Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (52 Viewers)

delp_07

Jan 31, 2005
Ahead of this weekend’s monumental tussle between Milan and Juventus, Steve Lamb takes a look and the situation of Alex Del Piero and ask’s what does the future hold for the Juve skipper?
Alessandro Del Piero - a name that means so much too so many people. To Juventini worldwide he is an idol, a symbol of everything that is good about the old lady of Torino, he is a hero, a friend, a brother, a legend.

To some he is an enigma, a player of undoubted talent and fantasy, who has never quite lived up to his billing as “the new Roberto Baggio”. A player who has never quite found his own identity. A player who is as frustrating as he is brilliant.

And to some he is a fallen star. A washed up thirty-year-old, who has never recovered from the horrific knee injury that he suffered in 1998. This school of thought likens Del Piero to an old rock star who can’t accept that his time is over, desperate for just one more hit.

Whatever your own thoughts on Del Piero may be, there can be no doubting that few players split opinions quite like the Juventus number 10. Every football fan from Iceland to New Zealand has his own opinion on Del Piero.

Despite not having a celebrity wife or having ever won the World Cup, the Ballon d’Or or the World Player of the Year award, Alex Del Piero is still one of the most famous and talked about players on the planet.

There can be few players worldwide who can rely on the unconditional love and affection that Del Piero receives from his beloved fans inside the Stadio Delle Alpi. Not even the great Roberto Baggio enjoyed such a close relationship with the Juve tifosi.

Put simply, Del Piero is their boy and they will back him though thick and thin. In a footballing world with so little loyalty this is a special relationship which should be praised - to them Del Piero is indispensable.

Rumours persist however that this could be Del Piero’s last year in Torino, with a possible move to England or even Japan on the cards.

Without question Del Piero has found it difficult since Fabio Capello became Juve boss. In truth the triangle of Del Piero, Capello and Juventus was always going to be a troublesome one. Don Fabio is well known for his love of tall powerful forwards (his first signing at Roma was Batistuta), so it came has no surprise when his first request as Juve boss was for the club to buy Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Del Piero only need ask Vincenzo Montella about Capello’s treatment of small, lightweight forwards! Despite a reasonable return of 12 Serie A goals so far this term, Del Piero’s future is in doubt. He holds the unenviable title of most subbed player in Serie A this season and it is now a rare occurrence that Del Piero finishes a game. When Trezeguet and Ibrahimovic are fit Del Piero is on the bench and that’s just the way it is under Capello.

Juventus have been heavily linked for months with a summer move for Roma bad boy Antonio Cassano. Indeed transfer guru Luciano Moggi has openly admitted to being a big fan of the peter pan from Bari. Cassano added fuel to the fire when he stated that he misses his former coach Capello “a little bit more each day”. If Cassano does arrive in Torino it would surely signal the end for Del Piero. Given a choice between an aging Del Piero or his ex student from Roma it is quite clear who Capello would chose. With Adrian Mutu also free from his doping ban it may be a case of three’s a crowd and Del Piero is likely to be the odd one out.

Despite all the talk of Del Piero’s possible departure, the club are adamant that he will remain and are happy to dismiss the talk as just rumour. Luciano Moggi said “Del Piero is a champion and will definitely remain here.” Moggi also said the same prior to Zinedine Zidane’s £48 million move to Real Madrid.

There may still be time however for the fantatista to prove his worth to Capello. This weekend’s Scudetto showdown with Milan could be Del Piero’s last chance. With Ibrahimovic banned and Trezeguet less than match sharp it is almost certain that Del Piero will get his chance to show the world that he is alive and kicking.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
Well, the way i look at it:

Azzuri Seven sees monkfish as uncool

So he sees me as less cool

I see monkfish as cool, and since we have reverse opinions, me being worse then him in his eyes is me being better in my eyes!

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
No problem. Look two pages back, i highlighted possibly one of the best posts you probably ever made, and one of the best on the forum :D

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
--sorry off topic--

++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

That doesn't make much sense when you look at our budget and economy at the moment. Even the energy prices continue to rise.
U mean that the US isn't currently growing? Well its having some difficult times but unemployment rates are the best compared to other developed nations. But what I meant was that an economy needs to continously grow, so this is another oportunity.
There are lots of projects now in Iraq tendered to US companies. it'll be good for them to get a stronghold of the new Iraqi economy for the future.

May 6, 2005
"Del Piero is going to get subbed against Milan unless he scores a hat trick in the first half...." that's just how badly i think capello wants del piero off the pitch.....

REALITY CHECK.....capello hates del piero...favours zlatan....end of story....

Monkfish

Jun 14, 2003
++ [ originally posted by del_razis10 ] ++
"Del Piero is going to get subbed against Milan unless he scores a hat trick in the first half...." that's just how badly i think capello wants del piero off the pitch.....

REALITY CHECK.....capello hates del piero...favours zlatan....end of story....
Why do you think this is?!

DP has - on the whole - been very poor this season, Zlatan has - on the whole - been pretty good.

You do the math.

delp_07

Jan 31, 2005
MOnkfish cmon when Del Piero has played better than Zlatan this year Del Piero still comes off. Capello does not like small forwards, and we all know it, and we also know that him and Del Piero have clashed heads on the training field. I just dont think that Capello is as good for the job as we all think. I personally would have taken Zoff or Prandelli

Monkfish

Jun 14, 2003
And your reasoning for wanting Zoff or Prandelli is?......

...because under them DP might have played more. That makes perfect sense.:confused:

Neither of those 2 coaches have done much in their managerial career, Zoff has been around a while but never won anything.....and you would have preferred them to be coach of Juve rather than Fabio Capello?

I guess I just don't understand the reasoning behind that.

I don't care who he plays, as long as his decisions are done for the right reason (i.e Juve winning) then that is all that matters.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Monkfish ] ++

DP has - on the whole - been very poor this season, Zlatan has - on the whole - been pretty good.

You do the math.
Statistics my friend. Where are the statistics to back that up? Who's the hypocrite now? You just dismissed someone for wanting Prandelli or Zoff, because they didn't win anything, but here the statistics clearly prove you wrong so you don't use them.

Aug 1, 2003
I think Capello has every right in benching Del Piero. If he wasnt performing on the pitch it affects the whole team therefore he shouldnt play. However, having said that I really do love Il Capitano and I would rather have him die in Delle Alpi than end his career elsewhere.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Monkfish ] ++

You do the math.
You are wrong here, Zlatan has been very good this season and DP has been good as well, and very much helpful but his ony problem is inconsistency as well as being given so much credit for things he has done YEARS ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 48)