John Charles (1 Viewer)

alliance

Sep 8, 2011
In April 1957, I remember being taken to watch Birmingham City play Leeds United at St Andrews stadium in Birmingham. I happened to live very close by and Birmingham City is my team. My father who took me was born in Swansea and naturally favoured Swansea Town [now Swansea City] and since John Charles - also born in Swansea - was playing for Leeds United he readily took me to the game. The result? Birmingham City 6 v Leeds United 2. Both of the Leeds goals were scored by John Charles. He was absolutely superb. I can remember listening to the radio when the news of John Charles transfer to Juventus was announced. £65.000, considered a staggering fee at the time. I wonder what he would be worth today in the transfer market!

OP
Jem83

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
  • Thread Starter #27
    Wow. Imagine owning those.

He was a truly special player, and so many have spoken very highly of his personality. A true champion.

Once, when I was in Turin, an old guy working in the hotel I was staying at asked me where I was from and I told him that I was from Norway and came to see Juve. He was a tifoso from the old Boniperti/Sivori/Charles-era, and said something in the lines of: "meh, I don't watch the games so much anymore..." "BUT ..." And then he spoke a lot about "his Juve", and the player he spoke about the most was John Charles. And he did so with such enthusiasm. It made him get that sparkle in his eyes, you know? It was very cool.

Dec 31, 2008
    80 years after John Charles’ birth

December 24, 2011

If he hadn’t passed away before his time almost eight years ago (on 21 February 2004), John Charles would be 80 years old today. The ‘Good Giant’ was born in Swansea (Galles) on 24 December 1931.

His name will be connected to Juventus forever. He’s played for five seasons wearing Juventus’ shirt, from 1957 to 1962, giving his contribution to three ‘Scudetti’ and two ‘Coppa Italia’, in particular thanks to his goals - 105 goals in 178 games. Along with Boniperti and Sivori he formed part of a legendary three forwards, and his name is now among the 50 stars which pave the Juventus Stadium.

On this important day, Juventus celebrate the memory of their ‘Good Giant’.

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
    Apr 5, 2006
    I watched the documentaries on YouTube about John Charles.....He was/is so respected even today, so many football legends have so many great things to say about this legend that it brings tears to your eyes. I watched the documentaries and at one point i started tearing up. Especially when Charles himself was speaking.....he looks like the most wonderful and humble person in the world. Even now as im writing this i remember some scenes from the documentaries and again my eyes start tearing up. A great legend, up there with the most famous and greatest players ever to kick a ball.... RIP Mr. John Charles and i thank you for everything you have done for Juventus. :delpiero:

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
    It'd be interesting to see the club produce video packages (DVD, blu-ray, whatever) of some of the legends. Sell them on the store, or even better, make them available to stream on the website.

Robert E

Jan 22, 2015
    Hello all, I'd just like to let you know that I joined this fine forum because I'm writing a novel about John Charles' first season with the mighty Juventus. I was lucky enough to meet him a few times and he was as honest and genuine and amicable as all the reports say. Great guy, great player, The Greatest I would say! I am an ardent Leeds fan and I realize I won't be welcomed here by everyone, but I come in peace and I have a lot of respect and admiration for Juventus, thanks to Il Gigante Buono :)

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    That's awesome, Robert E. Looking forward to what you might come up with. :)

(P.S.: My neighbor and good friend was an ardent Leeds fan, but then he went to the dark side with their relegation and now supports Arsenal.)

OP
    Jem83

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
    Nov 7, 2005
  • Thread Starter #39
    Nice to have you here, @Robert E. I will definitely read your novel about Charles with great interest. I'm Juve through and through, but because of my father who is a Leeds supporter, Leeds is the team I root for in England. Been to Elland Road a few times in my life, and I also spoke to John Charles on the phone briefly when I was a very young boy (around 8-9). My pops and some other Leeds fans were getting shitfaced at Peter Lorimer's pub in Leeds ("The Commercial"), where John Charles spent a lot of time in the 90s getting hammered himself. They struck up a conversation with Charles and at some point dad called home to enthusiastically talk about it, and Charles for whatever reason ended up on the phone to say hello to me. I can't remember what he said, I just remember that he sounded really weird :D Obviously drunk, haha. Turned into quite a drinker in his later years, did Charles, as did so many players of his generation, sadly. But what a man, what a role model, and what a player. The "link" between Leeds and Juve that made it acceptable in my household for me to support another team than Leeds :D

Robert E

Jan 22, 2015
    That's awesome, Robert E. Looking forward to what you might come up with. :)

(P.S.: My neighbor and good friend was an ardent Leeds fan, but then he went to the dark side with their relegation and now supports Arsenal.)
    Not a true supporter then eh, Swag, your neighbour? :D

- - - Updated - - -

Nice to have you here, @Robert E. I will definitely read your novel about Charles with great interest. I'm Juve through and through, but because of my father who is a Leeds supporter, Leeds is the team I root for in England. Been to Elland Road a few times in my life, and I also spoke to John Charles on the phone briefly when I was a very young boy (around 8-9). My pops and some other Leeds fans were getting $#@!faced at Peter Lorimer's pub in Leeds ("The Commercial"), where John Charles spent a lot of time in the 90s getting hammered himself. They struck up a conversation with Charles and at some point dad called home to enthusiastically talk about it, and Charles for whatever reason ended up on the phone to say hello to me. I can't remember what he said, I just remember that he sounded really weird :D Obviously drunk, haha. Turned into quite a drinker in his later years, did Charles, as did so many players of his generation, sadly. But what a man, what a role model, and what a player. The "link" between Leeds and Juve that made it acceptable in my household for me to support another team than Leeds :D
    that's an amazing coincidence, Jem83! And very impressive. i know Peter Lorimer quite well, and I used to work next door to the Commercial for a few years and so I met them both in there a few times. John was a sweet bloke. i'm in contact with his first wife, Peggy, who is absolutely lovely, and she's a big help with this book. It's not just JC's story, it's Peggy's too y'see.

Thanks everyone for the great welcome. I was welcomed in similar fashion at the Juve Museum last year, a credit to your club and thankfully, the boys & girls working there could all speak English a little! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)