Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (218 Viewers)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Exactly, if u watched the first match, it was very evident DP was playing great, because he was playing central and pretty well advanced and stuff and was getting the ball alot, which is how he should be playing. But then in the game where he gets to start and play almost all of the game, Donadoni changes the tactics, and makes the wingers run and run and cross all game, forgetting that Del Piero is extremely short, so the guys were all really trying to cross to one player, Toni.
This wasnt effective because the defenders basically just have to worry about Toni's presence, and just cover DP a little bit, in case the ball does somehow get to him. For this reason Del Piero did not really get the chance to make his usual impact on the game, and suffered horribly, it was upseting to watch.
I was really looking forward to him ripping it up, but i would not blame him for not, i'd blame the Azzurri tactics and formation for his downfall. Maybe Cassano and Del Piero both playing along with Toni would be more effective vs the Frenchies. Grosso has been playing great and Chiellini and De Rossi also were great, so i do not see changes being made to the midfield or back line (except for maybe Camoranesi). However, I fear Del Piero will now lose his starting place, and that really sucks alot. Either way, Forza Alex and we all love u (especially me and Rab).
Well said my man.

Dragula

Jul 17, 2006
Blog: National disservice
Alex Del Piero failed to shine as hoped for against Romania, a disappointment that is all too familiar for Antonio Labbate

It was Friday evening, 7.13pm to be exact. Ding. An email arrived from a friend of mine. It was brief, but it spoke volumes. The subject line read: “Del Piero.” The message itself said: “If only Italy played in black and white stripes…”

The same thought must have, at some stage, entered Alex’s own mind. A living legend and symbol for his beloved Juventus, the No 10 has never really been able to transfer his noted and clear domestic ability on to the international stage where there’s no place to hide.

It’s a defeat for Italian football, and the world game, that the same player who has been a shining light for La Vecchia Signora during their brightest and darkest hours over the last 15 years hasn’t been able to replicate that for the Azzurri.

There have, of course, been some extenuating circumstances. His ability has often been confused with versatility by some of his national Coaches who opted against using the now almost 34-year-old as a second forward, instead throwing him into a variety of other positions in the hope of striking gold.

Of course, loyal Del Pieroists will defend Alex from any kind of criticism – the Football Italia office has already been warned to expect ding, ding, ding after this piece goes live – and they can rightly argue that he was a part of the Germany 2006 triumph. Yes he was, but so too was Cristian Zaccardo.

For many, Del Piero will be remembered as a campione rather than a fuoriclasse. His latest showing in that Italy jersey which he continues to wear with pride signified as much. There was plenty of passion, determination and desire, but he didn’t make the difference. Offered another opportunity to become an undisputed national hero – after his fine season and his lively sub appearance against the Dutch – it didn’t quite happen. Again.

Whispers in the Giro Azzurro suggest that Del Piero will be dropped from the starting XI that will face France on Tuesday, as Roberto Donadoni reshuffles his pack in the hope of stumbling across a winning formula. Maybe he expected too much from Alex against the Romanians, perhaps we all did. But that’s only because he’s an accomplished footballer, for Juventus at least…

cyril

Let's roll
Jul 6, 2006
Del piero will come in and play great against france as a sub, the tactics dont suit him if he starts.

And in wc 2006 he wasnt the zaccardo, he played alot more scored a penalty in the final.

DP is a legend.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
The problem with inexperienced or arrogant coaches are, they want to play the tactics they beleive in without taking into consideration the squad they have. Donadoni's tactics might suit Holland's squad, but it doesn't suit the Azzurri.
A smart coach, e.g. Lippi, would play the formation and tactics that his squad is fit to do.
He has players like Cassano and Del Piero who god had created them to play as assistant strikers yet he still refuses to play a tactic that includes an assistant striker. But then again this doesn't surprise me, don't you guys forget that he is playing 2 fullbacks as centerbacks in a a major tournament. This is not a team that has 25 players only. We had the whole nation to chose from. yet he chose incompetant players like Matrix. They are bashing Del Piero for not winning the game for italy, yet they do not want to admit that when Del Piero was subbed Italy could not conduct a single attack. If he isn't good enough, how come he is one of Italy's all time top scorers for the national side?

Am I biased to Del Piero? hell yeh.. Why sholdn't I. He's the best footballer around.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Like I said, If that prick will try to field Del Piero alone with Toni, then I hope he doesn't play, If he'll change his mind and field him with one of Di Natale or Cassano then yeah I hope he plays.

francesco

Till death do us part!
Jul 25, 2006
Forza Holland - Del Piero

Italy striker Alessandro Del Piero admits that he will be supporting Holland as Italy’s quarter final hopes all depend on what Romania can do against the Dutch.

The Azzurri take on France on Tuesday night in what has been billed as 'the game of death’.

It all comes down to the last day of Group C and Roberto Donadoni’s side need a win against Les Bleus and hope that Holland do them a massive favour by stopping Romania from gaining all three points.

Del Piero is hoping Italy get through and he is backing The Oranje to give them a hand.

“We are hoping Holland win,” said Del Piero.

“I will be supporting them of course but we cannot focus too much on what the others are doing because we have our own objectives to think about.

“We have to focus on our game and we will see who wants it more on Tuesday, all our energy needs to go into the game as the result is in our hands.”

Reports in Italy claim Del Piero has been dropped by Donadoni to make room for Antonio Cassano who is likely to get the nod from the coach to start against France.

The Sampdoria striker was brilliant when he came on against Romania and Italy will be hoping he saves his magic until last as they look to cheat certain death and muscle their way into the quarter finals against all the odds.

goal.com

lavenderguy

Feb 28, 2005
as much as I love DP, I hope he retires from NT after this euro.
DP isn;t just as effective in NT compares to when he is on a Juve shirt.
Azzuri needs new starlets, fresh blood. 3 WC, 4 Euro, I think it's about time for DP to step down.
Italy can;t qualify tonight. Face it .
DP aint gonna change anything too.
the truth is always cruel
Romania will go through.

May 11, 2008
Euro 2004 Denmark Sweeden 2-2 something wrong?NO!of course cassano was crying for no reason
I hope the best team (plays better and scores more goals not that is good or i like Holland the opposite i can say) Holland should play at least for the draw but Holland will lose to meet again(?) romania its sad though to think like this but we have seen it all so a possible win over holland will be not a suprise
Del needs another attacker so he can create some game and not only that miserable striker called Luca Toni who hasnt played a big match yet
Lets wait and see

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 210)