Is Del Piero Just Totti's Replacement? (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Despite some great performances from Del Piero of late,I am afraid that DP is merely Totti's replacement in the NT. As most of us know,the Roma man is out injured,and one must wonder what will happen to our beloved hero when the current "Golden Boy" of Italian football returns.

Lippi stated earlier on today that he is thinking of deploying a formation which includes Marco Di Vaio,David Trezeguet,and of course Del Piero. You would have to think that with all three of these players on the pitch at the same time that one of them would play in a deeper role,most likely DP. If Ale is lined-up as a trequartista then his place in the Azzurri starting lineup will be in jeopardy.

With Trapattoni as coach,Del Piero would find it hard to get into the starting 11 as playmaker,because Trap is an admirer of Totti. Therefore,he either needs to perform better than Francesco as a playmaker,or return to his favoured position.

What do you guys think about this?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
I think Trap is an idiot and should resign. Picking the useless Totti over Del Piero is a crime

JuveGuy

Aug 1, 2002
No way! I think Totti is a great player, but our Super Alex is the same as well, maybe better than the Roma fly on the wheel. They can coexist, but the silly coach doesn't think so...:(

So I go along with you, Violette. Somebody please voodoo the dotard!:D

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
i dont think DP will agree to play as a trequartista for juve. Lippi knows he doesn't like the position as much. and besides, i think the report that Lippi will play a 3 man attack means that both DP and Di viao will play behind Trez.

DP is not a trequartista. we all know that his role is different than Totti. i think Trap played DP there because he had to stick to a known formation (3-4-1-2) which mean that there must be a trequartista. we all know totti is injured, so DP was just playing a temp role to give trap the long awaited positive result.

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    DP is not a trequartista. we all know that his role is different than Totti. i think Trap played DP there because he had to stick to a known formation (3-4-1-2) which mean that there must be a trequartista. we all know totti is injured, so DP was just playing a temp role to give trap the long awaited positive result.
    I understand that DP was only playing as a trequartista because Totti was injured,but this is what confuses me. Why not play Del Piero upfront in his favoured position,and play somebody that is used to the playmaker position e.g. Doni or Pirlo.

I guess one of the reasons Ale played as a trequartista is because Trap didn't want to have players like Inzaghi on the bench. If DP had played upfront then Inzaghi would be dropped to the bench,so Trapattoni asked Alex to play behind the two strikers so that all 3 players (Vieri,Inzaghi,DP) could play at the same time.

It's still a bit baffling nevertheless though...

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    totti is a grat player(and actor ;)) but i agree with JuveGuy, trap is narrowminded to only include one of the two most creative and briliant trequartistas in Italy. it's a crime. i pray that DP performs better than totti in the Serie and return as favourite

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    I saw the game and believe me Dp is no playmaker, it was like playing 3 forwards in the first half, whether you like him or not Totti is the best trequartista in Italian football

The problem is not whether Dp or Totti plays, its the fact that Trap feels more comfortable playing Vieri and Inzaghi upfront and the only reason he played Dp as the trequartista is because he wanted to accommodate those 2 players and he has no faith in playing more than 1 creative player at a time

Trapatoni will only play 2 creative players if he can play 8 defensive players too

Me personally i will play

------------------------------------Buffon-----------------------------

-------oddo--------------Cannavaro---------Nesta---------------Zauri

---------------------------------Albertini/Pirlo_____________________

------------Fiore/Doni-------------Ambrosinni-------------------

--------------------------------Totti------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------Delpiero-----------------

-------------------------------------Vieri----------------------------------------

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    I would play

----------------------------Buffon----------------------------
    -------Cannavaro-------Nesta--------Iuliano------------
    Zambrotta---DiBiagio-----------Doni---------------Coco
    ----------------------------Totti------------------------------
    --------------Montella------------DelPiero-----------------

or maybe divaio instead of montella not sure..

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    I agree with denco, DP is by no means Totti's replacement .. they play at different positions, Totti is more comfortable behind the strikers, while DP is more comfortable as a striker .. When Totti returns from injury, its up to Trap to play DP with Vieri up-front or drop him for Inzaghi ..

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    ---------------------GK
    ---Canna------------Nesta-------DL
    ------------------DM
    ----Zambrotta-----------------Doni
    ----------------------Totti
    -----------------------DP
    --------------Vieri---------Inzaghi

there...that should do it

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #15
    Doni,Totti,Del Piero,Inzaghi and Vieri in the same side at the same time? Not with Trapattoni as coach. With all do respect,Trap has to be an idiot to say that Totti and DP cannot co-exist. That is madness.

--------------------------------------Buffon
    ----------------Cannavaro--------------------------Nesta
    ----Oddo----------------------------------------------------------------Zauri
    ----------------------------RCM-----------------Ambrosini
    ----Zambrotta
    ---------------------------------------Totti
    -----------------------------------------------------Del Piero
    ---------------------------------------Vieri

Similar to what Trap played against Azerbaijan. Oddo and Zauri replace Panucci and Coco respectively,while Ambrosini gets the nod. Either Tommasi,Gattuso or Brighi will fill the RCM (right central mid) spot. Totti returns to the squad and Inzaghi is dropped to the bench. Del Piero stays in the starting lineup,playing slightly behind Vieri and slightly infront of Totti.

delpi25

Jul 16, 2002
    ------------------------------------Buffon-----------------------------

--------------Cannavaro---------Nesta---------------Coco

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---Zambrotta-------------Ambrosinni-------Di Biagio-------Fiore-----

----------------------------Totti------------------Delpiero-----------------

-------------------------------------Inzaghi-------------------------------------

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Okay my team maybe a tad too adventurous for Italy but i picked it because i feel Doni or Fiore as right sided midfielder can both cross the ball and be creative as well something that Zambrotta is not and as Italy do not have any decent wingers imo i have opted not to use any wingers

Albertini and Ambrosini can both win the ball and pass it and thats why i prefer them to Di Biagio who is always looking for the long ball which he gets once out of maybe 15 attempts, Gatusso who has no biz on a football field, Tomassi who is just a ball winner

The full backs are very good going forward and can both cross the ball while Panucci is not good going forward and his defending is getting real bad

I feel Zambrotta and Coco have benefitted from the fact that they have no real competition, thats why ppl rate them so highly, i just feel they might just be the best in a mediocre competition thats why i have not opted for either

people ignore the amount of work rate that Doni and Fiore bring to their individual talent

In fact in my team the only players whom do not work that hard are Totti and Vieri but they are very important

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)