John Charles (1 Viewer)

Robert E

Jan 22, 2015
In the late 1980s there was a benefit game held for John (and Bobby Collins) at Elland Road, Leeds - and a few Juventus players played in the friendly match. Michel Platini was one and he was still fantastic. I remember Scirea too, who looked a supreme defender. Ian Rush played too. Brilliant night though not a huge crowd.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Robert E

Jan 22, 2015
Hello again all, I hope all's well in the world of Juve.

My John Charles story 'The Gigante' is now at July/August 1957, the pre-season stage of his debut for Juventus. Please can anyone help with info and details on Piazza San Carlo, the club's headquarters (?) of the era, and also of their training base of Cuneo that summer?

I am told Piazza San Carlo was a storey above Caffe Torrino and that it was quite plush, used by the players to relax, dine, drink etc after home matches, but I've found very little actually written about it. And Cuneo, is that effectively a village, with a small stadium, all owned by the Agnelli family?

Again, I would be very grateful for any help here, and I would be proud to officially acknowledge anyone helping in the book.

Tanu_Mz

Jan 5, 2014
Hello again all, I hope all's well in the world of Juve.

My John Charles story 'The Gigante' is now at July/August 1957, the pre-season stage of his debut for Juventus. Please can anyone help with info and details on Piazza San Carlo, the club's headquarters (?) of the era, and also of their training base of Cuneo that summer?

I am told Piazza San Carlo was a storey above Caffe Torrino and that it was quite plush, used by the players to relax, dine, drink etc after home matches, but I've found very little actually written about it. And Cuneo, is that effectively a village, with a small stadium, all owned by the Agnelli family?

Again, I would be very grateful for any help here, and I would be proud to officially acknowledge anyone helping in the book.

Hi Robert, I spoke to my dad but unfortunately he does not rememeber much, he only saw a couple of live games back then, sorry can't be much of a help

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Thanks for trying1 Your dear dad might be surprised at how even the smallest details could help :D
I think someone already mentioned this here, but I think you're going to be more successful getting information over at VS (http://www.vecchiasignora.com/), where the Italian and, more importantly, Turin based fans are. Maybe you can get someone to translate for you (I'd do it, but my Italian is far too poor).

Robert E

Jan 22, 2015
I think someone already mentioned this here, but I think you're going to be more successful getting information over at VS (http://www.vecchiasignora.com/), where the Italian and, more importantly, Turin based fans are. Maybe you can get someone to translate for you (I'd do it, but my Italian is far too poor).
thanks again - it took a while for anyone to notice me there but now they have, it's been a great boost. Much appreciated you gents.

JuveLeeds

May 14, 2015
As you can teel from my username i'm from Leeds.

What a player John Charles was for Juventus and Leeds United.

He is spoken of in awe of his talent by some greta players in their own right, and that to me is the yardstick to follow when dealing with players form pre-TV days.

i was lucky enough to go to the Charles/Collins Testimonial at Elland Road as a young child.

My programme form the match had some nice autographs but sadly was lost during a house move.

Am an avid reader so look forward to your book on JC! I am from the South Leeds area and still see Lorimer regulary around Holbeck mainly in the Bookies!

Have some spare time today so gonna laze around the forum and have a bit of a youtube Juve session.

the morning after the night before eh! wowzers what a night

Dearman

Sep 25, 2015
John Charles was a world-class defender in a short time.
As a striker, he is rated as one of the best 20 strikers ever in history <nuked>
and is also ranked as one of top 100 players ever <nuked>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)