Where did you get this??I'd like to read the article.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
you talk about Del Piero being spirit. lets say that is correct. now wouldnt you say that the true spirit is shown in the big game against the big team. now how many time has our "spirit" failed us on such occassion.
Well thats true,, and I see Del Piero as a big boost for us during big matches. Just check the Matches of the CL. They were all tough, and he was there. Match against Roma and Lazio (although at Lazio he missed one easy shot. but never the less the team had spirit).
I won't talk about last season since the whole team was down. Look at the season before, the season where we played against AC Milan in the Final. In that season the whole team was playing well, but still you cannot miss that Alex Del Piero scored 16 goals in 24 games in the Scudetto and 5 goals in the Champions League.

So yes he does game the team a spirit boost when he's playing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)