Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (198 Viewers)

Jul 2, 2006
Donadoni: Del Piero Tried His Best

Italy coach Roberto Donadoni has asked the Italian footballing public to lay off Alessandro del Piero. While the manager salutes the player's ability, he has pointed out that "Alex" is not superhuman...

Italy coach Roberto Donadoni defended Alessandro del Piero in the aftermath of Italy's 0-0 San Siro draw with France on Saturday.

The Juventus legend started up front with Milan's 'Pippo' Inzaghi, with both failing to find the net.

Alessandro came in for some harsh criticism in the aftermath of the game - criticism that, according to Donadoni, is unwarranted.

The coach said, "He did everything that he could. People expect too much for him - they think he can dribble around three players and score."

Some have said that Vincenzo Iaquinta, also of Juventus, should start on Wednesday against Ukraine after being added to the squad at the weekend, but the player himself insists that there is no battle royale.

"I don’t want to hear anything about a ballot between me and Alex. It’s the same situation at Juve and there is never any friction because we are a united squad," said Iaquinta.

Another option is Cristiano Lucarelli, the ex-Livorno striker who recently moved to Shakhtar Donetsk.

He said, "It will be tough because there is such enthusiasm and belief in the national side over [in Ukraine.]

"Donadoni has asked me to give him information on the seven of my colleagues who are set to play against us. We will be facing a really well prepared side."

Italy sit third in Euro 2008 Qualifying Group B, behind France and Scotland.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
He did indeed did his best but his 2nd half was terrible. Even If Donadoni did a mistake playing him on the left side, still he should have done better.

I hope he'll give it all against Ukrain.

Dragula

Jul 17, 2006
this pisses me off.

for the last couple of years when he has played, the coaches have aways played him as a wide player and never as a supporting striker (his accustomed position). It's no surprise that he doesn't do the magic he does at Juve. In the game vs Fance he played left flank and came back alot to defend. I hope Do sticks with him in Kiev and allows him to play as a 2nd striker. If he does, mark my words, DPwill shine. Ale always proves his critics wrong. He just needs to be given the chance to play in his accustomed role.

If you look back to the DP - Inzaghi partnership at Juve, Ale always played as a striker. There is no way Inzaghi could have produced anything as a lone striker. He's just not that kind of player. I think Don made some poor tactical decisions in that match.

Against Ukraine I would play

---------Del Piero--------------Lucarelli/Inzaghi

------Perotta---------------------------Camoranesi

------------------De Rossi----Pirlo

---Zambrotta--Cannavaro--Barzagli-----------Oddo

--------------------------Buffon

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
I don't know if it's the media hyping up this Del Piero story or if it's true (that the fans are criticizing him i.e.) but I think for his age he's playing good. Forza Capitano!

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
this pisses me off.

for the last couple of years when he has played, the coaches have aways played him as a wide player and never as a supporting striker (his accustomed position). It's no surprise that he doesn't do the magic he does at Juve. In the game vs Fance he played left flank and came back alot to defend. I hope Do sticks with him in Kiev and allows him to play as a 2nd striker. If he does, mark my words, DPwill shine. Ale always proves his critics wrong. He just needs to be given the chance to play in his accustomed role.

If you look back to the DP - Inzaghi partnership at Juve, Ale always played as a striker. There is no way Inzaghi could have produced anything as a lone striker. He's just not that kind of player. I think Don made some poor tactical decisions in that match.

i like your formation as much as i love del piero he just isnt fast enough to play in the midfield anymore. although i would try to fit quagliarella in there somewhere. because as tough as a game that will be a long range moment of brilliance dould decide it.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Yes, he did play like sh*t but the media are really ripping him a new one this week.

It's fair to say that DP is getting old, trying too much to do everything and can't play a full 90min in a season for a Juve with European competitions(2008...).

He should be the super sub but we all know he doesn't want that.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
this pisses me off.

If I see DP-Inzaghi play together again I'll shoot myself. I would like to see foggia, quag's and aquilani all start. I'm still wondering why donadoni didn't call up rosina or miccoli.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 194)