Il disastro di Torino (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2007
As it turns out Bayern were indeed too strong for us & they deserved the victory 100%. But 1-4? I certainly did not see that coming. Absolutely disgusting, we embarassed ourselves in front of the whole of Europe.
There used to be a time when we never lost with more than a 1 goal difference. It's not even that long ago, and just look at us now.

But he did start our downfall by giving away a cheap penalty.
Firstly, agreed. It was something like our fifth ever home defeat in the Champions League.

I don't think the penalty was the start of our downfall. From the 10th minute I knew we'd be in for a long evening, which is unacceptable. Good ratings btw.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
It's actually the worst possible sub he could have made, not because DP was useful, but because we needed more pressure and possession AWAY from our goal. What should have happened was bringing in Amauri or Seba for DP, and Poulsen in for one of the other midfielders.
I wouldn't be comfortable at all using 2 subs at halftime, so what you're saying was completely out of the question for me.

Gio could & should have come on earlier though, you're right about that.
Amauri, I'm not so sure. What's the point in bringing him when there's absolutely no service?

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I still can't believe what Ivica Olic of all people was doing to us yesterday. I know the guy since he started his career and I never rated him.
He improved a lot lately, though.

Still, his off the ball movement was always his quality. And as boring as I sound, i'll repeat again that we lack that. We desperately lack that, especially without Iaquinta in our attack.

If you have the strength to do it, then watch yesterday's match again.
Olic runs, without purpose at first glance, the other Bayern players see his run and pass the ball. We do it differently. We just kick the ball without thinking where it will go and the attacker runs to catch it. Of course, he'll catch it only once in 30 tries while Olic will get it 9 times out of 10 because he's already running before the ball is passed to him and he already gained advantage over his markers. Plus he's making the defenders tired. Bordeaux were doing the same to us, even fucking Matri and Palermo's attackers were doing the same.
Batistuta Gabriele, za tebe je Olić Pele! :p

Olic has drawn not 120% percent, but 200% from his limited potential. I never rated him as well but it's incredible what he has accomplished with simple work rate and heart. It's no wonder the guy asks for a sub every game, because in his 75 minutes, he runs more than other players do in 2 full games. He has also improved his ball handling and rarely kicks the ball so hard he can no longer reach it. :p

But seriously, my hats off to Olic. Since we were so dreadful, I'm glad he was out executioner.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
For the first time, maybe after the 2003 final vs Milan I had tears watching Juventus.

It's not because we were eliminated as much as it's because I've never seen such a performance by Juventus since several years, not even when we were in Serie B this happened.

I seriously couldn't sleep last night, and I haven't rested since the defeat. I feel pain and I feel like little kid who lost something precious.

To me, everyone holds the responsibility of this defeat.

The Management, for negligence.
The Coach, for terrible and late substituions and decisions.
The players, for not running and for not respecting the jersey they're wearing.

I feel sorry mostly for Del Piero. Unlucky with his injuries since the beg of the season and this was his main chance or shot to get a call for his South Africa ticket. Taking him out for Poulsen wasn't wise at all and like vlatko said, I knew we were going to loose with this subs. At least take him out for Seba.

I love our old guard and I don't have the balls to criticize any of them that much I admit. I love them too much to criticize them. As for the others, I was disappointed like never.

Lets hope we can at least keep competing in Serie A till the end of the season. And hopefully our next CL road will get better.

Forza Juve.
Every time we lose I listen to this :D

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Some of you folks have to understand that in defending a lead, it is not always the best option to throw more defenders or defensive players on the pitch. The way the match was going it's much more of a gamble trying to sit back for 45 minutes when the other side has all the possession and pressure.

You do not fight alcoholism with more alcohol, or fight fires with gasoline, you change it up with something OTHER than what was there in the first place. When the problem is possession and pressure, you don't bring in someone who will NOT provide you with either of those.
Ah, thing is I didn't see Poulsen as merely a defensive substitution. I saw it as attempt to try and restore the balance in the middle and thus helping us to maintain possession better than we did in the first half.

