Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (230 Viewers)

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Juve: We can't afford Del Piero Friday 16 September, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus patron Lapo Elkann has again publicly humiliated Alessandro Del Piero, dubbing the captain “an expensive luxury for the team.”

Elkann, the heir to the Agnelli throne, has already run up column inches in the Italian Press with his comments on Del Piero and Bianconeri target Antonio Cassano, but this latest tirade is possibly his worst yet.

Del Piero costs too much for what he brings to the table,” Elkann was quoted as saying in ‘Il Giornale’. “He is a luxury that we cannot afford any longer.”

The Italian international earns approximately £3m per season and his contract expires in 2008, but the fact that Fabio Capello has left him on the bench for most of his time in charge suggests that he’ll be parting company with the club sooner rather than later.

Elkann is not the only FIAT owner to make such statements, as last week Luca Cordero di Montezemolo pointed out, “I’d prefer Cassano to Del Piero as a testimonial for the new Punto, as he is more likeable.”

This will only add to reports that Del Piero will leave Juve as early as January, with offers from Japan, Arsenal, Manchester City or even Milan.

Emerson has rushed to the defence of his teammate in today’s Press Conference. “I saw Del Piero training well and he has recovered from his injury. He’s important to all of us.”

Meanwhile, there has been a vote of confidence for Manuele Blasi, who has extended his Juve contract by one year. The midfielder, who played as a right-back in the Champions League this week, is tied to the club until June 30 2009

Diego

Aug 30, 2005
Meanwhile, Juventus patron Lapo Elkann has sent a letter to newspaper 'Il Giornale' denying he made disparaging comments about Alessandro Del Piero. The heir to the Agnelli business empire was quoted as saying the captain was, "an expensive luxury we can no longer afford."

Diego

Aug 30, 2005
Meanwhile, Juventus patron Lapo Elkann has sent a letter to newspaper 'Il Giornale' denying he made disparaging comments about Alessandro Del Piero. The heir to the Agnelli business empire was quoted as saying the captain was, "an expensive luxury we can no longer afford."

Channel 4 17.9.2005

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
I'll just re-post what I said in the other thread:

He's not much different from Agnelli senior to be honest. Both Gianni and Umberto were always vocal about their opinions. They came up with 'coniglio bagnato' for Baggio, 'Godot' for DP, that Zidane was 'nice to watch but not effective' and lots of potshots towards our players.

So why were they allowed to say those things and Lapo no? Better than having a diplomatic person like Moratti who always tries to justify his players and team.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
I think this isn't acceptable at all. Who is Elkann to ridicule Del Piero? If he wanted him to be sold he could have told Capello and Moggi behind closed doors, instead of putting pressure on them.

Nice of Emerson to defend Alex though...

Diego

Aug 30, 2005
From Alessandrodelpiero.com:
A great start for us in Champions League competition, a wonderful victory (2 - 1) wednesday evening against Bruges thanks to Nedved and Trezeguet, that marks score N° 100 with Juventus (well done David!)....while still dealing with numbers and Champions League, next time on the pitch will be a hundred for me in Europe, a very important target for me and an absolute record for Juventus as well.....intriguing but definitely much more demanding will be to reach and overtake two great champions like Bettega and Boniperti as all time best scorers, I need six goals to do so, I'll do my best!

FORZA ALEX!

Sep 15, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
I'll just re-post what I said in the other thread:

He's not much different from Agnelli senior to be honest. Both Gianni and Umberto were always vocal about their opinions. They came up with 'coniglio bagnato' for Baggio, 'Godot' for DP, that Zidane was 'nice to watch but not effective' and lots of potshots towards our players.

So why were they allowed to say those things and Lapo no? Better than having a diplomatic person like Moratti who always tries to justify his players and team.
But calling DP 'Godot' is harmful and special at the same time. Because they say he probably won't come anymore, but also that they're still waiting for him.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Centrocampista ] ++

But calling DP 'Godot' is harmful and special at the same time. Because they say he probably won't come anymore, but also that they're still waiting for him.
I don't blame them for that.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++

I am glad someone mentioned this award. I would like to raise a question of discussion about it.

What is a decisive player and how is a player called most decisive. According to my knowledge and conception of the term, it is given to the player who madfe the winning goal (when a game is won by a one goal difference) or the player who equalized when we his team was down with one goal. Is there any other situation where a player is considered decisive? I think not.

SO for now our most decisive player has been Trezeguet this season (goal against Chievo and goal against Brugge)

Here is the question, what if we win a game with two or more goals, then there is no decisive player considered, then who is given the credit for such a game? Or no one is given a credit there? And why? If the team wins 2-0 and two different players scored, who is considered decisive? I think no one.

This is why I consider this title complete Mamothscheisse.

iirc deccissivity is a ratio of goals per minute.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Del Piero isn't bringing enough to the table? I actually find that hard to believe.Many other players in the team eg. Vieira, Buffon, Nedved are paid only marginally less and Del Piero no doubt brings in more, in terms of merchandising at least.

