International friendly: Italy v Portugal (1 Viewer)

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
I suppose you think that if Baggio were called up, Italy would become great again!
I don't know, but one thing is sure... It can be worst than is now, is impossible!
I think a coach can decide to exclude the most rapresentative player of a country when he win a WC or at least lead a good team... but when you loose by Korea, Croatia, Slovenia and Wales, and you have a ridicolous team no! It's no sense... it looks like he want to revenge with the whole country 4 the pressure he had before and during the WC 4 Baggio... not calling him now that he's healty is really absurd...
Then of course It will be impossible 4 Baggio to transform that group of gosts who were in Japan this summer in a group of lions, but ther's nothing too loose with him... cause the "without Baggio" NT, is the worst we ever seen.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I for once must agree with Trapattoni. Baggio is 35 years old,and it makes no sense calling him up when promising players in their early 20s are available.

P.S. What do you guys think about the 4-2-3-1 formation that Trap is going to try out on Wednesday? I like it alot,and if Camo,Fiore,Totti,DP and Vieri happen to be fit at the same time,it could work wonders.

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
Here's the matches I can see tonight:

- China vs Brazil (Ch I) - Live
- France vs Czech (Ch5) - Live
- Spain vs Germany (Ch5) - Delayed
- England vs Australia (Supersports) - Live
- Holland vs Argentina (Ch I) - Live (..and a repeat of this on Sunday too)

That's about it :down: No Italia ....

Why? :frown: *sob*

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
what exactly is a 35 year old has-been going to add to the national team? sorry but I can't see him skinning 5 defenders and scoring!

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
Trap reveals Real-style Italy Tuesday 11 February, 2003

Giovanni Trapattoni has announced the 4-2-3-1 formation to play Portugal on Wednesday will copy Real Madrid’s tactics.

“It is similar to the Spaniards,” confessed Trap, “but not a carbon copy. It is an agile, fresh line-up with the quality to entertain and get results.”

The Coach will give starting places to debutantes Fabrizio Miccoli, Mauro Camoranesi and Bernardo Corradi at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris. Gianluca Zambrotta will also test out his new left-back position at international level.

“It can be compared to Real Madrid,” he added, “but with an Italian twist. I must adapt to the characteristics of my own players.”

It is a tactic also used by Empoli in Serie A this season. The press hinted that the decision to scrap the 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 was prompted by the spate of injuries to Alessandro Del Piero, Francesco Totti and Christian Vieri.

“That is not true,” noted the former Inter and Juventus boss. “Had those stars been at my disposal I still would have tested out this new style of play.”

The line-up was tried out during training on Tuesday evening, but we are likely to see sweeping changes during the half-time break of this friendly encounter.

Over 30,000 fans are expected in Genoa, a Stadium the Azzurri have not played in for eleven years.

Meanwhile, FA President Franco Carraro has explained why the team will not walk onto the field with a banner that reads ‘Peace’.

“There is not a single Italian citizen who does not want peace,” said the FIGC chief, “and that certainly applies to the players as well.”

“But holding up a banner can be taken as a political statement, whereas the Azzurri squad is for everyone. That is why we cannot allow political statements on the field.”

The official line-up to start Wednesday’s game against Portugal:

Italy: Toldo; Panucci, Cannavaro, Nesta, Zambrotta; Zanetti, Perrotta; Camoranesi, Miccoli, Delvecchio; Corradi

Football Italia

Platinì

Sep 23, 2002
First half has gone, scoreless but definitely a pleasant match so far.
Italy it’s not at all a real Madrid look like, but the incoming
of Camo on the right up side and del Vecchio on the left up gave
finally a satisfying style to the team. Impressive the debut of miccoli, since the first minutes, he started to entertain the crowd with his shocking and rapid passes. I can say that no one
missed totti tonite.
As impressive has been Corradi, strong on all the high ball and very effective on the forcing action too.
Zambro didn’t have many chance to get on the attacking side, but this is due because tonite he had to take care about figo and he did it on a marvelous way, as figo was almost worthless on the first 30 minutes, after that Scolari switched Figo on the left and Simas on the left.
Nesta and Canna both excellent as usual. While panucci was much more successful on the attack (especially on the corner action)than on the defense of the game, when figo switched on his side,Panucci was doomed to failure.
Zanetti match has been immense, while Perrotta looked a little bit slow.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
what exactly is a 35 year old has-been going to add to the national team? sorry but I can't see him skinning 5 defenders and scoring!
Mmm..... and can you see somebody else of the Italian players skinning 5 defenders and score????? Maybe Baggio is not able to do something like this anymore, but the others never even tought about about it... The point is that Baggio is the simble of Italian soccer so he schould play in the NT, maybe he will not add anything, but the NT will not do worst with him, than what it did without, cause worst of this last year is impossible!!! What I think is that the NT, is not like a club, who belong to a president who pay 4 it, it belong to the peaple of a country, so is no sense to exclude the most rapresentative player from it, even if he's 35, if he's the only one who peaple really care to see.
And sometimes class, skill and experience can be more useful than phisical efficency and btw I think that young players like Miccoli have more to learn by him than from Crappattoni.
P.S.: Today there was so many banners 4 Roby!

++ [ originally posted by Juventino ] ++
did anyone C the game...
Did Camo play and if yes... how did he do?
I saw it, Camo played almost all the match, he was not so impressive, like I saw him some other times with Juve, but played well. The match was not so good, but at list Miccoli made some nice "numbers" who allowed peaple not to fall asleap. Corradi first match first goal, a nice evening 4 him! I have to say that Portugal have more responsability than Italy 4 the low level of the match... they didn't do anything at all.
Anycase also if this game was nothing special is the best of Italy I saw 4 long time...

Sep 28, 2002
i saw the pics of the match in the ficg.it and i cant believe? since when does italy play with puma kits???? man, that sucks. really really sucks.

i want kappa, good ol' beautiful kappa back

Platinì

Sep 23, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Juventino ] ++
did anyone C the game...
Did Camo play and if yes... how did he do?

Camo played a wonderfull match :)

On the first half he did a lot, creating much on the attack side,
considering it was his first call on the Nt and all the pressure the mass - media put on him, IMO he was just remarkable.
On the second half,consequently to the change of position of Figo (from his right side to the left) Trap moved Zambro on the left up side, while Camo had to play more on the back right side in order to give some help to Panucci who was feeling uncomfortable comparing with Figo. Nevertheless Camo was brilliant there too.

One thing is for sure, Camo has made a lot to gain the confidence of Trap and of anyone who support NT. :star:

p.s. Having Zambro and Camo on the black & white is already extraordinary, but having them on the Azzurri too, is something
that I could not even dare of dreaming :heart:
NT look much more competitive now :shocked:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)