I see the light! (1 Viewer)

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
Ok now im about to get a new laptop, and have seen the monster behind the Microsoft machine.

I want to try Lindows instead of windows. I dont want a linux- too complicated for me, the average run-of-the-mill user. Macs are, well, considered, but should I go for lindows?

Can I use windows programs in lindows? what are the benefits? drawbacks? etc?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Lindows sells cheap computers in Wallmart stores, you can get a desktop for $200 I believe. But laptops I guess are less popular so far, here's a list of Lindows laptop vendors. The great benefit of having it preinstalled is that laptops are harder to set up with Linux, or at least were.

http://info.lindows.com/laptop/buyalaptop.html

In general, no you can not use Windows programs in Lindows, I'm not familiar with v4.5, cause I haven't tried it but it's not something I would count on. I mean I did get cm0304 working in Linux but it was 3 times slower.

You might also consider a Mac. I say this because Macs are known to be very user friendly, that's what they focus on. I haven't used one in years, and never on a laptop, so I can't really say if it's worth the money or not. Mac OSX is based on BSD, a open source Unix (similar to Linux) variant, which means you can use some if not all Linux programs on it.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Btw I did install Ms Office in a Linux environment and it did work surprisingly well but that's an exception from the rule. :)

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
then get one, some of their laptops are nice design wise. when i study fashion desing i will not work in a mac, i cannot stand them

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    Well when your working with high-end audio applications, macs are almost always preferred.

What audio apps do you use on your PC?

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
    It is a clear known fact, that for digital processsing of images, audio, and video, Macs are more stable, efficient and faster. If you are into Media Production, a mac iBook would be your best bet.

maxmc

Jul 27, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
    macs suck!
    :(
    i really hate such people like you...
    i'm sorry, but i have to state this... you enter a discussion and say "macs suck" and that's all.. if you think so, plz at least give reasons for it.... do u use a mac? do u know apples's products?

and what means you can't stand them.. (--> see fabiana's second post)
    i had the same behaviour in the kindergarden.....

i can accept critics about apple, even if i do the best to defend them, but i don't accept such stupid and unqualified statements like yours...

___

@ lac...
    if you really want to do some music production, i really reccommend you to go for a mac (surprise, surprise)
    btw apple released a new app at the macworld in SF, that might interest you: http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #14
    mac.....i mean, max(hehe), chill out man. i guess she was kinda harsh yeah.

btw the program i use- doesnt have a mac version. im looking into garageband though

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
    LAC.. you are getting a new laptop..huh..? what's wrong with the one in your avatar..? :D

btw, I'm getting a new laptop/PC.. I can't decide which one I take.. maybe you guys can help me.. need your recommendations..

@maxmc: easy on fabiana, man.. she didn't offend you by saying macs suck, did she..?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)