So I'm pretty sure he's also referring to his value as a player, if he were in the first team and playing well no doubt his comments would be way out of place.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Diego ] ++

Channel 4 17.9.2005
I have had it... This is just plain sick. Not funny anymore from the media. For years now the media has been trying to distroy Del Piero.. THEY WILL NEVER SUCCEED. I just feel sorry for Del Piero that he has to go through all this shit every minute.
Its really disgusting. Since the start of the season, which was two weeks ago he had two major stories made by the media: 1- was that he faked the injury 2- The Lapo Elkann story.
I have never seen any player in the world from my experience being put down by the media like Del Piero. This thing has got way out of hands.

I think we Juventini should have something to do about it. Whether you like Del Piero or not. Whether he is your Juve idol or not. Whether you want him in the team or not. NOW it really doesn't matter. When they say bad things about Del Piero, they are saying bad things about the captain of your team.
I think we should all support out captain.. Del Piero did not ask to be treated better than anyone. He asked for respect.
He has always been there for us (as fans of Juventus) and he will always be. Now its pay back time. We should all refuse anything bad said about him. The media is taking an advantage of him because he is a celebrity and a very polite person.

Buffon said it once, the media has lost him as a reader because of DPs issue and how dirty it had got.

FORZA ALEX.... We will always be next to you. We don't care what the media says anymore, because we know that you are pure.

Who is with me?

FORZA DEL PIERO

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Diego ] ++
From Alessandrodelpiero.com:
A great start for us in Champions League competition, a wonderful victory (2 - 1) wednesday evening against Bruges thanks to Nedved and Trezeguet, that marks score N° 100 with Juventus (well done David!)....while still dealing with numbers and Champions League, next time on the pitch will be a hundred for me in Europe, a very important target for me and an absolute record for Juventus as well.....intriguing but definitely much more demanding will be to reach and overtake two great champions like Bettega and Boniperti as all time best scorers, I need six goals to do so, I'll do my best!

FORZA ALEX!
You'll do it, Captain.....

Jocke27

Sep 12, 2005
The Del Piero fans have to realize that every player gets to a point where he just isn't as good as he was before.
Sure, Del Piero was an outstanding player a couple of years ago, one of the best in the world.
But Juve has the ambition to win Lo Scudetto, Champions League and become the best team in the world.
And Del Piero doesn't longer have the qualities that a striker in a team with that ambition needs.
You can't (and obviously Capello knows this) pick the team just for the upcoming game. You have to think about the future.
And Zlatan is the future of Juventus.
It's exactly like in Real Madrid. Râul symbolizes Real, he is the heart of Real.
But is he on the pitch? No, because they have Robinho and Baptista now.
Which have proven the can play on that level and is the future.
I understand that it's hard for those who has followed and loved Del Piero all these years but I can't believe you don't understand Zlatan's potential.
On Goal.com they had a thread on who's the best striker in the world (to be correct, it said: Is Adriano the best in the world?).
I think it had about 900 posts, alot of them thought that Adriano was the best.
In 40-50 posts Ibrahimovic was mentioned as the best or one of the best, Del Piero wasn't mentioned AT ALL. What do that tell you?
Zlatan's task in the Juve attack isn't mainly to score goals. He should do that too and I'm sure he will score both against Ascoli and Vienna but I can't possibly understand why anyone would wanna see hem on the bench, no matter how good you think Del Piero was three years ago.
Who do you love most, Del Piero or Juventus?
:confused:

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Jocke27 ] ++
Zlatan's task in the Juve attack isn't mainly to score goals. He should do that too and I'm sure he will score both against Ascoli and Vienna but I can't possibly understand why anyone would wanna see hem on the bench, no matter how good you think Del Piero was three years ago.
Who do you love most, Del Piero or Juventus?
:confused:
Dude, we are not asking (or atleast I am not) that we bench Zlatan. We are hoping the we use Mutu and Del Piero in the formation wisely so they do not rust. Whats the point of having two great forwards in your bench if you are not going to use them and keep them in shape. Saying Zlatan is performing better than Del Piero or Mutu or even Zalayata is not accurate since you haven't seen any of them play yet.
The season has just started. To jump and say that Capello is ignoring Del Piero or Mutu is too early and immature at this moment.
I know that Capello is a great coach. And I hope that he uses Mutu, Alex, Zlatan, Zalayata and Trezeguet in a wise way so by March we don't have forwards suffering from fatigue. Even more, for the world cup we have players ready to perform for their countries so we can enjoy the world cup.
To do so you cannot depend on two main strikers, you have to rotate all 5.
Zlatan was our top scorer in the Serie A by scoring 16 goals and playing almost 35 matches almost fulltime. Del Piero scored 14 goals in the serie A by playing ~26 matches and substiuted in around 20 of them. He also did score 3 goals in the CL (1 qualifications). So both are terrific players. Both have showed their worth this year with the national team, Del Piero played one match and was very good, Zlatan was fantastic with Sweden. On the other hand we've got Mutu who from two matches with Romania scored 4 goals, Zalayata who scored a hattrick with Urguay and Trezeguet your current top scorer.
All 5 are world class. We should stop this talk on whos better than who because we are just fortunate that all are in our team. Its all upto Capello now to use this nuclear warhead wisely :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 222)