Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (56 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Law 12 of the Fifa ‘Laws of the Game' states that 'a direct free kick [or penalty] is awarded to the opposing team if a player holds an opponent.'

Shirt pulling during a set piece can be harder to punish because players from both teams are doing it, and sometimes the ball is nowhere even near. Mexes however, picked DP up and slammed him down when he had the ball. Imo it was a definite penalty.
:howler:

Del Piero jumped up and fell down to try and win a penalty.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I've no problem with you thinking that's a penalty, so long as you also feel it is a penalty when a Juve player discretely holds a player at a corner.

I don't think either is a penalty.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Red, sorry man but you're not spot on. In corner kicks you simply can hold your opposition because you have an advantage the ref shouldn't/can't see it, if he sees it then it's penalty, in corners players have their advantages because there are over 15players usually in the box and the ref can't keep an eye on one or two, so it's hard to call penalty kicks even if there are shirts pulled because the odds of you seeing it clear is too low.

In Del Piero's case even if he had his back to the goal (there's no rule that says anything about having your back to the goal) he was grabbed by Mexes's two hands and not one and was pulled down. Maybe it's not 100% penalty kick but many refs would call it Penalty kicks just like some media and press already did.

Jun 13, 2007
I think in any other league in the world, that would have been a penalty without question. I feel Serie A referees have a much higher tolerance for rough play and fouls than ones from England or Spain. In any other country, definitely a penalty. In Italy, 50/50.

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
I think in any other league in the world, that would have been a penalty without question. I feel Serie A referees have a much higher tolerance for rough play and fouls than ones from England or Spain. In any other country, definitely a penalty. In Italy, 50/50.
are you kidding me? when was the last time you saw a italian ref letting the game go as in england? del piero could've been eliminated because all those easy falls in the premiership..it's his reputation that saves him much of the time here

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
we weren't cheated except the del piero-mexes incident which wasn't that clear. I can't understand the ref's position there. That's why we need video challenges

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Anyway, I'm not finding an excuse for our embarassment night against Roma. We deserved the humiliation Ranieri men gave us. But still, a penalty would have had different impact on the game.

Muayyad

Dec 4, 2010
Let's thank God we didn't get that PK. No one wants to play 120 mins 3 days before the match against Udinese, regardless the fact the we didn't even deserve to be in the semi-final.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Alex on Tuttosport: "We went out with broken bones from this game»"
Which again makes me wonder why Mexes wasn't red carded and not even yellow carded in the first half when he gifted Ale one karate kick on his knees? Also why Taddei escaped when he harshly brought Ale down twice in less than 5seconds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 52)