"I support Muslims who love freedom" (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Well, yes and no. With sports it's not that easy to tell. The NFL is a bad example, because it's a very aggressive and physical sport. But what about a 100m sprinter? Bolt is not really going to experience that many harmful effects. Also, one of the most important factors in professional sports is rest. Athletes need to guard against overtraining as to be fit for competition. So in a sense a world class athlete tends to avoid extremes. Look at Cristiano Ronaldo: the damage done to his knees is negligible at best. At age 50 he'll still be more supple than you and I.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22130474

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22572082

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
So as I said the physical strain a body is put under during a career as an elite sportsman can be harmful to your body.

You don't have to look up many former handball players, boxers, footballers and so on to see the physical consequences of an elite career.

Some sports are more harmful than others. Swimming is way less straining on your body than long distance running as an example.

But all in all there's a price to pay to become elite.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
There is nothing called "What was liked personally by Prophet". The man was not a normal person that he likes or dislikes anything without being ordered to do so by Allah.

By the way, I don't see any answers for my two questions.
First of all I have to correct myself on a couple of points...I was wrong in making what the Holy Prophet disliked and correlating that with what is mukruh. My apologies.

Going back to your post...Well he liked the taste of squash...was that an order from Allah? :shifty:

1- How did you know how to pray?
Hadhrat Gibrail taught him how to pray and then he taught us how to pray.

2- Was the prophet authorized to tell people what is right and what is not?
Of course and I have to correct myself on the other point here; which is that the Holy Prophet has made things haram which were not mentioned in the Qur'an, however...he did not forbid anything by his own volition but by orders from Allah.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, does the prophet say anything about suicide bombings being haram?
That's a very vague question.

In the Qur'an Allah states:

22:40 Permission to fight is given to those against whom war is made, because they have been wronged - and Allah indeed has power to help them -

'And fight in the cause of Allah against those who fight against you, but do not transgress. Surely, Allah loves not the transgressors.' (Al-Baqarah, 191)

The greatest Jihad (struggle) is the Jihad of the self, i.e. the inner struggle with oneself.

In a state of war where you're defending yourself from the aggressor and you find yourself with limited resources and are forced to strap yourself with explosives and you're not are not aiming to kill innocent civilians then I don't see why it would be unlawful. For example, in the Indo-Pak war of 1965 Pakistani soldiers strapped themselves with explosives and hid in tiny foxholes to take out Indian tanks as they were closing in on Lahore. That was out of necessity.

If I was asked to defend my country, the US, for whom I've pledged to defend, and it were to find itself in such a situation then I'd have to do it.

Hope that answers your question.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
First of all I have to correct myself on a couple of points...I was wrong in making what the Holy Prophet disliked and correlating that with what is mukruh. My apologies.

Going back to your post...Well he liked the taste of squash...was that an order from Allah? :shifty:

Hadhrat Gibrail taught him how to pray and then he taught us how to pray.

Of course and I have to correct myself on the other point here; which is that the Holy Prophet has made things haram which were not mentioned in the Qur'an, however...he did not forbid anything by his own volition but by orders from Allah.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a very vague question.

In the Qur'an Allah states:

22:40 Permission to fight is given to those against whom war is made, because they have been wronged - and Allah indeed has power to help them -

'And fight in the cause of Allah against those who fight against you, but do not transgress. Surely, Allah loves not the transgressors.' (Al-Baqarah, 191)

The greatest Jihad (struggle) is the Jihad of the self, i.e. the inner struggle with oneself.

In a state of war where you're defending yourself from the aggressor and you find yourself with limited resources and are forced to strap yourself with explosives and you're not are not aiming to kill innocent civilians then I don't see why it would be unlawful. For example, in the Indo-Pak war of 1965 Pakistani soldiers strapped themselves with explosives and hid in tiny foxholes to take out Indian tanks as they were closing in on Lahore. That was out of necessity.

If I was asked to defend my country, the US, for whom I've pledged to defend, and it were to find itself in such a situation then I'd have to do it.

Hope that answers your question.
:tup: thanks for an actual answer!

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
And? Since when did a degree of osteoarthritis mean you were completely unhealthy? Not to mention that the only true important measurement is pain, not osteoarthritis.

- - - Updated - - -

So as I said the physical strain a body is put under during a career as an elite sportsman can be harmful to your body.

You don't have to look up many former handball players, boxers, footballers and so on to see the physical consequences of an elite career.

Some sports are more harmful than others. Swimming is way less straining on your body than long distance running as an example.

But all in all there's a price to pay to become elite.
It's still very much up in the air. Not only do you not have a true control group, you also need to take into account that proper weight training often alleviates joint pain. Besides that you also have effects on the respiratory system and a whole bunch of other systems.

With smoking you can guarantee that it gets a lot of people lung cancer and that if offers no benefits whatsoever.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
I'm sorry but you can make an argument for anything based on those verses and label them haram. By your argument football players, MMA fighters, boxers, etc etc are all involved in sports that are haram because the physical strain they put on their bodies for which they have to pay for later on in life are severe (knee injuries, joint pains, head injuries, etc etc.) It's one thing for you to personally interpret them as discouraging smoking because of its harmful effects but a completely different thing for you to say that this means God has made smoking forbidden. That's a pretty big statement.
So there's arguments for and against this. I tend to agree with Maddy here. If we for the sake of argument agree on this and tying this back to my original argument my point was that by Mo's logic being a professional athlete should be haram because of its harmful physical (and mental) effects.
Actually in the latest studies by the scholars, such sports as boxing is haram according to the Prophet's (peace be upon him) hadith "When on of you inflicts a beating, he should avoid striking the face" (Sunnan Abi Dawood). However, you only focused only on the second verse that I posted, while you ignored why it's "evil". Let's look at it in a different way, football players or professional athletes are being paid, while smoking is like burning your own money with a lighter by your own hands.

"And spend in the way of Allah and do not throw [yourselves] with your [own] hands into destruction [by refraining]. And do good; indeed, Allah loves the doers of good." - CH. 2 - V.195

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
But it's still relevant. The US of course didn't need this guy to know about it, no one is surprised tbh, not even the US. But it's okay because Saudi Arabia is an ally and nothing else really matters.
I always believed there was a lot of looking the other way, no doubt. But I can't give much credibility to the guy now all of a sudden. Any more than I can believe Ramzi Yousef converting to Christianity. That ship has sailed long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)