IBM testing linux (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-rel/?S_TACT=103AMW38&S_CMP=DVCHL

Test results at a glance
The following summary is based on the results of the tests and observations on the duration of the runs:

* The Linux kernel and other core OS components -- including libraries, device drivers, file systems, networking, IPC, and memory management -- operated consistently and completed all the expected durations of runs with zero critical system failures.
* Every run generated a high success rate (over 95%), with a very small number of expected intermittent failures that were the result of the concurrent executions of tests that are designed to overload resources.
* Linux system performance was not degraded during the long duration of the run.
* The Linux kernel properly scaled to use hardware resources (CPU, memory, disk) on SMP systems.
* The Linux system handled continuous full CPU load (over 99%) and high memory stress well.
* The Linux system handled overloaded circumstances correctly.

The tests demonstrate that the Linux kernel and other core OS components are reliable and stable over 30, 60, and 90 days, and can provide a robust, enterprise-level environment for customers over long periods of time.

===

It should be noted that IBM has invested a lot into Linux and thus you can't call this a completely independent study.

But I do find point 3 particularly interesting, I would like a comparison on that one to a Windows environment. :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
* Linux system performance was not degraded during the long duration of the run.

But I do find point 3 particularly interesting, I would like a comparison on that one to a Windows environment. :D
Actually, that is a very good point, in light of the unwritten law of windows which states that system performance decreases proportionally to the operation time

Jul 28, 2002
Martin, was there anything about the need to keep re-installing linux every so often jus like Windows?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
John, that's sort of addressed in the point we were discussing, but we're talking on a larger scale.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by John #10 ] ++
    Martin, was there anything about the need to keep re-installing linux every so often jus like Windows?
    I believe they managed to keep it running over 90 days continuously and under heavy stress to boot :eek::D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)