Italy ring the changes.. (1 Viewer)

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
Italy ring the changes
Sunday, 28 March 2004

An injury crisis has ravaged Giovanni Trapattoni’s squad ahead of Italy's friendly against UEFA EURO 2004™ hosts Portugal in Braga on Wednesday.

Sick list
Goalkeeper Francesco Toldo, defenders Alessandro Nesta, Fabio Cannavaro, Gianluca Zambrotta, and Nicola Legrottaglie, plus forwards Alessandro Del Piero, Filippo Inzaghi and Antonio Cassano are all unavailable.

Buffon cover
AS Roma shot-stopper Ivan Pelizzoli has been drafted in as cover for second-choice custodian Gianluigi Buffon while Matteo Ferrari, Daniele Adani, Giuseppe Pancaro and Giuseppe Favalli - who has been recalled for the first time since a 2-2 draw against Spain in 1998 - fill the berths at the back.

In-form Pirlo
Trapattoni also included in-form AC Milan playmaker Andrea Pirlo, as well as Simone Perrotta, Mauro Camoranesi and Stefano Fiore. Gennaro Gattuso and Cristiano Zanetti are also expected to be given a chance to shine at some stage. Without Del Piero and Cassano, Juventus FC pair Marco Di Vaio and Fabrizio Miccoli were selected to add firepower up front.

Italy squad
Buffon, Pelizzoli, Adani, Birindelli, Castellini, Favalli, Ferrari, Oddo, Pancaro, Panucci, Camoranesi, Fiore, Gattuso, Perrotta, Pirlo, Zanetti, Corradi, Di Vaio, Miccoli, Nervo, Totti, Vieri.

SOURCE: uefa.com

Buy on AliExpress.com

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
Great to see Pirlo, Pancaro and Gattuso as they've been doing very well.

Di Vaio reallny need to prove himself if he's going to beat Corradi for a spot in Euro 2004. I would say that for Miccoli too, but Cassano was ahead of Miccoli.

OP
Gandalf

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    probable start-up eleven..

---------------------Buffon
    ---Oddo------Ferrari----adani------pancaro

---------------------Gattuso

Camo------------------------------Pirlo

----------------------------Totti
    ---------------Miccoli

----------------------------Vieri

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    Flachi rocks my socks... He's the sampdoria dude right?

Shit I'm confused again. Is it Flachi who's the blonde one or Volpi?
    What a funny expression :D

Dunno, I always confuse the Samp players, I only know Flachi scored a cracker last night. :cool:

nusi

Mar 30, 2004
    italy must beat portugal in their own ground......

1-0 is enough
    2-0 is better
    5-0 is the best..

italy the best...

figo=doll

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
    I would like to see Italy play like this in this game:

---------------Buffon-----------------

Oddo---Ferrari---Adani---Pancaro

----------Pirlo---Gattuso-------------

------Camo---Totti---Di Natale-----

-----------------Vieri------------------

I would play Di Natale on the left wing (he plays well in that position).

I would also like to see Pirlo and Gattuso playing in midfield for 2 reasons.

1. Pirlo adds a lot of creativity and control deep in midfield. Gattuso strikes a good balance because he is a no nonsense ball winner.

2. Pirlo & Gattuso have a good understanding with eachother.

Pirlo is the best midfielder Italy has at the moment in my opinion.

We need to try Ferrari and Adani - to me this is the most important thing we have to test before Euro04. I am very concerned about our depth in defence this year if either Nesta or Cannavaro get injured or suspended.

I think we could realy benefit if Maldini decides to come back from retirement but only if Trap plays him in central defence which means he has to drop Cannavaro - sounds bold but I think its worth it.

When Italy is fully fit (and if Maldini comes back from retirment):

---------------Buffon------------------

Oddo---Nesta---Maldini---Zambro

-----------Pirlo---Gattuso------------

-----Camo---Totti---Cassano-------

----------------Vieri--------------------

The sub team:

-----------------Toldo---------------------

Panucci---Canna---Ferrari---Pancaro

-----------Zanetti---Perrota-------------

------Fiore---Del Piero---Di Natale-----

----------------Inzaghi--------------------

We have to STICK to this system this time. I am all for changing formations at club level but at international level you don't have enough games for the squad to get used to so many different systems.

The only variation I can think of is if we are leading 2-0 with 15 minutes to go...and we sub one of our 3 forwards for a regular midfielder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)