International Friendly: Italy - Spain (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Azzurri: Baggio back but Totti out
Sunday 25 April, 2004

Roberto Baggio will join the Italy squad for Wednesday’s friendly against Spain, but Francesco Totti pulls out with an injury.

The Divine Ponytail has been given one last cap in the Azzurri jersey before he hangs up his boots at the end of this season, but he risks missing out on this swansong.

Baggio felt a twinge in his thigh when curling in a free kick in today’s 1-1 draw with Perugia, but the Brescia medical staff assure it is nothing serious.

The veteran has notched up 27 goals in 55 caps, but has not pulled on the Italy shirt since a 1-1 draw with Belarus on March 31 1999.

If Baggio is ready to be part of this friendly match at all costs, then Francesco Totti will be more than happy to miss out.

The Roma captain scored a brace in today’s 3-0 win over Empoli, but has now been diagnosed with a slight calf problem.

The fact that the Giallorossi face a Scudetto crunch match at Milan next week makes them extra cautious on Totti’s fitness, while Antonio Cassano is also out of the Italy side with a recurring ankle injury.

The Rossoneri are also keeping behind one of their stars, as Alessandro Nesta is still suffering from bruised ribs.

Alessandro Del Piero has only just returned from two months out with a calf strain, while Pippo Inzaghi and Giuseppe Pancaro are also sidelined.

This leaves Giovanni Trapattoni with precious few options for the friendly test against fellow Euro 2004 finalists Spain.

There are some surprise inclusions, such as Sampdoria winger Aimo Diana and Inter's Marco Materazzi, back from a two-month ban for violent conduct.

Tickets for the clash at Genoa’s Stadio Luigi Ferraris are already practically sold out as fans flock to see Baggio’s last international match.

Italy squad: Buffon, Peruzzi, F Cannavaro, Favalli, Ferrari, Legrottaglie, Materazzi, Oddo, Panucci, Zambrotta, Ambrosini, Diana, Fiore, Nervo, Perrotta, Pirlo, R Baggio, Corradi, Di Vaio, Miccoli, Vieri.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #2
    So... no DP, Totti, Cassano, or Inzaghi upfront.

The midfield looks pretty good with Ambro, Nervo, Perrotta, Fiore and Pirlo all in the squad.

If I was Trap I would go with the tried and tested 4-2-3-1 system with Fiore, Baggio and Miccoli behind Vieri. Two of Perrotta, Pirlo and Ambrosini should form the central defensive midfield partnership, while Oddo, Cannavaro, Ferrari and Zambrotta would line up infront of Buffon.

I'm kind of surprised to see Peruzzi and Legrottaglie in the squad though...

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #6
    I hate that attitude that players like Totti and Vieri have. They play on Sunday, can't play on Wednesday, but are miraculously fit enough to play the same Sunday :rolleyes:

Cassano seems to be giving it a try now too, but that's not a surprise seeing as Totti is his role model.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
    I hate that attitude that players like Totti and Vieri have. They play on Sunday, can't play on Wednesday, but are miraculously fit enough to play the same Sunday :rolleyes:

Cassano seems to be giving it a try now too, but that's not a surprise seeing as Totti is his role model.
    Amen. All the reason why we don't need players like that. I had to check the date on that first post, because my first thought was, "Totti injured? Didn't he just score two goals today and one a couple of days ago?"

Last Wednesday he was sure fit enough to play cameraman for a while after his penalty kick.

This is the first time I ever thought of giving a player a yellow card for "simulation" after the match was over. :totti:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
    This is the first time I ever thought of giving a player a yellow card for "simulation" after the match was over. :totti:
    :rofl: we have to coin a term for that

Post-match Diving anyone? ;)

Mar 21, 2004
    totti doesn't want to make himself tired.he prefers roma.but when the main NT competetions will be started he would be back and get number 10 of ale who is available for NT all the time(at least if he can).damn it!

Aug 1, 2003
    This sucks. Pippo not in, again. Oh why don't everyone just kill him so that he won't play for the Azzurri ever again.

And perhaps this is due to injury, but I've always felt Trap should've given Superpippo more chances. Damn.

On the other hand, Baggio's back :extatic:

I hope he puts Helguera to shame, that big mouth!

Sep 14, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    This sucks. Pippo not in, again. Oh why don't everyone just kill him so that he won't play for the Azzurri ever again.
    You have to ask what has he done this season to warrant inclusion. Besides, isn't he injured?

This game isn't about anyone else except for us Italians to thank and say good bye to an Azzurri legend.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #16
    ++ [ originally posted by ahead ] ++
    DP out .. why ?
    Because he has only played 45 minutes of football since returning from a long lay-off and it doesn't make sense risking him when Di Vaio, Miccoli and others are available.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    As I said before, Fiore - Baggio - Miccoli behind Vieri would be nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)