Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (101 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Del Piero is frustrated with himself. He has been having a rough season. I'd like to see him play together with Giovinco though. I think that most of the time Del Piero and the players around him do not connect well. He has had to miss Trez all season as well..

Buy on AliExpress.com

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
I think it was. Gio obviously needed to come on, but with 0-1 down and so little time left we could have subbed someone else out as well.
But we only had 2 midfielders on at the time. We were playing a 4-2-3 after Tiago's sending off. Del Piero had gone missing for a long period at that point and seeing that Iaquinta is on a hot streak right now, I believe it was the right choice.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
I think you are right Mourinho certainly loves his mind games, but in my opinion he didnt disrespect Alex in any way whatsoever. The press messed the whole think up as usual.

Lets hope for some fantastic play from our Capitano!! A free kick with Cesar standind still would be very sweet :ultra:
Mourinho is the king of the back handed compliment, if he was complimenting he wouldn't have mentioned the ballon d'or

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
But we only had 2 midfielders on at the time. We were playing a 4-2-3 after Tiago's sending off. Del Piero had gone missing for a long period at that point and seeing that Iaquinta is on a hot streak right now, I believe it was the right choice.
Yeah, thanks. Was about to say the same.
Del Piero and Iaquinta were the only players Giovinco could replace at that point. We needed Iaquinta in the box for a potential cross or a corner kick so Alex was the most logical option.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
I don't get the "drop in form", or "bad season", "low performance" that people are talking about.

Del Piero created a number of chances for his team-mates namely iaquinta and marcchionni who could not transfer them to goals. And since we had Tiago and Poulsen in the midfield which meant no assistance to the forwards Del Piero had to play far away from the scoring position yet he tried to score in a number of occasions.
Unlike other forwards, when there was a counter attack against us you were to find Del Piero the first to run back to help in (e.g. the counter attack of the goal).

Del Piero scored 21 goals in the Serie A last season. This season he's scored 9 or 10 goals in Serie A but he also scored in CL and Coppa. he has now a sum of 18 goals (or 17 if I miscounted). He is playing in almost every match in every tournament for 90 min. And remember he is 34.

And at the end of the day, he is our game winner. He is still the player that can turn the match upside down and turn the table against the opponents at anytime.

yesterday's match he was given to opportunities to score from free kicks, and both had the wall around 5-6 meters away from him with the ref forcing him to play. I bet if both were played properly one would have gone in.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
but still ZAF, Ale has not been at the level he was last season...at this point last season he was scoring goals for fun...of course the team's form has also not been that great

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
but still ZAF, Ale has not been at the level he was last season...at this point last season he was scoring goals for fun...of course the team's form has also not been that great
You've got your answer... It's difficult to take the ball and than to assist yourself for goal, and it's even harder to hope that Marchionni will score. Basicly Alex is playing pretty well, but our whole team performance sucks and I think that is one of the main reasons why Alex or any other players can't shine.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
Another thing, by Week 32 Alex has not played more than 27 matches at the most (last season), while this season @ week 32 he has played more than 36 matches.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yeah, thanks. Was about to say the same.
Del Piero and Iaquinta were the only players Giovinco could replace at that point. We needed Iaquinta in the box for a potential cross or a corner kick so Alex was the most logical option.
You can gamble and go for the win.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
In addition, last year he had more support (relatively ofcourse) from the midfield during the games. This season and because of the injury crisis he had to play for both midfielders and attackers in most of the games. Now that is extremely exhausting.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Like Sev said, Giovinco and Ale playing together is the best for both of them. Ale needs someone as creative as himself. Someone that knows when to pass when to control the ball, when to take on counter attacks. When to play one two passes.

Nedved in his not so good form = Ale creating for himself and people expecting him to do everything by himself.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
Rab I agree. I have been saying it for quite sometime now. Giovinco's best performance were achieved with Alex on the pitch. One of the most important reasons is that Del Piero takes with him at least a couple of defenders which gives more space for giovinco to do his magic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 10, Guests: 89)