[IT] Serie A 2004/05 (10 Viewers)

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Or Palermo qualifying for UEFA Cup, as stated below

Toni targets UEFA qualification Wednesday 23 February, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Luca Toni believes his Palermo side will take a massive step towards UEFA Cup qualification if they beat Roma at the weekend.

"Now that we have collected enough points to ensure that we don’t get relegated, our thoughts have turned to the UEFA Cup," said the striker.

"We’ll face Roma without the suspended Francesco Totti and a win would be a massive boost to our European hopes."

The Sicilian outfit are enjoying a splendid season following last term’s promotion from Serie B.

They are currently one place and one point better off than the capital side, and even in a good position to qualify for the Champions’ League.

But the Italian international is keeping his feet on the ground. "Roma are in a much better position than us to finish in the top-four," he noted.

Toni is also enjoying a good season on a personal level, reinforcing his decision to drop down a Division in 2003 to join the club.

"I knew that we were about to start a new cycle here, that is why I signed," added the former Brescia player.

"I’m playing really well right now and being rewarded for all the hard work which I am putting in."

cource: channel4.com

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Oh believe me, it was. And unforunately yes, we have been reduced to this. I have absolutely no faith in this Juve team, sorry to say.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Ancelotti: Let's finish Inter
Saturday 26 February, 2005

Carlo Ancelotti has announced an all-attack approach for Sunday’s Derby di Milano and aims to end Inter’s Scudetto hopes once and for all.

“I am confident that we have the opportunity to eliminate another title contender,” said the Coach ahead of tomorrow night’s showdown at the San Siro. “I expect to see two teams going for it and leaving tactical considerations behind. It’ll be quite a show.”

The Rossoneri are without Andriy Shevchenko, Pippo Inzaghi, Jaap Stam and the suspended Giuseppe Pancaro, but latest reports suggest Serginho will be pushed up as part of a trident attack with Hernan Crespo and Kaka.

“The derby has come at the right time for us, as our confidence was boosted by the 1-0 win at Manchester United midweek and we are top of the Serie A table. The fixture list has been kind to us.”

Ancelotti reverted back to the Christmas tree formation in that Champions’ League victory, but concedes we’ll witness changes on Sunday.

“What are the chances we’ll see the same line-up? I’d say 30 per cent for the players and 50 per cent for the system.”

Serginho is something of a nightmare for Inter, as he scored the winner in 2002 and took a starring role in the 6-0 demolition that saw him set up three before netting the final goal. The Brazilian, nicknamed ‘Concorde’ for his pace, is effective as a fullback, winger or support striker.

“I’m sure Inter will create chances against us, as with their quality it is inevitable,” noted the tactician. “We must try to win and get even more scoring opportunities than them, as it would be crucial to dump them 14 points adrift of our position.”

Milan have won four of the last five derbies in Serie A and are undefeated since March 2002, when Christian Vieri scored the only goal, but Ancelotti isn’t counting his chickens yet.

“Today these two teams are on a par in terms of technique and tactical intelligence. Milan are perhaps more structured because we’ve been together longer, while the change of management at Inter this summer means they took time to find their balance. We know they are always dangerous going forward and it’s set to be an entertaining game with everyone going for the three points.”

channel4.com

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Stan doesn't fear the Diavolo
Saturday 26 February, 2005

Dejan Stankovic maintains that Inter are the favourites to take Sunday’s 259th Derby di Milano, though he was impressed with the Rossoneri's European performance.

“The Nerazzurri are more likely to win this because we are one of the best teams around,” said the Serb midfielder. “It really is that simple.”

The bragging rights have not gone to the blue and black side of the San Siro in Serie A for five years, while they haven’t won their ‘home’ tie in the League since 1997.

“I have played in local derbies in Belgrade, Rome and Milan, so I can safely say they are unlike any other encounter in the calendar,” continued the former Lazio star. “I’ve yet to win one of these games, so here’s hoping I break that duck tomorrow.”

Roberto Mancini’s men are 11 points adrift of the joint leaders – Juventus and Sunday’s rivals Milan – but have not lost hope of the Scudetto.

“This is a crucial match for both sides, as a win will put us right back in the race, while they have to stay top of the standings.”

Nonetheless, Stankovic concedes that Milan are on fine form after their 1-0 victory away to Manchester United on Wednesday.

“They played very well in the difficult venue of Old Trafford, winning with strength and character,” added the midfielder. “They also proved the side can do without Andriy Shevchenko. But we are not afraid of them, as we are strong tactically and just need to maintain our focus for 90 minutes.”

It’s something Inter failed to do last week, conceding a last-gasp equaliser against Udinese and falling further behind in the Serie A table.

channel4.com

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++
I hope inter win but i doubt it , it will end 2-2
I don't think Inter will win. Having said that, I don't think Milan will win either. I agree totally that it'll end in a draw. So if we can put our acts together, we have a 2 point cushion.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Comical stuff in Brescia. The match was in stoppage time of the second half and all of a sudden the flood lights went out, only with a few more seconds to play. Instead of calling the match right then and there the referee decided to wait for the lights to come back on, something that takes upwards of 30 minutes. Samp was winning 1-0, with only seconds to play, so the conspiracy theorists will be asking questions if Brescia do level the score in the last few seconds that the ref decides to play after this failure. :howler:

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Comical stuff in Brescia. The match was in stoppage time of the second half and all of a sudden the flood lights went out, only with a few more seconds to play. Instead of calling the match right then and there the referee decided to wait for the lights to come back on, something that takes upwards of 30 minutes. Samp was winning 1-0, with only seconds to play, so the conspiracy theorists will be asking questions if Brescia do level the score in the last few seconds that the ref decides to play after this failure. :howler:
:rofl:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Fiorentina 2-2 Udinese (Bojinov, Ariatti / Muntari, Di Natale)

Bojinov got his first Fiorentina goal but injured himself in the process. The home team led 2-0 btw.

Dr-Juve

Mar 11, 2004
I think it will be 2-1 for inter
Taking in consideration that this match is almost the last chance for inter to catch on if they are still interesting in competition

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)