Iraq. Is it better now?? (AKA ISIS/ISIL/IS/name-of-the-week-here) (7 Viewers)

Is Iraq better now?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I disagreed with the law and order part. Safety and security might be a different issue, but when a dictator is running the show, there can be no law. Law, by definition, is not fickle. Dictators are.
I knew it was the law and order part.

What i meant is that even in a dictatorship where written law is not consistently enforced(its bended to suit the dicators interests) people still know what the red lines are, and you don't have to be afraid for your life, so long as you don't get in that dictators way.

The Americans are doing a bad job in keeping the sectarian conflict in check, and in turn, security has become extremely bad in Iraq.

I am originaly from Iraq and I lived there until I was 18. I am visiting Iraq once a year and I can say it is better now or it will get better..
Not true at all. Almost all the Iraqi's i know haven't went to Iraq ever since American occupation. Things are a mess over there right now. Where exactly in Iraq are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
Lots of work to be done.

A stable government needs to come into place to promote social and economic purposes and the Army should be ready to promote peace and security for the region. I am quite skeptical on the two.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I gotta like not having a dickhead for a dictator, though I gotta be pissed off about my neighbors blowing shit up all the time.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I knew it was the law and order part.

What i meant is that even in a dictatorship where written law is not consistently enforced(its bended to suit the dicators interests) people still know what the red lines are, and you don't have to be afraid for your life, so long as you don't get in that dictators way.

The Americans are doing a bad job in keeping the sectarian conflict in check, and in turn, security has become extremely bad in Iraq.
The only thing that's going to bring better security to Iraq is better Iraqi government. At some point you've got to take off the training wheels. The US is definitely not popular and wheel chair government we've set up is "scrutinized" by the citizens. We needed to pull out and take a spectator's seat years ago.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
The only thing that's going to bring better security to Iraq is better Iraqi government. At some point you've got to take off the training wheels. The US is definitely not popular and wheel chair government we've set up is "scrutinized" by the citizens. We needed to pull out and take a spectator's seat years ago.
Oh definitely. But Iraq is a diverse country not only in a racial sense, but also in a religious one, and the latter is what has been the source of problems for centuries now. The trick is, to get a government that can keep the sectarian conflict in check.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Impossible in the long term, sectarianism may go away for a short while but it comes back inter-generationaly.

Sectarianism can't be removed easily in Iraq, the conflict has been on for centuries, people don't forget so easily. But you need to have a government that stops different sects from blowing the other one up. Thats all i ask for. For all his negatives at least Saddam did that.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh definitely. But Iraq is a diverse country not only in a racial sense, but also in a religious one, and the latter is what has been the source of problems for centuries now. The trick is, to get a government that can keep the sectarian conflict in check.
Religion has been a problem for centuries now?

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Sectarianism can't be removed easily in Iraq, the conflict has been on for centuries, people don't forget so easily. But you need to have a government that stops different sects from blowing the other one up. Thats all i ask for. For all his negatives at least Saddam did that.
Bit of Stalin syndrome methinks. In hindsight people who didn't suffer tend to underplay the nepotism and brutality of the regime. It's the same in Yugoslavia and the former Soviet republics.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Bit of Stalin syndrome methinks. In hindsight people who didn't suffer tend to underplay the nepotism and brutality of the regime. It's the same in Yugoslavia and the former Soviet republics.
I'm Libyan, Libya is almost like former Iraq.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)