Israeli-Palestinian conflict (81 Viewers)

Is Hamas a Terrorist Organization?

• Yes

• No

• Should there be a Jewish nation SOMEWHERE in the world?

• Yes

• No

• Should Israel be a country located in the region it is right now?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Wrong, equating it as you did is incorrect. There WERE designation of borders. Those borders belonged to the Greeks, Romans, Islamic Caliphates, Crusaders, Islamic Caliphates, Ottoman-Turks, and Brittish. Those are the nations who ruled this land, those were the borders of this land.
Wrong. Tribal divisions always precede those of the colonial authority, whomever that may be. Even today tribal divisions have more influence over national government. Go to Africa or South America and ask where someone is from and I guarantee that 90% of the time they'll identify via tribe or region before nation every time.

This was especially true even in times of the Caliphates, Crusaders, Turks, British and before that. The arab peoples had their own tribes (even the jews too) and were ruled over by an absentee ruler. Their tribes were almost like mini nations with small economies, laws, customs, etc. Examining any situation such as the Israel-Palestinian conflict, Rwanda, or Darfur in a macro-sense doesn't provide access to a full picture and understanding.

You can make as many broad based claims as you want, but until you understand the intracasies of the region I don't think your going to be very successful in you pursuits of debate here.

The difference in Israel is that the ruling class is doesn't recognize those divisions any more.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
So because they were under several colonial powers throughout their history, they do not deserve to have a country of their own?
I think for Palestine to have existed a fat man with a black suit needed to walk to Rome, Paris, and London and 'declare' that they exist and plead for their approval. Too bad this never happened.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
I looked in the dictionary for the synonym of state terrorism, the word i found was "Israel"
my housemate is writing his disertation and the big argument he has come up against is that a state cannot commit terrorism, only acts of war. Which is a difficult definition to argue against.

Want to know my wacky, out of this world, super liberal opinion of the israel - palestine conflict? (this is in responce to italian todd or anywhere else that loves a wacky rational thought)

Israel should not exist, but it does and we cant undo that.

Palestine have been taken the negotiation table numerous times to discuss a two state solution but have refused, or not attended the negotiations.

The way that Hamas (a terrorist organisation) behave makes it really difficult for the Israeli Government to get anywhere. No western state would put up with a terrorist organisation firing rockets at its civilians. But Israel have to recognise that Hamas are not a state actor and they have to use COIN (counter insurgent) tactics to deal with Hamas and the terrorist splinter cells that opperate from Palestine and not use Acts of War on a mostly innocent populase.

Was that a bit too wacky and liberal for you hard liners?

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Last I heard was that Hamas has done a 180. They've put down their guns and are going the other route. They're sending people to plead their cases to world leaders and are trying to rally support through media. That's also why you hear more about clashes within Palestine than you do on Israel; they're trying to deal with the small groups still wanting to wage war on Israel.

Anyhoo...that's just what I've heard.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #4,967
    my housemate is writing his disertation and the big argument he has come up against is that a state cannot commit terrorism, only acts of war. Which is a difficult definition to argue against.
    WoW.

Great source of information to be honest, you have. Your friend is writing a dissertation. So what?

Palestine have been taken the negotiation table numerous times to discuss a two state solution but have refused, or not attended the negotiations.
    Your source?
    Hamas (a terrorist organisation)
    Your source?

That was random, to be honest.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
    As i dont have access to my uni library i cant source you, im kind of 260 miles away from it. I have written three essays on the subject though, wheres your level of expertise come from?

And are you seriously suggesting that hamas are not a terrorist organisation?

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #4,969
    As i dont have access to my uni library i cant source you, im kind of 260 miles away from it. I have written three essays on the subject though, wheres your level of expertise come from?

And are you seriously suggesting that hamas are not a terrorist organisation?
    Hamas are freedom fighters. Zionists are the terrorists.

