Juan Roman Riquelme (1 Viewer)

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
no, we'll settle for second best whilst other teams get the best in the world.

i think this time around, Moggi really needs to go for the best, even if it means spending the cash. We have plenty of players in the squad that could be replaced by younger cheaper players.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Riquelme would not enjoy playing under Capello because he will not be given the freedom to roam around the pitch as he pleases. I also doubt Capello will enjoy fielding him because he is not very good defensively and is one of those hated creative midfielders Fabio loves to neglect time and time again. I would take Riquelme because we desperately need his creativity in this side, however if Capello restricts his influence and does not give him a free role we will waste loads of money. Once again Capello makes or breaks the side...of course the latter is common 99% of the time.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
I didn't expect Juventus to bring in Riquelme anyway due to 2 reasons, which have been stated.

Even if Aimar is here, he needs to be played behind the strikers to make full use of him

Chico

Apr 6, 2006
ZhiXin said:
I didn't expect Juventus to bring in Riquelme anyway due to 2 reasons, which have been stated.

Even if Aimar is here, he needs to be played behind the strikers to make full use of him
Riqueleme would cost £20 million pounds, and for a player of his age, might be a bit too much, especially as he seems to struggle with the pressure of big team, as shown by barcelona. Cassano would be cheaper option, even though Riquelme could have been a new Zidane for us:D

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Chico said:
Riqueleme would cost £20 million pounds, and for a player of his age, might be a bit too much, especially as he seems to struggle with the pressure of big team, as shown by barcelona. Cassano would be cheaper option, even though Riquelme could have been a new Zidane for us:D
i disagree, i think Riquelme would not cost anywhere near £20million, i would think nearer £10m. The prices thrown around when Inter were interested in him at Christmas were £6m, his price will have risen slightly due to his impressive champions league performances.

I also disagree that he cannot cope with the pressure of playing for a big team. He was never given a fair chance at Barca playing some decent games, and was loaned out at the first opportunity.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
DelpieroForLife said:
In fact Totti is the best thing that might happen to our team... not a realistic one though...
More like the craziest, his a roman who hates Juve, we certainly cant or shouldnt go for players who hates playing for the team, thats a step in the opposite direction.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
Riquleme wasnt a great success at Barca because Lous Van Gaal didnt like him and didnt wanna start him and when he did stuck him out on the wing. he wasnt played like he is fort Villarreal and Argentina

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Just thought ill share some stastics about riquelme that I found on footballdatabase.com

Full name: Juan Román Riquelme
DOB: June 24, 1978
Birthplace: San Fernando, Argentina
Nationality: Argentinian
EU passport: No
Height: 182 cm
Weight: 75 kg

Club: Villarreal CF
Position: Attacking Midfielder [L, C]
Number: 8
Contract Expires: June 2009
Previous Clubs: Argentinos Juniors > Boca Juniors > (€11m) Barcelona > Villarreal (loan f. Barcelona) > (€7m) Villarreal (bough f. Barcelona)

International debut: November 1997, v Colombia
Caps: 24
Goals: 5
World Cups: none
Palmares:
U-20 FIFA World Cup (97)

Copa Libertadores (00, 01)
Intercontinental Cup (00)

Argentinian Torneo de Apertura (98, 00)
Argentinian Torneo de Clausura (99)

Argentinian League Footballer of the Season (C 99, A 00)
South American Footballer of the Year (01)
ArgentinianFootballer of the Year (01)

Per Season Stats:

Season Club Country Level Apps Goals
2004-05 Villarreal ESP A 35 15
2003-04 Villarreal ESP A 33 8
2002-03 Barcelona ESP A 30 3
2001-02 Boca Juniors ARG A 22 10
2000-01 Boca Juniors ARG A 27 10
1999-00 Boca Juniors ARG A 24 4
1998-99 Boca Juniors ARG A 37 10
1997-98 Boca Juniors ARG A 19 0
1996-97 Boca Juniors ARG A 22 4
1995-96 Argentinos Juniors ARG A 0 0

Interesting to note a few things from above..

1) his contract lasts till 2009
2) His time at barca when looking at the stats doesnt look to bad 30 starts with 3 goals. Not forgetting first season is always the hardest of seasons..
3) 15 friggen goals for villareal last season and his a playmaker is no doubt an eye opener.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
I dont think Riquelme`s age would be a problem, Nedved was 29 when juventus bought him.

The problem would be capello, because he would not know where to put Riquelme in the formation. :(

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
no, please not, if he would be 2 or 3 years younger, then, but not anymore. old and he aint gona improve his play anymore. he doesnt have as much desire anymore and he just isnt the one we are looking for. We are looking for a playmaker style of player, like nedved used to be behind the strikers. Ofcourse obviously all this talk is pointless if capello sticks with 4-4-2.

Trust me, right now, if we would get ballack, we would sell one of emerson/vieira and subs him with ballack on our 4-4-2 lineup.

but heck i wouldnt surprise if we buy joaquin, WHO IS A WINGER, and cap will change formation and use joaquin as a AM.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Il Re said:
riquilme has stated he wants to stay in spain, he will go to real madrid to replace zidane..............
Great that just sux... Cant think of too many other playmakers that could suit our profile.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
Aimar wouldn't be that great either. Sure, he's fast, but he's incredibly weak so not suited for Serie a physical, and he's injured at least ten times a season. Riquelme would be a much lesser risk then Pablito.

jaansu

Jul 12, 2002
Andy said:
Riquelme would not enjoy playing under Capello because he will not be given the freedom to roam around the pitch as he pleases. I also doubt Capello will enjoy fielding him because he is not very good defensively and is one of those hated creative midfielders Fabio loves to neglect time and time again. I would take Riquelme because we desperately need his creativity in this side, however if Capello restricts his influence and does not give him a free role we will waste loads of money. Once again Capello makes or breaks the side...of course the latter is common 99% of the time.
Agreed, so what we do is get rid of Capello and get a more attack minded manager.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)