"I support Muslims who love freedom" (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Actually in the latest studies by the scholars, such sports as boxing is haram according to the Prophet's (peace be upon him) hadith "When on of you inflicts a beating, he should avoid striking the face" (Sunnan Abi Dawood). However, you only focused only on the second verse that I posted, while you ignored why it's "evil". Let's look at it in a different way, football players or professional athletes are being paid, while smoking is like burning your own money with a lighter by your own hands.

"And spend in the way of Allah and do not throw [yourselves] with your [own] hands into destruction [by refraining]. And do good; indeed, Allah loves the doers of good." - CH. 2 - V.195
Then eating sweets should be haram because it can lead to diabetes, chewing gum can lead to tooth decay, drinking soda can lead to kidney disease. These should all be considered as "evils" and should be haram by your logic and the logic of these Ulema's.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
Then eating sweets should be haram because it can lead to diabetes, chewing gum can lead to tooth decay, drinking soda can lead to kidney disease. These should all be considered as "evils" and should be haram by your logic and the logic of these Ulema's.
And by your logic smoking weed or taking cocaine are not forbidden since the Quran hasn't made it haram, just like cigarettes.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
And by your logic smoking weed or taking cocaine are not forbidden since the Quran hasn't made it haram, just like cigarettes.
Don't be silly

"O ye who believe! wine and the game of chance... are only an abomination of Satan's handiwork. So shun each one of them that you may prosper. Satan seeks only to create enmity and hatred among you by means of wine and games of chance, and to keep you back from the remembrance of Allah and from Prayer..." (5:91-92)

The Arabic word "al-khamr" is used in this verse which means anything that intoxicates or alters the mind. Thus, all forms of intoxicants are forbidden. The verse clearly explains the problems created by the use of intoxicants; first, they lead to hatred and enmity amongst people, causing murder, violence, immoral behavior etc.; and secondly they lead people away from Allah and His religion. Allah wants the believers to keep their minds pure and clean, so that they worship Him fully. A Muslim may not offer prayers (salaat) when he is not in full possession of his senses, even if that is caused by excessive emotion or a state of sleep. Certainly, a mind that is intoxicated is not able to focus on Allah.
Narrated by Ḥaḍrat Jābir bin 'Abdullāh, Allāh be pleased with him: Said the Prophet of Allāh (peace and blessings of
Allāh be on him):

“If the larger dose of a thing causes intoxication, its small quantity is also unlawful.” (Abū Dāwūd)
It is Haram, Martin.

What Ze is saying can be summarized in this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quranism
What are you talking about? Show me one authentic Hadith that says smoking is haram.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
Don't be silly

What are you talking about? Show me one authentic Hadith that says smoking is haram.
Smoking was not known in the early days of Islam, so that's why there is analogy (qiyas), like Rebel mentioned before and that to help people understand.

You brought up some foods that could cause damages to your body, but that's possibility and mostly happens if you are overeating.

The risks and damages when you are smoking are so obvious, and remember that by saying that it's not forbidden it means that you are actually encouraging people to hurt/kill themselves.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Smoking was not known in the early days of Islam, so that's why there is analogy (qiyas), like Rebel mentioned before and that to help people understand.

You brought up some foods that could cause damages to your body, but that's possibility and mostly happens if you are overeating.

The risks and damages when you are smoking are so obvious, and remember that by saying that it's not forbidden it means that you are actually encouraging people to hurt/kill themselves.
We're just gonna keep going in circles here :D I'll just conclude with saying that smoking just as eating sweets in excess are bad for you but not haram. Neither the Qur'an nor Hadith have declared it so. If you want to interpret these verses to mean you shouldn't smoke that's completely fine but to say it is forbidden as decree is completely wrong and it can sets a reckless precedent.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
We're just gonna keep going in circles here :D I'll just conclude with saying that smoking just as eating sweets in excess are bad for you but not haram. Neither the Qur'an nor Hadith have declared it so. If you want to interpret these verses to mean you shouldn't smoke that's completely fine but to say it is forbidden as decree is completely wrong and it can sets a reckless precedent.
What about the fact that it burns the wealth?

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
What about the fact that it burns the wealth?
I think we can both agree that Islam encourages the moderate way. Anything in excess, including prayer/worship, is discouraged (there's a hadith about God having the right over man, his wife having a right over him, and then his family having a right over him as well so he needs to divide his time and give everyone their right over him) Thus buying or consuming so much cigarettes that it's burning through you're wealth is discouraged.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
I think we can both agree that Islam encourages the moderate way. Anything in excess, including prayer/worship, is discouraged (there's a hadith about God having the right over man, his wife having a right over him, and then his family having a right over him as well so he needs to divide his time and give everyone their right over him) Thus buying or consuming so much cigarettes that it's burning through you're wealth is discouraged.
Surely anything taking in excess is discouraged, no doubt about it, but that's not the case. The way I and most of the scholars around the globe see it will be according to the rule "ًWhat is clean and nice is halal and what is filthy and harmful is haram”, you wouldn't say that cigarettes are clean and nice, no? :D

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I think cigarettes are nice, that's subjective. There's people who may think chewing gum is harmful and filthy.

I think cars could be a good example. You are literally "burning your money" with gas while you could walk, bike, or take public transportation instead. But that doesn't mean having a car is a bad thing,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)