Juve & The CL ? (5 Viewers)

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
tricky one this, in the scudetto you've more room for error but CL demands greater quality and increased risk, I'll go with the Cl being harder to win too

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Bürke ] ++
Whoa, whoa, whoa, you guys are saying that it is more difficult to win the Serie A than it is to win the CL?

If so, I think you need to re-evaluate your mental state.
I wouldn't say it is easier or more difficult, the ways to apporach both is totally different. Both need consistency, but the CL since it is a cup-like competition, a team can give it all in one game, something you cannot do in a league.

I say each has its own difficulties, with some luck needed in the CL.

Dec 26, 2004
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

Winning the Scudetto is something where teams can clearly have more control over their success than they can have in the CL. So in that sense, it's "easier" than the CL. But only if your team is set up to succeed to begin with.

But if your team is not set up for success over the long haul, you're screwed without a way of faking around that fact in the Scudetto campaign. I think it is much more difficult for an inferior team to win the Scudetto than it is for an inferior team to win the CL. The gruelling nature of the Serie A campaign makes it unbearably difficult for 'pretenders' to rise to and stay at the top.

It depends on what you call "difficult" then: is it what separates the big dogs from the pups, or is it a greater dependency on factors that are either fleeting or just more out of your control?
Agree

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005

Winning the Scudetto is something where teams can clearly have more control over their success than they can have in the CL. So in that sense, it's "easier" than the CL. But only if your team is set up to succeed to begin with.

But if your team is not set up for success over the long haul, you're screwed without a way of faking around that fact in the Scudetto campaign. I think it is much more difficult for an inferior team to win the Scudetto than it is for an inferior team to win the CL. The gruelling nature of the Serie A campaign makes it unbearably difficult for 'pretenders' to rise to and stay at the top.

It depends on what you call "difficult" then: is it what separates the big dogs from the pups, or is it a greater dependency on factors that are either fleeting or just more out of your control?
yes, brilliantly put :thumb:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

I concur with most of that, however inferior clubs such as Udinese, Everton, Shaktar Donestk, and others certainly have basically no chance of winning the Champions League this term. Previous winners Liverpool and Porto had the squads and coaches to win Europe, and even though they were underdogs they still had enough to win. The first few clubs I mentioned are even below the status of "underdog" to be honest, cuz there chances of winning are almost zero.

League and Champions League campaigns are extremely difficult to compare in terms of which one is more difficult. Some teams are more capable of turing up the heat in Europe, while others such as our boys can win league after league yet seemingly faulter in the CL. Juventus does not always have the extra spark to step it up for big European matches, while in Serie A we become a result machine. Perhaps in this respect winning the Serie A is much easier, considering you can basically step out on the pitch with basically the same gameplan every weekend (just about).

Islander

May 29, 2005
Any league is about grinding out the right results, week after week. It's about consistency.

A knockout competition like the CL, is about showing up in the games that matter, something Juve has had difficulty doing in recent times. Case in point our appalling record in CL finals...

Which is more difficult? That's debatable, but luck certainly influences the outcome of the CL more. Liverpool last season is a good example of that.

Btw, great avatar, Gino. :thumb:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
I concur with most of that, however inferior clubs such as Udinese, Everton, Shaktar Donestk, and others certainly have basically no chance of winning the Champions League this term.
Definitely agreed. But I would argue that Udinese might have better odds of winning the CL than they'd have to win the Scudetto this season. In fact, someone should check with the betting oddsmakers... it would be interesting to make a comparison for people putting their money where their mouth is on this.

I just checked, and Udinese's odds of making the top three in Serie A are currently about 1/66 whereas their CL winning odds are about 1/100. So that, at least, supports your theory of the CL being harder overall. (And when you compare 32 teams to just 18 or so, that's going to be a factor as well.)

Juventus does not always have the extra spark to step it up for big European matches, while in Serie A we become a result machine. Perhaps in this respect winning the Serie A is much easier, considering you can basically step out on the pitch with basically the same gameplan every weekend (just about).
Good point about the consistency you can pull in your gameplan over the long haul in Serie A ... which would undoubtedly have greater chances of failure in an elimination tournament like the CL. Juve didn't have a real gameplan to win in the CL beyond the "grind it out on defense, score an opportunistic goal" plan -- which is very one-dimensional. (Even though this worked like a charm for Greece in Euro 2004, and every opponent knew it was coming.)

The pitfall of the CL, however, is that Nedved's one-time, untimely suspension can contribute heavily to losing the tournament whereas it would generally be insignificant -- just noise -- in a Scudetto campaign.

Dr-Juve

Mar 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++
I agree winning the schudetto is easier than CL
which one is more difficult beating RM,MU or chelasea or beating
Milan
Inter
lazio
Roma
Palermo
sampdoria

not to forget that there are no easy games in the calcio, but there are alot of them in CL

CL is difficult only on its final stages

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
Capello made a mistake with Vieira. Liverpool broke Juve down because of the way they played.

We were plain, defensive, hardworking, and slow. Liverpool were active, and spontaneous.

We should have gone for a more dynamic player with some fantasista quality, capable of keeping the opposition on the wrong foot as they struggle to deal with him. This keeps them from attacking.

Islander

May 29, 2005
Although i agree that Capello could've made an effort to switch to a more fluid and attacking formation, and tried employing a fantasista, i think the fact that he wanted to stick to the 4-4-2 meant that Vieira was really the best purchase in terms of a upgrade, we could get.

And now with Mutu in the fold, i think our offensive option upfront are going to improve immensely, as Del Piero will have a more dynamic player to potentially link up with, and with Vieira, we will be able to start attacking from the middle. Sure, he doesn't have the vision or passing range of an archetypical playmaker that's because he's a DM, but he's still a good passer of the ball, and he does contribute well to build up play. This in tandem with Nedved's hopeful resurgence, plus Emerson's and Camo's continuing good form, and we have a mighty fine midfield.

Vieira is still the player that was the focal point in midfield of Arsenal's free flowing and offensive football. There's no reason why we couldn't conceivably be that for us as well. Although whether Capello's tactics will allow this, only time will tell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)