Infomation about Universities (1 Viewer)

K10

Jul 12, 2002
Yes, another off topic discussion but I suppose this can help me greatly.

Dealing with Universities based in both USA and Europe (England Especially):

Okay, hears the deal. Right now I am in my last year of A' Levels. My exams are in June 2004. I am doing Math, Further Mathematics, Physics and of course the cumpulsory General Paper.

Perhaps you can advice me in which direction I can go with these subjects and what is the best field to get into in terms of Economic status.

I am tending more to Aeronautical Engineering or Computer Science but honestly, my first preferred option is piloting. (Planes and Helicopters).

But as ppl tell me it is a bad field to get into at this moment, they adviced me to do a back up.

This is where I need your help. I lack knowledge about Universities.

Perhaps you can pin point some higher ranked, but not extremely difficult to get into, Universities in the States and England.

My preferred destination is Europe, like Italy or Spain, but there is the language barrier. Are there ppl u know, or perhaps yourself, that go to or went to universities in places like these? Perhaps you can tell me more about them.

For the americans, perhaps you can name some decent, recognised universities in decent states?

Same for the English?

Also, I keep hearing Austrailia is a beautiful place to study and the education is quite good. Anyone care to back this up?

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
K10

K10

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    For real? How is Malaysia in terms of atmosphere and environment.

Anyhow, not to be too b&itchy, not too interested in Asia :cool:

OP
    K10

K10

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    I just noticed ur little wink at the bottom.

Sorry for being late

;)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++Okay, hears the deal. Right now I am in my last year of A' Levels. My exams are in June 2004. I am doing Math, Further Mathematics, Physics and of course the cumpulsory General Paper.
    When exactly would you be going to a foreign university? First half of 2004 is way too short day for applying in Europe - you need to be there six months in advance at least. I know this because I'm going on an Exchange programme (probably to Italy, but eitherway in Europe) starting January 2005.

Living and studying in The Hague, I know for a fact that the Technical University of Delft (a neighbouring city, I have friends there) is a very well established international university. They offer programmes of very high quality and these courses are taught COMPLETELY in English. You'll also be taught the Dutch language one or two hours per week but I've heard that's neglectible so don't worry about that. The Dutch speak perfect good English as well so the language won't be a problem at all.

Check them out at www.tudelft.nl (hit "English" at the right top corner)

I've lived a while in England, in a town called Loughborough (near Birmingham and Leicester). The university there has an excellent exchange programme and from what I've heard it has quite the international reputation. I've lived on the campus for a couple of weeks there while I was looking for another place to stay and got into contact with several students (from China, America and Japan) who were following an exchange programme on the Uni there. I heard nothing but positive things about it; the main one being that it has an excellent reputation but not the problem that it's hard to get into as it's not as established as, for example, Cambridge or Oxford.

Check them out at www.lboro.ac.uk

Both Delft (The Hague is very close and you could live there too should you go to Delft) and Loughborough are great places to live. Good nightlife, major football clubs in reaching distance and fun people!

I would be properly Dutch if I didn't express my preference for Delft of course, Rotterdam is 15 minutes away by train, Amsterdam 35 and The Hague ... well, Delft is a suburb of The Hague and can be reached by tram, bicycle, taxi, whatever. You'd be right at the heart of Holland ;)

OP
    K10

K10

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    When exactly would you be going to a foreign university? First half of 2004 is way too short day for applying in Europe - you need to be there six months in advance at least. I know this because I'm going on an Exchange programme (probably to Italy, but eitherway in Europe) starting January 2005.
    MY realistic option of going to a university would be in like Januauary 2005 cause I do realise even to apply to an American university for September 2004 is too late.

You say you are going probably to Italy, for how long and to do what exactly? What do you do in University?

Anyone know if Italy is a worthy place to study as it is my dream destination.

Living and studying in The Hague, I know for a fact that the Technical University of Delft (a neighbouring city, I have friends there) is a very well established international university. They offer programmes of very high quality and these courses are taught COMPLETELY in English. You'll also be taught the Dutch language one or two hours per week but I've heard that's neglectible so don't worry about that. The Dutch speak perfect good English as well so the language won't be a problem at all.
    This sounds too good. Completely in English! My main concern was the language barrier but this is more than overcomed here. I will check it out, thanks alot.

PS: Any other countries with universities like the one Erik mentioned above? That teach completely or atleast mostly in English?

I've lived a while in England, in a town called Loughborough (near Birmingham and Leicester). The university there has an excellent exchange programme and from what I've heard it has quite the international reputation. I've lived on the campus for a couple of weeks there while I was looking for another place to stay and got into contact with several students (from China, America and Japan) who were following an exchange programme on the Uni there. I heard nothing but positive things about it; the main one being that it has an excellent reputation but not the problem that it's hard to get into as it's not as established as, for example, Cambridge or Oxford.

Check them out at www.lboro.ac.uk
    I see. Erik, did you by chance get a schol or partial schol? How hard is it to get schols in Europe?

Both Delft (The Hague is very close and you could live there too should you go to Delft) and Loughborough are great places to live. Good nightlife, major football clubs in reaching distance and fun people!

I would be properly Dutch if I didn't express my preference for Delft of course, Rotterdam is 15 minutes away by train, Amsterdam 35 and The Hague ... well, Delft is a suburb of The Hague and can be reached by tram, bicycle, taxi, whatever. You'd be right at the heart of Holland
    Very important aspects, football, nightlife, how about the women? :D

So all in all, Holland is a fun and nice place to study right? Not boring like England can be?

