Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (156 Viewers)

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
I was working today and I've not yet seen the Atalanta game, the goals or even the standing ovation. I want to sit tomorrow and watch the whole thing in a one-er. I did get home to see Alex lift the Scudetto though. Thinking about that again now I'm getting a bit choked up.

This is my favourite Del Piero video on youtube. I've watched it many, many times. That song 'Viva La Vida' has come to take on a connection to Del Piero to me. It's so full of emotion, and the lyrics at times can be seen as having parallels with Alex's story.

I was working at Celtic Park today, where Celtic were also lifting the league trophy - our first in 4 years. Everybody in the stadium (myself included as a Celtic fan of course!) was in a brilliant mood. 4 years is a long time, especially in Glasgow. Before the game, that song came on through the sound system, and I suddenly remembered that today would be Alex's last in Serie A for Juventus. My eyes started to well up with sadness, and I suddenly felt out of place and slightly disconnected with what was happening around me. That has absolutely never happened to me before in Celtic Park. I shook it off and concentrated on the joy that my two teams would be recieving league trophies today.

The game went on, Celtic won 5-0. We got the trophy and there was a lap of honour etc etc. I left the stadium bouncing :)

When I got back home, I remembered about the Juve game. My brother was watching and said 'you're just in time'. I sat down just as Gigi was walking onto the pitch, followed by all of the other players. After them all - Alessandro Del Piero walked onto the pitch wearing his number 10 Juventus jersey, stopping to embrace his wife on his way to join his team-mates. He recieved his winner's medal and then turned to lift the scudetto.

As he lifted up the trophy, I had the most odd series of feelings. I felt joy and elation that this season has gone SO well - undefeated all year, everybody in the team has scored, beautiful new stadium and next year looks set to be VERY promising. But mixed with that, there was something else.

I felt a great sense of sorrow and loss. The sense that something incredible was coming to an end. A great story which I only really caught the end of. A huge surge of sadness came over me. As I came online and read a number of tributes to Alex (in particular Sergio's) I shed tears. None more so, though, than when I read Alex's own words on his Facebook page. Of course I took the time to share it and to write my own tribute there.

It's very very strange to feel so sad on a day where two teams very close to your heart celebrate deserved league victories after long arduous seasons and after long waits of many years. And yet that is the magic of Del Piero. He is absolutely one of a kind. An example to us all in so, so many ways. He is Del Piero, and we are all so lucky to have experienced even one game or one sentence like 'Un vero cavaliere non lascia mai una signora'.

Alex, I'll never forget. Thank you

Delle Alpi

Chemical Dean
May 26, 2009
Watching those pictures got me all teared up again, I've remembering all the great 19 years he played for us all afternoon, and now I keep repeating it in my head. It's going to be hard not watching my childhood hero again in the Juve jersey. Good luck Alex. I am truly hurt, and it will take some time to get used to the whole thing. I love you for all what you did for this club off and on the pitch, the ultimate professional and captain. You will be truly missed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 152)