Italy's Pre-Euro2004 Campaign (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Anything that relates to the NT but doesn't deal with "what Italy should work on" can be posted in this thread. I'll start it off.

Maldini rejects Azzurri return
Thursday 16 October, 2003

Paolo Maldini insists that he has no interest in coming out of international retirement for Euro 2004.

"Nothing has changed for me at all," said the Milan stopper who didn’t want to comment further on the subject.

Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni was still hoping to tempt Maldini back after the Azzurri’s recent qualification for Portugal next summer.

"I’ve never abandoned the hope of having Maldini at my disposal again," said the tactician on Tuesday.

"A few months ago we told each other that we would talk more in the future. I would say there is a 50-50 chance of seeing him in the national colours again."

The Milan legend, winner of 126 caps, quit the Azzurri scene after the 2002 World Cup but Trap wants him to be part of his Euro 2004 plans.

Maldini’s teammate Billy Costacurta also believes that we will never see Maldini play for his country again.

"I think he will stick with his initial decision," said the defender. "In all honesty, another European Championship won’t make any difference to Maldini’s career."

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #2
    Pirlo dreaming of Portugal
    Thursday 16 October, 2003

Milan star Andrea Pirlo has set his eyes on being a part of Italy’s squad in next summer’s European Championships.

The former Under-21 international did feature in some of the Azzurri’s early qualifiers before he lost his place in the set-up.

"I am dreaming about playing at Euro 2004," he told the official Milan website. "But if I want to go there then I will have to play well for Milan first.

"Hopefully I can convince Trap to recall me even if I am well aware that those who played instead of me did an excellent job."

Pirlo was converted to a deep central midfield playmaker last summer which did see him used by Trap.

However, the national boss now prefers to play with Inter’s Cristiano Zanetti and Simone Perrotta of Chievo after their encouraging displays over the last 12 months.

"I am still improving though," continued the former Brescia player. "I am getting more experienced in the role and not making as many errors.

"In the last few months I have taken a step forward and I now lose the ball on far fewer occasions than I did in the past."

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    What do you guys think? Would it be better for Maldini to return to the Azzurri set-up or not? Is Pirlo good enough to get the nod, and why? Perrotta and Zanetti are doing very well, and Trap can still count on Tacchinardi, Gattuso, Albertini and others. Pirlo would bring more creativity to the squad, but I'm not sure that we need that as Camoranesi, Totti and Del Piero should offer enough, and Trapattoni is somewhat defensive anyways.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
    Isn't it too early to talk about who should Trap call to the Azzurri and who he souldn't now. Many things can change till May. we don't know who will be injured or Out of form by then.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    True that, true that, but judging by current form and that sorta thing, do you think that Pirlo should be called up?

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
    No I don't think so, Fiore is a better Option now IMO, and i would like trap to try Marco Marchionni of parma too in the next friendlies, the guy is very good.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #11
    ++ [ originally posted by Aragorn ] ++
    No I don't think so, Fiore is a better Option now IMO, and i would like trap to try Marco Marchionni of parma too in the next friendlies, the guy is very good.
    I've never seen him before but I should get a chance to watch him on Sunday when Parma take on Roma :thumb:

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    please, refer to the Juventuz Forum handbook n note that u must insert a smilie of a positive nature when insult a fellow forumer. This avoids confrontations.

now insert a smilie before i shoot myself n blame it on you people

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
    How would you blame someone while you are dead ?? :p

Stuart - yeah that would be a great match to follow, Gliardino and Adriano should be able to do all the damage.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    FootballItalia

Polish test for Azzurri?
    Saturday 18 October, 2003

It is reported that the two November friendlies for the Italy squad will be against Poland and the Czech Republic.

The Azzurri will be able to test new faces during the break in Serie A duty, as they have already qualified for the Euro 2004 tournament.

At first it was believed that England and Libya would be their opponents, but latest reports suggest Eastern European tests are more likely.

An agreement with the Polish Federation is in place to play in Warsaw on November 12.

Three days later Giovanni Trapattoni’s side would fly back to Italy in order to face the Czech Republic.

The side led by Juventus star Pavel Nedved qualified ahead of Holland in their Group for the summer tournament in Portugal.

Meanwhile, Trap has just returned from his trip to Portugal in order to choose the best base camp for the Championships.

It is believed that the Italy squad will be based in Lisbon, although Porto is another option.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
    Facing The czech would be a good test for the Azzurri, let's see how will Trap do this time !! I doubt The Azzurri can come up winners out of this tie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)