Say what you want but we were never going to be able to keep possession in their half. Del Piero and Diego are the ones who should be able to do just that but they clearly weren't up to the task.

Firstly, agreed. It was something like our fifth ever home defeat in the Champions League.

I don't think the penalty was the start of our downfall. From the 10th minute I knew we'd be in for a long evening, which is unacceptable. Good ratings btw.
Thanks, appreciated.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Just think.. if we had Sissoko and Chiellini we probably would have got our result and none of this shit would be happening.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I wouldn't be comfortable at all using 2 subs at halftime, so what you're saying was completely out of the question for me.

Gio could & should have come on earlier though, you're right about that.
Amauri, I'm not so sure. What's the point in bringing him when there's absolutely no service?
Amauri gives us good pressure up top, which is something we needed.

Ah, thing is I didn't see Poulsen as merely a defensive substitution. I saw it as attempt to try and restore the balance in the middle and thus helping us to maintain possession better than we did in the first half.

Say what you want but we were never going to be able to keep possession in their half. Del Piero and Diego are the ones who should be able to do just that but they clearly weren't up to the task.
If it was the correct sub, why didn't work?

Well, that's easy, because it was the wrong sub. Dead wrong.

Poulsen adds nothing going forward except long balls which would have been eaten up anyway.

We needed more pressure up top, more possession out of our zone, so we needed to sub DP for another attacker. And most importantly, we needed another goal even before halftime seeing how the match was trending, which we wouldn't get with that substitution.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Amauri gives us good pressure up top, which is something we needed.
Amauri used to do that. Not anymore though

If it was the correct sub, why didn't work?
Plenty of reasons:

- The likes of Melo, Diego, ... didn't step their game up. No improvement whatsoever over their poor 1st halves
- Poulsen himself wasn't good enough either
- We had been lucky the entire 1st half in not conceding more goals, yet unlucky to concede so early in the 2nd half, which screwed everything up even more.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Amauri used to do that. Not anymore though
He still is a menace for opposition defenses. Even the slightest bit of pressure would have helped.

Plenty of reasons:

- The likes of Melo, Diego, ... didn't step their game up. No improvement whatsoever over their poor 1st halves
- Poulsen himself wasn't good enough either
- We had been lucky the entire 1st half in not conceding more goals, yet unlucky to concede so early in the 2nd half, which screwed everything up even more.
Either way, IMO, it was the wrong move. And unfortunately it was proven to be incorrect because Poulsen did nothing to improve the midfield.

RavaneVialli

Jan 27, 2008
Some of you folks have to understand that in defending a lead, it is not always the best option to throw more defenders or defensive players on the pitch. The way the match was going it's much more of a gamble trying to sit back for 45 minutes when the other side has all the possession and pressure.
In my opinion, that's why Poulsen was necessary: we have been outplayed in midfield, losing possesion multiple times and desperately needed someone to calm our game down. Melo has been absent-minded and it seems Ferrara is the only person in the world who still insists to play him as the deepest midfielder. Bringing a player who could relieve Melo from what he couldn't have done (and allow him to push forward, which he has been far more willing to do) was a sine qua non condition to allow us to create something upfront. Unfortunately, Ferrara didn't bring Giovinco at the same time but kept fruitless Diego, hence stagnation in our play remained.

mondo1

May 14, 2006
i'm right now sitting in my room and listing for the 1235325 times storia di un grande amore ....
and even though after this heavy defeat we have to be even closer to the team and scream even louder everytime we play... even though the winning times seem to be over i'm a proud bianconeri...
players managers and co may change but my love for juve will ever exist!

DelPieroTen

Dec 8, 2009
I really want Guus Hiddink.... has done a decent job at basically every club he's been at.

He's also got tons of experience.

I really wouldn't want a Prandelli or a Spaletti as i'm not convinced they would bring success. I would more confident with Hiddink. Haven't thought too much about other candidates yet though. Laurent Blanc is shaping up to be a great coach but he is still young and would be a risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)