Is Milan next? (1 Viewer)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Is Milan next?
Some interesting scenarios are unfolding in the footballing world in three different countries. Looking at three super powers of Europe who have previously won the champions league it becomes obvious that a pattern can be found. Notably the disintergration of a team due to lack of a solid defence.

Juventus
This season Juve have conceeded way too many goals but this was concealed by a magnificent attacking display which rendered the 'immediate problem' hidden. Once Nedved a key figure in the midfield lost his form & a few key injuries in the strikers department the frailities of the defence came to the fore. You all the know how the story has gone.

Man. U
A prolific attacking striking force plus a solid mid helped propel Man. U to dominance in the EPL & succesful campaigns in the CL. Loss of form of key figures in the mid & injuries/suspension in the defence exposed them & they have pretty much followed Juve's path.

Real Madrid
The masters of the "it's all about attacking" game no doubt. They've always had defensive problems but there brilliant midfield & strikers have carried them to admirable achievements in La Liga & CL. Loss of form to Raul, injury to Ronaldo & boom they suddenly look vulnerable. And their lead in La Liga has been shaved to 1 point.

Conclusion
When you look at the above three teams it is clear that you can only go so far if your defence is shaky & your mid/strikers hit a plateau. This is where Milan comes in. Last night they displayed a beautiful attacking game that yielded handsome results. But, at times you could almost see that the defence was way too easily stretched. Their back 4 being Cafu(33), Costacurta(38), Maldini(35), Pancaro(33) is on their last kicks. I think if a loss of form/injury hits Kaka & Seerdorf then Milan will be the next team to follow the pattern set above. What do you think?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
interesting analysis Ali..

but, what helped milan is that they have more depth in attack and midfeild.. they always have the backup players ready and as efficient as the main players..

the defence problems in the 3 teams you mentioned could've been solved by bringing new defenders in.. but, those teams didn't.. and two of them have paid for it already..

OP
Ali

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    Depth is hard to measure. Milan have a few young defenders who may not fill the large boots afore mentioned. They also have a decent midfield backup but with the regulars hogging every match then the backups are indeed of unknown quality.
    We also have to look at the balance sheet. It is no longer guaranteed that any club can splash any amount unless they are Chelski. So it may not possible to replenish players on a whim.

OP
    Ali

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    Sally maybe you are right but then again look at what a week can do to a season! We got burnt badly.

Aug 1, 2003
    That's us, not Milan :p

lol no I didn't really mean that. I don't know, I don't think they'll get burnt this season, and perhaps they'll make some buys to survive next season, so perhaps they won't go down.

OP
    Ali

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    ++ [ originally posted by Gogeta ] ++
    We are milan we will never do badly
    Way too simplistic! Can you tell me what defensive measures are in place at Milan to forestall the case scenario I described?

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
    Nov 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Ali ] ++

Way too simplistic! Can you tell me what defensive measures are in place at Milan to forestall the case scenario I described?
    WHO CARES? Honestly....we want to WIN today..presently. As a result we have decided to sacrifice a few things such as the outlook in D .. when the time comes we will deal with it.. a strong defender here another there. Everyone laughed for buying Pancaro and Cafu...look at them today. Putting 23 year olds to shame. Look at Costacurta...TRAP wants to call him up. Like at Paolo. Enough said.
    Juve is in the same position defensively and they are not winning. It is not like Juve invested in their future and have to wait for it to pay out...while Milan decided to pick up Nesta Juve put their hopes in Legro.

OP
    Ali

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #11
    I did not say that Juve invested in the future contrary to that we stalled & it has snowballed on us. As for Milan, my thoughts are that the defense is a shambles but protected by a very good mid & attack. A thought you clearly do not ascribe to.

Ahmed_

Bench Warmer
    Dec 23, 2002
    Is Milan next?
    Some interesting scenarios are unfolding in the footballing world in three different countries. Looking at three super powers of Europe who have previously won the champions league it becomes obvious that a pattern can be found. Notably the disintergration of a team due to lack of a solid defence.

