Juve cling on to 'tainted' titles (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Juve cling on to 'tainted' titles
Friday 25 February, 2005

Juventus have rejected calls to have their trophies between 1994 and ’98 revoked after the doping trial evidence was released.

Earlier this year the Turin trial came to a close with chief of medical staff Dr Riccardo Agricola found guilty of administering substances, including EPO, while director Antonio Giraudo was cleared.

However, the reasoning behind the decision was only released this week with potentially damaging conclusions from the trial judges.

These include the belief that “substances were administered in order to fraudulently strengthen their performances and therefore influence the results in competition,” while some top stars were accused of “lying during their testimony.”

Now that the details have emerged, the FIGC and CONI’s anti-doping commission can begin to stage their own investigation that could potentially – though it is highly unlikely – see the trophies from 1994 to ’98 revoked.

“Nobody can take away what we won on the pitch,” assured Juventus director Roberto Bettega amid growing calls for an historic judgment.

The player who came off worse in the judge’s summing up was Moreno Torricelli. “His version of events was created and his behaviour should be investigated further.”

This infuriated the former Juve star, who is now plying his trade with Serie B outfit Arezzo, and he pledged to defend his good name.

“This sentence offends me because I am not a liar,” insisted Torricelli. “I cannot understand why a judge would make such serious allegations and I know I did everything by the book. When they asked me about medication I took at Juve, it was going back four or five years and it wasn’t easy to remember everything accurately. I never took anything illegal and just had integrators because we played every three days.”

channel4.com

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    Fortunately it looks like we're going to be able to hold onto those titles.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

As if Juve is the only isolated case where the temptation for performance-enhancing drugs ever happened. :rolleyes:

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    Zeman: Juve ruined football Saturday 26 February, 2005

----------------------------------------------------------------

Zdenek Zeman has launched another blistering tirade at Juventus after the doping trial judges gave details of their conclusions.

“This doesn’t shut the case, it opens it up and the justice system has the duty to investigate and interrogate those players who are accused of lying,” slammed the Lecce boss.

Club Dr Riccardo Agricola was the only person found guilty of any wrongdoing in the doping trial, but the reasoning behind the decision suggested that several top stars – including Alessio Tacchinardi and Moreno Torricelli – lied during their testimony.

It should be noted that this is merely the first step in the complex Italian legal system and can be turned around completely on appeal.

This opens the door for the FIGC and the CONI’s anti-doping commission to investigate the 1994-98 years in which Juve are accused of using substances in order to improve their performance rather than merely treat injuries.

“Someone has to go to the bitter end and punish those who did wrong,” continued Zeman. “Those who cheated have to hand back what they undeservedly won.”

Zeman would be one of those set to benefit if the Bianconeri had their trophies revoked, as his Lazio side finished second to Juve in the 1994-95 Serie A season. However, it is highly unlikely the club will be forced into such a massive step.

“If an athlete is found positive for banned substances in the Olympics then he has to hand back the medal,” insisted the Coach in newspaper ‘Il Romanista’. “It doesn’t matter how much time has passed. So why should a team not relinquish a trophy?”

The Czech tactician started the investigation into unusual medicinal practices in football clubs with a hard-hitting interview and aimed one final parting shot at the Turin giants.

“The doping trial gave a horrible sentence for football and everyone who is a part of it. Juventus have wiped out four years of football in Italy, four years of passion.”

source: channel4.com

I expected this to happen, Zeman opening his stupid mouth again, and he says he is a Juventus fan. Wad a hypocrite.

Juve89

The Farmer
    May 27, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by ZhiXin ] ++
    Zeman: Juve ruined football Saturday 26 February, 2005

However, it is highly unlikely the club will be forced into such a massive step.
    ++ [ originally posted by ZhiXin ] ++

I don`t want that to happen:down:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I f**cking HATE ZEMAN!!!!!

May 30, 2004
    i dont get it why doesnt he just mind his own business .. he keeps sticking his nose in deeper whenever he can... i mean fine you opened a case for investigation ... thats enough man thats it ... every once in a while he gets bored comes says juve did this juve did that and mentions the drug issue .... saying it once is enough let the people in charge to take care of the situation... ur lecce's coach ... shuld transfer ur full concentration on them and let the doping trial go as it is.... hes soo damn annoying ... i wish he comes by my block.. and i ll cut his little head off maybe then he ll stop yapping

Amer

Feb 13, 2005
    nothing will happen , just paper talk
    Juve directors said something similar before girauodo-agricola trail, that they will be cleared, but as we see than didnt quite happen
    Club (and Moggi) should really use some of its influence to stop these fvckin atacks on us, some people want us ruined and I am not just talking about Zeman :(

Amer

Feb 13, 2005
    i dont get it why doesnt he just mind his own business .. he keeps sticking his nose in deeper whenever he can ... i mean fine you opened a case for investigation ... thats enough man thats it ... every once in a while he gets bored comes says juve did this juve did that and mentions the drug issue .... saying it once is enough let the people in charge to take care of the situation... ur lecce's coach ... shuld transfer ur full concentration on them and let the doping trial go as it is.... hes soo damn annoying ... i wish he comes by my block.. and i ll cut his little head off maybe then he ll stop yapping
    He is just jealous
    Srew him

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)