Juve vs Milan (It seemed a good idea at the time) (1 Viewer)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Well these 2 clubs have dominated Italy for a while now, I was also thinking of how many dud buys both teams have had in the last 15 years or so. But who has done worse in the bad buying department. Well obviously I won't rememeber all the duds so guys and dolls please help me out

Juventus
1 Galia
2 Paramati
3Esnaider
4 o'neill
5 Blanchard
6 Ban
7 Arthirson
8 Salas
9 Kovacevic (ok he did aight but he on his cv he has played for sheffield wednesday for chrissakes:D)
10 Dimas
11 Baiocco
12nFresi
13 Leggrotaglie (jury is still out)

Milan
1 Orlandini
2 Blomquist
3 Andersson:D
4 West
5 Ba
6 Kluivert
7 Bogarde :D:D
8 Taibi :D:D
9 Lehmann
10 Dugarry
11 Ayala
12 Sala
13 Laudrup
14 Futre
15 Helveg
16 Rivaldo
17 Redondo ( bad luck thou)
18 Maniero
19 Borgonovo
20 Reizenger

to be continued

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
What about Simone Perotta??

I know that he's a decent enough player now with Chievo, but he never worked out with Juve.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Fred, Fred Fred.

How could you forget Thierry Henry??? I know he never really got any serious playing time, but still.

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Well these 2 clubs have dominated Italy for a while now, I was also thinking of how many dud buys both teams have had in the last 15 years or so. But who has done worse in the bad buying department. Well obviously I won't rememeber all the duds so guys and dolls please help me out

Juventus
1 Galia
2 Paramati
3Esnaider
4 o'neill
5 Blanchard
6 Ban
7 Arthirson
8 Salas
9 Kovacevic (ok he did aight but he on his cv he has played for sheffield wednesday for chrissakes:D)
10 Dimas
11 Baiocco
12nFresi
13 Leggrotaglie (jury is still out)

Milan
1 Orlandini
2 Blomquist
3 Andersson:D
4 West
5 Ba
6 Kluivert
7 Bogarde :D:D
8 Taibi :D:D
9 Lehmann
10 Dugarry
11 Ayala
12 Sala
13 Laudrup
14 Futre
15 Helveg
16 Rivaldo
17 Redondo ( bad luck thou)
18 Maniero
19 Borgonovo
20 Reizenger

to be continued
Sala should not be on that list because he was instrumental in the 1999 Scudetto and actually started many games in the second half of the season. More over, he was not a major acquisition or even a moderate one. Low expectation and he helped in a large way for the Scudetto: much like Ganz.

I would like to add to Juve's list:

Daniel Fonseca
Zenoni (was very promising)
Attilio Lombardo
Zoran Mirkovic
Casiraghi (not THAT bad for some but a stinker in my opinion)
Thierry Henry (INCREDIBLE!! Much like Vieira and Kluivert for Milan..just didn't work out)
Nicolo Amoruso (much hype about him)

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
Salas for Juve: bad luck

Helveg should not be there for Milan...yes he was not what he was at Udine..feeding Bierhoff BUT he was a solid defender albeit on the bench usually.
Would not categorize him as a flop though.

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++
Salas for Juve: bad luck

Helveg should not be there for Milan...yes he was not what he was at Udine..feeding Bierhoff BUT he was a solid defender albeit on the bench usually.
Would not categorize him as a flop though.
agree on both points.

where as you say that casiraghi, zenoni and amoruso were flops - well then brocchi is also a huge flop :stuckup:

lol, anyone care to start INTER flop thread? :howler:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Vilhelmas ] ++
:stress: We're running out of server space with all the Tacchinardi pictures as it is!

:D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andre 3000 ] ++
Fred, Fred Fred.

How could you forget Thierry Henry??? I know he never really got any serious playing time, but still.
i didnt forget him.but

#he never really got any serious playing time
#2.you cant just bring a 20 year pld to the Serie A,and then expect him to fit in in one season.

maybe i'm a bit biased,but i wouldnt call it a failure.

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Vilhelmas ] ++

agree on both points.

where as you say that casiraghi, zenoni and amoruso were flops - well then brocchi is also a huge flop :stuckup:

ahaha...well we Milanista's have a theory on Brocchi...we assume he has a talented tongue or he is related to someone higher up.

To be honest I mentioned those three because: Casiraghi I think is just a miserable failure everywhere he went...flashes of being a reliable striker followed by disappearing acts.
Zenoni because I was pissed when Milan shipped him off to Juve and Juventini laughed that they got rid of Pippo and got Zenoni.
Amoruso because I kept telling people "that kid can play"...

Inter..

hmmm

Pirlo, Seedorf to Milan

Coco, Helveg and Umit Davala to Inter...

enough said.

(The Coco trade ticked me off BUT fair to say we got the better deal....where the hell is Coco anyways?!!)

Dec 27, 2003
How did I not think of opening such a thread myself?

I think we should define the notion of "flop", though. A flop to me is a player on whom high expectations were placed and who turned out to be a huge disappointment. Therefore, I would not include guys like Galia, Helveg or Mirkovic in my list : these were ok players who were never asked to single-handedly lead the team to glory and who in fact played half decently.

Anyway, here are a few famous flops which should be added to the list.

Claudio Borghi : this offensive midfielder had made a big impression in the Intercontinental Cup final between Argentinos Juniors and Juventus. He was the first big buying of the Berlusconi era, as the latter saw him quite simply as the new Rivera. Sacchi did not share that opinion, prefering Rijkaard himself. But Berlusconi was determined to bring this wonderkid to Italy, and finally bought both Rijkaard and Borghi, who was sent to Como on loan, where he played about 10 games and never scored.

Luther Blissett : Milan bought him in the early 80's from Watford. He had a reputation for being an implacable striker and was expected to revive Milan's lost glory. The man scored about 3 goals in the one season he played for us. He once took a penalty that flew over the stands of the stadium. The fans renamed him "Callonissett", for his ability to dribble himself.

Ian Rush : the Welsh center forward was bought by Juve from Liverpool, where he had imposed himself as one of Europe's deadliest strikers. Him and Laudrup were expected to re-create the mythical Sivori/Charles tandem. Soon enough though they reminded Juve fans more of Cheech and Chong than anything else. Laudrup was given a second chance, while Rush was promptly sent back to England at the end of the season.

And here are a few other legendary flops from other teams :

Darko Pancev : they used to call him the "cobra", for his deadly scoring instincts. Soon enough Inter fans found another sobriquet for him : the "Lizard". Indeed, very much like the green reptile, Pancev liked to remain motionless in the penalty area, apparently taking a sunbath.

Kazu Miura : the first japanese to play in the serie A. He scored one goal for Genoa.

Hugo Maradona : Diego's brother. The "pibe" said of him : "he will become even better than me". A few anonymous appearances for Ascoli is all we remember of him.

Oscar Dertycia : he joined Fiorentina from Argentinos Juniors. He was seen as the ideal partner for Baggio. Needless to say that he was not. Borgonovo imposed himself as the Ponytail's alter-ego, scoring 15 or so goals. Therefore Borgonovo joined Milan the next season, where he went awol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)