Juventus
    This season Juve have conceeded way too many goals but this was concealed by a magnificent attacking display which rendered the 'immediate problem' hidden. Once Nedved a key figure in the midfield lost his form & a few key injuries in the strikers department the frailities of the defence came to the fore. You all the know how the story has gone.

Man. U
    A prolific attacking striking force plus a solid mid helped propel Man. U to dominance in the EPL & succesful campaigns in the CL. Loss of form of key figures in the mid & injuries/suspension in the defence exposed them & they have pretty much followed Juve's path.

Real Madrid
    The masters of the "it's all about attacking" game no doubt. They've always had defensive problems but there brilliant midfield & strikers have carried them to admirable achievements in La Liga & CL. Loss of form to Raul, injury to Ronaldo & boom they suddenly look vulnerable. And their lead in La Liga has been shaved to 1 point.

Conclusion
    When you look at the above three teams it is clear that you can only go so far if your defence is shaky & your mid/strikers hit a plateau. This is where Milan comes in. Last night they displayed a beautiful attacking game that yielded handsome results. But, at times you could almost see that the defence was way too easily stretched. Their back 4 being is on their last kicks. I think if a loss of form/injury hits Kaka & Seerdorf then Milan will be the next team to follow the pattern set above. What do you think?
    Come on (Cafu(33), Costacurta(38), Maldini(35), Pancaro(33)) they are old but did u see them play against depor .. They defended like the best defenders in the world ... well they are the best defenders in the world

Srecka

Jan 22, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Ahmed ] ++
    Come on (Cafu(33), Costacurta(38), Maldini(35), Pancaro(33)) they are old but did u see them play against depor .. They defended like the best defenders in the world ... well they are the best defenders in the world

is it? er...maybe :down:

gray

Apr 22, 2003

Be that as it may, i'm quite sure their solidity will go down exponentially as each year passes. It would be a big mistake on Milan's part to wait until the above players start showing their age before lining up replacements for them

Srecka

Jan 22, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
    Be that as it may, i'm quite sure their solidity will go down exponentially as each year passes. It would be a big mistake on Milan's part to wait until the above players start showing their age before lining up replacements for them
    yeah~it's no longer :D

OP
    Ali

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #16
    Foremost I never said these defenders are crap. I watched the Depor game alright & there were moments when the Milan defence was stretched way too easily. Were it not for Depor's lack of ideas things might have been different. IMO what absolved the defenders was the constant attacks launched through Seerdorf, Kaka & yes have to admit Pancaro who in my books was outstanding.
    My theory is if a crisis hits such a team for example loss of form or injury to say Kaka, Seerdorf & Pancaro - We shall witness a change in fortunes for Milan.

It will be interesting to see how Milan react when the danger signs strike home.

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Gogeta ] ++
    We are milan we will never do badly

hahahah, pls don't talk anymore...:LOL:

who's the best team in italy???

who has 27 titles?
    who has 9 coppas?
    who has 3 or 4 supercoppas?

maybe milan :LOL::D

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
    Nov 16, 2003
    As for Milan, my thoughts are that the defense is a shambles but protected by a very good mid & attack.
    The current defence is in shambles?

Hmm...Trap and Italy are begging Maldini to return to the National Team.
    After years of absence Pancaro is being called up to the squad.
    Cafu is being praised as having an incredible year collecting TOP marks week after week.
    COSTACURTA (BILLY FRIGGIN COSTACURTA) was mentioned by Trap. just last week as a test he really wants to try out for the EURO.
    Nesta...enough said.

You call these defence in shambles????

What is there to say about the other teams then??

Or maybe your not using the right word..shambles means the current situation is terrible. If this is terrible Juve has a Serie C1 Defense.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++
    quite a "provincial" team...internationally=ZILCH
    Zilch?? A pit over the top, ey? Especially when you look at how close we've been several times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)