International friendly: Italy v Portugal (1 Viewer)

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
Wednesday, February 12, 2003
Genoa, Italy

Italy vs. Portugal

The squad will be named February 8, which is this Saturday. I believe this is Luiz Felipe Scolari's first match in charge of Portugal.

Anyway, still a week until the match starts, so I guess early talk will be about who gets picked. It's quite obvious that Camoranesi will be selected, and rumours suggest Miccoli might be chosen. Not sure about Di Natale, who was the best player in the Turkey match. He was injured, and I don't know how much or how well he's played lately.

There are also more stories calling for Baggio to get selected, especially after Del Piero's injury.

So, predictions, comments, opinions on the upcoming match?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
i read in Rai that Baggio won't be selected (it was in italian, so i'm not completely sure)

Camo seems like a must.
Zambrotta, Iuliano, and Buffon will also be called.

I hope Miccoli gets a chance. i think he can do great.
Maresca and Brighi are up at the level too.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
he really is a :fool:

but if you want Baggio in, then there are players like Zola who are doing a hell of a lot better than Baggio at the moment.

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
Trapattoni Still The Problem - Baggio

02/05/2003. Despite Roberto Baggio's fine recent form and calls for him to be included in the Azzurri squad, the Brescia forward still acknowledges the barrier between him and his dream.

"I'm in really good shape both physically and mentally," he said.

"I'm happy that so many people are appreciating what I'm doing on the pitch but I still have the same problem - the national boss is Giovanni Trapattoni."

The former Fiorentina coach still apparently maintains that Baggio's good form won't be enough to get him selected for the friendly with Portugal on February 12.

SA Italy

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
Great :rolleyes: The only friendly I get to watch on tv is England vs Australia :down: ...but I want to watch this match so much...*sob* esp. with the likely debut of a certain person :down:

-S-

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Hopefully Camo can impress in the Azzurri shirt just like he did in blackandwhite.:)

As for the Baggio situation,I don't think he should be called up. It would make more sense to give youngsters like Di Natale,Maccarone and Miccoli a run in DP's absence.

P.S. I was looking forward to watching DP battling with Figo.:down:

Anastacia

Jul 12, 2002
baggio deserves a shot in the national team for what he is doing with brescia and what he has already done for the national team in the past. but, looking at the situation here were trap should be concentrating on the euro qualifiers and beyond that (if he stays), i think he will give miccoli a chance to feature in the national team ahead of baggio. i would also nominate lazio's fiore and inter's pasquale to play in this friendly, the former is in sparkling form.

OP
danielão

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #19
    Goalkeepers: Ricardo Pereira (Boavista), Quim Silva (Braga)

Defenders: Marco Caneira (Bordeaux, France), Paulo Ferreira (Porto), Nuno Valente (Porto), Fernando Couto (Lazio, Italy), Jorge Andrade (Deportivo Coruna, Spain), Ricardo Rocha (Benfica), Fernando Meira (VfB Stuttgart, Germany), Rui Jorge (Sporting)

Midfielders: Rui Costa (AC Milan, Italy), Francisco Costinha (Porto), Sergio Conceicao (Inter Milan, Italy), Luis Figo (Real Madrid, Spain), Pedro Mendes (Vitoria Guimaraes), Tiago Mendes (Benfica), Miguel Miranda (Benfica), Silas Fernandes (Uniao Leiria)

Forwards: Simao Sabrosa (Benfica), Pauleta Resendes (Bordeaux, France), Helder Postiga (Porto), Luis Boa Morte (Fulham, England).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)