Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (50 Viewers)

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
Azzurri7 said:
I don't see the point of Playing 70% Totti and not 100% Del Piero.....I still think Lippi wont bench Ale in the first game.

lippi will start totti, but i hope that if totti looks like shit he brings him off right away. del piero gilla and toni are very capable of scoring many goals. they have done it in the past

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
Morra10 said:
lippi will start totti, but i hope that if totti looks like shit he brings him off right away. del piero gilla and toni are very capable of scoring many goals. they have done it in the past
I'm afraid that this game ,against Ghana ,is not a game for the experiments.

mnementh

Jun 5, 2005
there's still a chance according to reports that Lippi will bench both Totti & Del Piero and start with Perrotta.

What I don't understand is why they don't say that Del Piero is in killer form... we saw that he was good in Serie A... I know he had that muscle train injury or something a couple of weeks ago, but beside that, I can't see how he had a big dip in form... it's worrying. Maybe he's saving up to peak in the actual tournament, an organised training regime. That's what I hope.

Juve_25

Jan 3, 2006
I don't understand the press! What about Lippi's statement some weeks before about: "I don't like to use two Strikers (gila and toni) with Totti, I prefer using dp to his side as a support and only one Striker (L. Toni)"

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Del Piero reflects on his misfortunes

DUISBURG, Germany (AP) - Alessandro Del Piero is the leading scorer in Juventus' storied history.

When it comes to playing for the national team, however, Del Piero's fortunes have been different.

At the 1998 World Cup he lost out on a starting spot to Roberto Baggio for a lineup spot and now Francesco Totti plays in his position.

Totti is still regaining form after leg surgery and coach Marcello Lippi won't decide who to play until hours before Italy's opener against Ghana on Monday.

"It's not important to me how many wars I fight, but how I fight them," Del Piero said Saturday. "That's been my outlook the last few years."

Del Piero has also been relegated to the bench at Juventus over the past two seasons, with coach Fabio Capello often selecting Zlatan Ibrahimovic and David Trezeguet instead.

The critics say his legs have lost muscle and his speed has dropped.

Del Piero's 26 goals for Italy are the most on the squad. Playing in his third World Cup, he's also one of the senior members.

"I've stopped often to reflect before this World Cup, about the boy that I was and the man I've become," Del Piero said. "I've had many turning points in my career but those two parts are fundamental. They must come together at this World Cup."

Italy should perform without trying to make people forget the scandal, Del Piero said.

"Our duty at this World Cup and for Italian soccer in general is very important," he said. "But it's not fair to expect this team to resolve all the problems."

Associated Press

Juve_25

Jan 3, 2006
ReBeL said:
Del Piero reflects on his misfortunes

DUISBURG, Germany (AP) - Alessandro Del Piero is the leading scorer in Juventus' storied history.

When it comes to playing for the national team, however, Del Piero's fortunes have been different.

At the 1998 World Cup he lost out on a starting spot to Roberto Baggio for a lineup spot and now Francesco Totti plays in his position.

Totti is still regaining form after leg surgery and coach Marcello Lippi won't decide who to play until hours before Italy's opener against Ghana on Monday.

"It's not important to me how many wars I fight, but how I fight them," Del Piero said Saturday. "That's been my outlook the last few years."

Del Piero has also been relegated to the bench at Juventus over the past two seasons, with coach Fabio Capello often selecting Zlatan Ibrahimovic and David Trezeguet instead.

The critics say his legs have lost muscle and his speed has dropped.

Del Piero's 26 goals for Italy are the most on the squad. Playing in his third World Cup, he's also one of the senior members.

"I've stopped often to reflect before this World Cup, about the boy that I was and the man I've become," Del Piero said. "I've had many turning points in my career but those two parts are fundamental. They must come together at this World Cup."

Italy should perform without trying to make people forget the scandal, Del Piero said.

"Our duty at this World Cup and for Italian soccer in general is very important," he said. "But it's not fair to expect this team to resolve all the problems."

Associated Press
I'm going to be very pissed off if he doesn't start on Monday! :(

Anyway, thanks for the post!!

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Del Piero keen to rediscover inner child

Italy forward Alessandro Del Piero wants to rediscover his boyhood enthusiasm at the World Cup, starting with Monday's Group E opener against Ghana.

Del Piero has faded from the limelight during Marcello Lippi's two years in charge but could be in line for a surprise place in the team if Francesco Totti is unfit to start in Hanover.

"I've been thinking about when I started to play football and how I played and in what spirit I did," Del Piero told reporters on Saturday.

"Then I thought about the player I have become, the man I have become.

"Those are two fundamental parts of me, what I was and what I have become. I need to bring those two parts together at this World Cup."

Del Piero has shied away from media attention in recent weeks but said he had used the time to reflect on his career and what he aims to achieve in Germany.

"I went up to the hills to evaluate things like Achilles (hero of the Trojan War) did and like him I wanted to concentrate a little more," he said.

"The important thing is how you carry out war and not how many wars you fight," he said in a coded reference to his many games spent on the bench with Juventus and Italy in the past two seasons.

"For me the best thing is knowing what you are able to do and then to prove it to others. But you don't reveal your plan of attack."

Del Piero said he had learned how to confront his problems.

"I've smiled a lot in these past two years," he said. "There have been difficulties but I have learnt the important thing is how you confront them and overcome them."

Del Piero said Italy had to approach the World Cup with passion.

"We Italians live on emotion and tension and pressure. We will go into these games and play with heart and that gives me great confidence," he said.

"The Ghana match is the most difficult and the most important for us. We have to go out there, give a good show and above all win," he said.

Reuters

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 48)