Iraq suspended from the Olympics (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Elaborate, please :)
Politics in the sports arena I mean. Didn't bother to read the story carefully, but it seems like the classic tale of corruption and meddling in domestic sports. I've seen this happen in football a bunch of times. An international authority like IOC (Uefa, whatever) obviously doesn't want to allow this, because they have their rules and if one member starts doing whatever the hell they want on the domestic arena then soon there will be others and they lose the power they currently have. So they obviously suspend/ban/whatever said member until the situation is rectified. Which tends to be effective.

Of course, this is a good thing as long as the international body is one we trust. If we don't (Fifa?) then the whole thing becomes a farce and all you can do is throw your hands up in the air.

As for the athletes, all they are is pawns, they don't matter. These decisions are made far above their heads. If you want to ask "is it fair to the athletes" they you might as well ask that of the domestic instigators who were supposedly hired to do a job and should have known that there is precedent for corruption in domestic sports. But they don't care (obviously), neither does IOC.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Probably better for the athletes anyway. The Chinese government probably has them all listed on their potential terrorist list.

Along with half of the rest of the world.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Probably better for the athletes anyway. The Chinese government probably has them all listed on their potential terrorist list.

ya, i just found out that i too am on the chinese governments potential terrorist list. but the strange thing is that i found out while getting pre-approved for a home loan at the bank.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

At first I thought you said "along with the other half". That would have been funnier.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
No one seems to ask himself why.. What did Iraq do the last four years that makes it impossible for them to compete? I sure as hell would like to know. What a travesty, being punished for being occupied by foreign forces.

I mean, the reason they give is so obviously bullshit. Frankly I feel insulted, I mean.. how can they expect us to believe it?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
This is a plus for Iraqis. With the risk of lung cancer from the Beijing air, they don't need any more unnecessary deaths.

They should ban more countries from these games, ones that have poor life expectancy rates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)