Is Creativity Needed? (1 Viewer)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #21
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    Milan are good because every ****ing player defends. whilst they have a brilliant counter attacking forward line. Juve are conservative but perhaps are the mid point for defensive teams like milan and attacking teams like real. if we replaced camo with a more creative more attacking player we would be set. although how many teams have zambro? so were well balanced

my definition of a creative side:
    a team that can score from many differint ways (i.e. long ball and 20pass goal) and a team that has goals that can come from almost all the players (best example was madrid with r. carlos in defense, zidane, becks, figo in mid, and all the forwards)
    But that's a case, at least for the current season, of a team who is creative, but does not get the job done. They might be highly creative, passing the ball around with aplomb, but when the ball reaches the 18 the goal mouth is left begging. Like I said before, you can create as many chances as you want, but if nobody is going to score them then creativity is useless. That's one of my sticking points to how team creativity is not always beneficial, and team defense is IMO the most important aspect of the game nowadays.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Alex

May 1, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

But that's a case, at least for the current season, of a team who is creative, but does not get the job done. They might be highly creative, passing the ball around with aplomb, but when the ball reaches the 18 the goal mouth is left begging. Like I said before, you can create as many chances as you want, but if nobody is going to score them then creativity is useless. That's one of my sticking points to how team creativity is not always beneficial, and team defense is IMO the most important aspect of the game nowadays.
    Madrid have been using the same system for at least the last 7 years. This season and the last they have suffered because of "foolish transfers" and the inbalance that has caused the side. But Madrid with Makelele, a defensive mid of the highest quality was almost unbeatable.

your point about defensive teams being so great is valid but imo also risky in that one slip up, one gap in concentration, one free kick etc could be the game. It is most likely that a great team that is very attacking will get more points than a great team that is very defensive.

All in all balance is key i guess. Juve are very balanced currently...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I think what BayerFussball meant was that having a solid defence is key to winning championships

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++

Madrid have been using the same system for at least the last 7 years. This season and the last they have suffered because of "foolish transfers" and the inbalance that has caused the side. But Madrid with Makelele, a defensive mid of the highest quality was almost unbeatable.

All in all balance is key i guess. Juve are very balanced currently...
    Madrid are a model of inconsistency, which other teams should avoid copying. Your paragraph above, sums up their situation - i.e. inbalanced.
    Thanks in large part to their transfer policy, but lets not forget the point you made above which sees a team full of attacking players both in defense and attack. That is a contradiction to the idea of creative sides being better equipped to win than sides with a more cautious approach. You've got to remember, that even the best creative players in the world cannot assure you results. Juve, are different in their beliefs, and although theyre only second to Madrid as far as success goes, they've definitely been the more balanced team in the last decade, and also the more consistent. Which, to me is the key to success.

Quality doesnt win you championships, quality football does.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Nicole ] ++
    so the Greek National team didnt score any goals at Euro2004? I dont think Charistias (sp?) would like that!

Greece 1 France 0
    Greece 1 Czech Republic 0
    Greece 1 Portugal 0

3 goals in the knockout stages. The minimum number of goals a team requires in the knockout phase to win a tournament is hardly the sign of attacking flair, whether Charistias likes it or not. That too, thanks in no small part to a defense that dint let in even a single goal during this time.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
    It doesnt matter really. I dont believe you HAVE to have a good defense to win, look at Brazil. Even Materazzi would lose good in there Defence!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Brazil's an isolated case and you know it. Very few teams in the world can rely on simply scoring more than their opponents every single match. Everyone though Real could keep on doing it, but as soon as they stop scoring goals, they lose matches.

Maybe it's the Italian football fan in me saying this, but having a solid defence and balanced attack is IMO a much more reliable strategy than going gung-ho in attack

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
    Italy could win on the basis of scoring more then the opposing team, after all for crying out loud, has the fact that we always seem to revert to playing defensive when we were winning done us any favours? It doesnt work! We havent won anything since 1982, saying that how can anyone think it makes you win championships, Greece is an exceptional case, because despite the fact that they played quite well, and from a defensive point of view, deserved to win the Euro, but bar that when was the last 'defensive-minded team' to win anyhting?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Nicole ] ++
    Italy could win on the basis of scoring more then the opposing team, after all for crying out loud, has the fact that we always seem to revert to playing defensive when we were winning done us any favours? It doesnt work! We havent won anything since 1982
    Playing defensively is different from having a good defence. Look at Juve for example. Nobody can argue that we have a solid defence, but then again you can't really say we play defensively either, as our goalscoring record shows.

I guess I can't really argue with history, but teams like Real Madrid and Lecce have shown us that trying to score 4 goals in every match isn't a reliable winning strategy.

Len

Feb 13, 2004
    I think we need someone like Deco or Ronaldinho in the new future.......it makes attractive football....

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    to be honest, i'd rather play ugly football and win than play attractive football and run the risk of ruining our system

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    tell me you wouldn't be celebrating more if Roma won on penalties. I highly doubt you'd be jumping up and down celebrating if Roma played attractive football and lost 4-5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)