Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (122 Viewers)

Dec 31, 2008
Alessandro Del Piero has thanked Francesco Totti for his support, considered Carlos Tevez’s start in the Juventus No 10 and reflected on life in Australia. The former Bianconero was listed by Totti late last month as having not received the same treatment from Juventus that he has received from Roma, who have just handed him a new contract.
“I thank him for the respect and consideration that he has for me, it is fully reciprocated,” Del Piero responded through the Corriere dello Sport today.

“The history with Totti at Roma is beautiful, I am happy that he will continue there until the end of his career.
“It is good that the club continue to believe in him and the results are there. I know what it means to recover from a difficult season.
“Roma are doing very well. Sometimes teams click into something very strange, it doesn’t take much to change gear.
“He’s approaching my record of goals scored for a single club? Wow, so I was wrong to congratulate him for the start to the season.
“Records are made to be broken, I hope that Francesco succeeds.”
The 38-year-old then turned his attention to his former side, who sit third in Serie A after seven games played.
“I have seen them a little recently, but six wins and a draw from their first seven games does not seem to be something to just dismiss.
“Carlos Tevez’s form in the No 10 shirt? It confirms what I said a while ago - it is right not to retire the No 10 shirt.
“It must remain a dream for everyone. It seems to me that Tevez has started very well. I hope that he continues.”
The veteran is gearing up for a second season plying his trade in Australia, where it is seen that his presence at Sydney FC has boosted interest in the A-League.
“It cannot be judged only on me. I look to the words of the [Football Federation Australia chief executive] David Gallop - attendances in stadiums have increased by 100 per cent, 40 per cent in pay-TV ratings, there has been a growth in the sale of merchandise.
“These are incredible results, and I have noted in all the stadiums I have been to the great enthusiasm and the desire to go to the ground to enjoy the spectacle of football.
“This was not always granted in a country that offers tremendous opportunity to see other top level sport.
“If I have helped, as they are saying, to achieve all of this, I can only be satisfied.
“How have I changed after a year in Australia? I have gone back in time discovering things that I had lost, like going to the park to play with the kids, or dining outdoors, living with the door open.
“In short, this is more of a feeling of everyday life, and are the things that make me think I have changed a little. I hope for the better.”

- - - Updated - - -

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Del Piero assist :D

Robs the ball off Caravella and plays a great ball to Chianese to make it 2-0
That Caravella bloke made some royal fuck ups didn't he.

- - - Updated - - -

Overall good performance by Sydney though. They were fairly compact. Del Piero is the perfect player to start counter attacks. Apparently Newcastle are the worst team in the league though.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
their defense looks not bad too, one of their defenders made a really good tackle in the box in the first half as well, probably the best of what I've seen in the a-league.

Aug 17, 2007
Chianese, the other scorer vs. Newcastle, about the master:

"After any session … he'll be happy to stay back 15-20 minutes," Chianese said. "A lot of people don't see that, it's really awesome. You don't feel scared to ask him for anything. I've been doing that a lot.

"One thing he has been drilling into my mind and other attacking players' minds is that when someone has the ball, you have to do something. Every time the ball moves you need to change your run to give the team another option.
"You're always thinking right, 'I don't have the ball but I have to make another option.' That's what he has really been putting into our heads and that's what happened [on Friday night]. It's good to get the monkey off the back. I probably should have had a goal early in the first half but I had a bit of a bad touch. I wasn't happy with that. To get the goal was a relief. It capped off a good night for the team.
"As long as you're in the right position most of the time, [Del Piero] is going to find you, that's the quality he has. He is great on the ball and he can finish. There was never any doubt of you getting the ball if you make the run. Luckily he found me and that gives him a bit of confidence as well, knowing he can rely on us."

Aug 17, 2007
Player of the week
It was more of the same from Alessandro Del Piero as his Sydney FC side capped off their season opener with a strong 2-0 win over the Newcastle Jets. Del Piero's skill in the box saw him bamboozle the Jets defenders and slide the ball past the Mark Birighitti in the Jets goal. The classy Italian then set up Joel Chianese's first of the season after breaking from the midfield before putting the young forward through on goal. Del Piero continues to set the standard in the league and will no doubt be giving defenders nightmares throughout the 2013/14 season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 121)