OP
    K10

K10

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    i love oxford.
    my one and only university.
    you interested? but i dont think they have piloting courses :)
    Oxford? :dazed: I guess you are a bright girl then. That's gonna be pretty hard to get in I asume.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
    Yes, another off topic discussion but I suppose this can help me greatly.

Dealing with Universities based in both USA and Europe (England Especially):

Okay, hears the deal. Right now I am in my last year of A' Levels. My exams are in June 2004. I am doing Math, Further Mathematics, Physics and of course the cumpulsory General Paper.

Perhaps you can advice me in which direction I can go with these subjects and what is the best field to get into in terms of Economic status.

I am tending more to Aeronautical Engineering or Computer Science but honestly, my first preferred option is piloting. (Planes and Helicopters).

But as ppl tell me it is a bad field to get into at this moment, they adviced me to do a back up.

This is where I need your help. I lack knowledge about Universities.

Perhaps you can pin point some higher ranked, but not extremely difficult to get into, Universities in the States and England.

My preferred destination is Europe, like Italy or Spain, but there is the language barrier. Are there ppl u know, or perhaps yourself, that go to or went to universities in places like these? Perhaps you can tell me more about them.

For the americans, perhaps you can name some decent, recognised universities in decent states?

Same for the English?

Also, I keep hearing Austrailia is a beautiful place to study and the education is quite good. Anyone care to back this up?
    i know jack shit about colleges even though im a high school senior. havent applied anywhere so far and probably wont. but theres rutgers over here, which has like 50 thousand students and take almost anyone. and theyre a known name too.

the state sucks.

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
    Well i would reccommend an english university over much other european universitys as the education level in the UK is one of the best.

Also concearning england at least, if your not planning to go to the absolute best unis like oxford or cambridge (lets face it its pretty impossible to get in there :p ) then there are tons of choices, so u might want to start limiting your choices by what part of england you want to live, or what city etc.

OP
    K10

K10

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #13
    Lac, so u are saying NJ is sh*t? Not going there then ;)

Colin, I definately dont want to go to a uni such as oxford cause I also wanna have a good time in my uni years and not work all the time, if u know what I mean.

I know england is the best place but it can be boring, not so? Anyway, I would most likely end up there. Where is the nicest parts of England to study?

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
    I'm pretty sure England is extremely boring and expensive aswell. I would recommend Holland, if you can manage the language. If I'm going to study abroad I'm going to study either in Holland or Denmark. I'm visiting them both this summer so I'll see if any of them are worth studying in.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    True. England is very expensive compared to Holland.

MY realistic option of going to a university would be in like Januauary 2005 cause I do realise even to apply to an American university for September 2004 is too late.

You say you are going probably to Italy, for how long and to do what exactly? What do you do in University?

Anyone know if Italy is a worthy place to study as it is my dream destination.
    I'm going to Italy in January 2005 (6 months) to study International Management and Communication in the city of Padua (Padova). It's a great uni (second oldest in Italy after Bologna) with a great reputation, the city is historic but with a young atmosphere as there are almost 20.000 students living there. However, the courses are taught COMPLETELY in Italian - which is why I'm going there, I want to improve my Italian skills to perfection.

This sounds too good. Completely in English! My main concern was the language barrier but this is more than overcomed here. I will check it out, thanks alot.
    You're welcome - let me know if you have any questions!

PS: Any other countries with universities like the one Erik mentioned above? That teach completely or atleast mostly in English?
    You'll find that English language universities are usually in smaller countries such as Holland, Belgium, Denmark etc. The larger European countries have universities in their own language as the national sentiment of "we speak a world's language" rules everything. It's sad but true. It's also what prevented me from going to France or Spain next year.

I see. Erik, did you by chance get a schol or partial schol? How hard is it to get schols in Europe?
    A scholarship? Yeah I got one. I went to the UK for four months and received a total amount of 1400 euros. But that was an EU subsidy for the "improvement of the internal transfer of education". Since you're not an EU citizen, this subsidy might not apply to you but I'm not sure. Not at all.

I believe the UK has a rule that any foreign students who DON'T already have some sort of scholarship in their own country can get a British subsidy.

Very important aspects, football, nightlife, how about the women? :D
    Mate, I've been around but I would still prefer Dutch women over women from other countries any time! Only Italian women can compete with them :lick::D

So all in all, Holland is a fun and nice place to study right? Not boring like England can be?
    Holland one of the best places in Europe to go when you're young and looking to have fun. England is far more conservative.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    Lac, so u are saying NJ is sh*t? Not going there then ;)

Colin, I definately dont want to go to a uni such as oxford cause I also wanna have a good time in my uni years and not work all the time, if u know what I mean.

I know england is the best place but it can be boring, not so? Anyway, I would most likely end up there. Where is the nicest parts of England to study?

the state itself sucks yeah but i live an hour away from both NYC and philly so no complaints

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
    England boring?

Depends what u mean by boring.

Because im in Liverpool and i assure u its far from boring. Its a 24 hour city, and the bars/clubs/girls are great ;)

And im sure theres much more other things if i would spend some time to explore rather than just party :p

Also i know people from france, holland etc who say its really great here.

But yea will be more expensive, especially London.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Liverpool? Really? Would never have expected that ...

Oh well. Kiran - after these reactions on "boring" I feel I have to point out again that I used the word "conservative". England is far from boring but in some aspects it's just a bit "behind", if you will. Not necessarily a bad thing.

But I still prefer Holland :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)