Omair

Herticity
    Sep 27, 2006
    Ok, since Palestine were never a self-governing region how about we band together and go to some region of the world and occupy it. It's just a suggestion .. maybe someone fantasizes some spanish territory, Indian territory, anyone? I know for sure that the Eastern region of Saudi Arabia were never a self governing region! Either under Saudi Arabia, Ottomans, Caliphate, Persians or just tribes! they're just parts of a nation. they have no right to live there. while we're at we should terrorize the hell out of them and make them run for their lives and then deny their right to come back, saying that they were never a self governing nation!! I like it!! as a bonus we can take all the oil in there!! All we need is approval form the UN!

Italia Todd, see how absurd this sounds? that's exactly how we're reading what you're saying ..

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    Ok, since Palestine were never a self-governing region how about we band together and go to some region of the world and occupy it. It's just a suggestion .. maybe someone fantasizes some spanish territory, Indian territory, anyone? I know for sure that the Eastern region of Saudi Arabia were never a self governing region! Either under Saudi Arabia, Ottomans, Caliphate, Persians or just tribes! they're just parts of a nation. they have no right to live there. while we're at we should terrorize the hell out of them and make them run for their lives and then deny their right to come back, saying that they were never a self governing nation!! I like it!! as a bonus we can take all the oil in there!! All we need is approval form the UN!

Italia Todd, see how absurd this sounds? that's exactly how we're reading what you're saying ..
    sounds like a plan, Omair, sounds like a plan...what do you think about Houston? sounds like a great place to occupy and terrorise the natives

Omair

Herticity
    Sep 27, 2006
    sounds like a plan, Omair, sounds like a plan...what do you think about Houston? sounds like a great place to occupy and terrorise the natives
    Houston? I doubt they are self governed, aren't they? or the capital of the US is all the way in DC?

we should make sure the legality of Houston.. but it really sounds interesting!

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    Houston? I doubt they are self governed, aren't they? or the capital of the US is all the way in DC?

we should make sure the legality of Houston.. but it really sounds interesting!
    bah, who cares, we just need to find an old British dude sympathetic to our cause and ask him to, oh I dunno, make a "Declaration" of some sort to make it viable to the international community...we'll be livin' it up in H-town in no time! :weee:

Omair

Herticity
    Sep 27, 2006
    bah, who cares, we just need to find an old British dude sympathetic to our cause and ask him to, oh I dunno, make a "Declaration" of some sort to make it viable to the international community...we'll be livin' it up in H-town in no time! :weee:
    nice! will other Texans get to play with our rockets? .. shame they won't be able to play, professionally, again :p

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Want to know my wacky, out of this world, super liberal opinion of the israel - palestine conflict? (this is in responce to italian todd or anywhere else that loves a wacky rational thought)

Israel should not exist, but it does and we cant undo that.

The way that Hamas (a terrorist organisation) behave makes it really difficult for the Israeli Government to get anywhere. No western state would put up with a terrorist organisation firing rockets at its civilians. But Israel have to recognise that Hamas are not a state actor and they have to use COIN (counter insurgent) tactics to deal with Hamas and the terrorist splinter cells that opperate from Palestine and not use Acts of War on a mostly innocent populase.

Ok i will subscribe to the notion that governments cannot commit terrorism but can commit acts of war.

So the Israeli government is committing acts of war. The Palestines have pussies that represent them in their government, so basically the government is not making any real effort to protect the people, thats where Hamas steps in.

Plus, lets not forget that Hamas was democratically elected by the Palestine people. So technically they should be the government, and hence cannot be a considered a terrorist organization by your definition.

Italia Todd

Dec 15, 2009
    So because they were under several colonial powers throughout their history, they do not deserve to have a country of their own?
    Why do they deserve a nation more than Israel? And the UN Charter did not TAKE their country away, they never had one. It GRANTED them a nation in the West Bank, etc. Heck, Jerusalem was a part of their land grant, but they did not accept it. They would only accept pushing the Jews into the sea. Well they failed and they will continue to fail. When they want to accept a free nation, they will have it. As long as they want war they will have it.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    Jews and Arabs lived side by side just fine before the existence of Israel. Matter of fact if you look at history Muslims treated the Jews better and protected them while everyone else was out to kill them.

Answer this: Why the hell do the Jews deserve to have their own country where other people were living? Whether it was a 'country' or not, please justify why they deserve to rule that land?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 74)