human good-heartedness/ charity (1 Viewer)

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
do you believe there's really such a thing to an extent? it's being in my mind for quite a while

Christopher Reeves (old superman) now does alot of charity work and stuff. But Does he do it because he cares or does he do this because he wants FAME or people to think good of him?

Do humans do good so that others give them praise/compliment them? or do we do it out of compasion and good heartedness?

Im not talking about helping somebody(or another living thing) like lending a buck to somebody or sth..but when it comes to big things. Like donating a million to a charity and stuff. Those kinda stuff. Especially when people do it in front of everyone

whats your opinion? is there such a thing?

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    but i feel for some reason..most people (especially celebs) do things like this just for fame/get people to think good of them

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    Crispophere reeves does a lot of charity donations and gathers money for the research of his condition, so that one day he could benifit from it, he harldy does it to be nice.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by discobamba ] ++
    Do humans do good so that others give them praise/compliment them? or do we do it out of compasion and good heartedness?
    No, the question is: is there such a thing as a selfless act? Does anyone help anyone with no personal benefit? Not even to feel good about it or because they like doing it?

OP
    Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    it's almost the same..but yeah..do people do this

i can honestly say that almost most of the time i dont :moan: :angel:

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
    aha tricky one.

I "got" this kid in Burkina Faso. This little girl and her family receives money from me each month. Now they've got food and clothing.

Now why do I do this???
    Probably cuz they need help. Cuz I don't like the fact that children are dying each day cuz of poverty.

I guess you can argue that I do this to feel better about myself. Cuz in some way I don't like that I've got all these things. I'm not rich - but compared to them I'm Bill frikkin' Gates. Now I'm comfortable with the food thrown down my throat each day, cuz I also help out the needy. Sounded weird, but you get it right.

I could just be happy with what I got and don't give a shit about anyone else, but that just don't work for me. So basicly a big part of this charity-thing I'm doing, is infact about me... man we humans are some weird-ass mofo's.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Kaliman ] ++
    aha tricky one.

I "got" this kid in Burkina Faso. This little girl and her family receives money from me each month. Now they've got food and clothing.

Now why do I do this???
    Probably cuz they need help. Cuz I don't like the fact that children are dying each day cuz of poverty.

I guess you can argue that I do this to feel better about myself. Cuz in some way I don't like that I've got all these things. I'm not rich - but compared to them I'm Bill frikkin' Gates. Now I'm comfortable with the food thrown down my throat each day, cuz I also help out the needy. Sounded weird, but you get it right.

I could just be happy with what I got and don't give a shit about anyone else, but that just don't work for me. So basicly a big part of this charity-thing I'm doing, is infact about me... man we humans are some weird-ass mofo's.
    well said, specially the last sentance!!

ebraheej

Jul 16, 2002
    I dont see anything wrong with doing charity and feeling good about it.
    I mean you do it because you feel sorry for them, and then you get some pleasure because you made that person happy.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    i think many people do...... i'm sure there are many people are are selfless. they dont do it for fame. you may not hear about them, but that's not because they dont exist...it's because they dont need to tell anyone.

could it be for themselves (like Anders)...... "Yes," but that's ok. it's not bad to feel good about yourself because you did something good.

I'll use Anders as an example.... He provides for that young girl in Burkina Fasu because he can't feel good about himself unless he helps others. ===> therefore, this is a good thing....this is what caring is about!!! he's not doing it for recognition.

Feel bad for others ==> donate ===> feel good inside. (that's what charity is about so i dont see the problem)

feeling good can't be the goal for Charity, it only comes with it.

OP
    Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #14
    aye, you're not seeing the point of this thread.

ok i'll put it this way.
    whenever you read in the papers and see some rich millionaire donates 10 million dollars to a underpriviledged childrens playground (;)). And you read on to suddenly see that he's running for mayor..whatta coincidence.

coz i always hear of such things. and i think that people that do such things actually do it not to get pleasure inside or feel good about themselves but actually just to gain fame and stuff.

my idea of charity is that it's not to woooo people but to sincerely help others. and not to gain attention. one must give like this: when the right hand gives, the left doesnt even know. that means you really give out of sincerity and not to impress and garner attention.

does anyone understand what im saying?

ebraheej

Jul 16, 2002
    aha now i get it......
    I think most celebs does that for fame, but who are we to judge them the bottomline is they gave out charity. I mean the "kids" will benefit whether it was from the heart or if it is not.

But still i dont think they do it for the "kids".

ebraheej

Jul 16, 2002
    And yes it is good to give charity secretly, but if you are a role model like actors its better to do it, and let people know about it. because they are role models and they might lead people to do the same thing.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Well celebrities do charities for different reasons , either because someone they know is affected by the charity of their choice and they are trying to create awareness or more cynically for tax reasons

By the way well done to you Kaliman, that is a completely selfless act, as your reward is that it makes you feel good that you are helping someone you don't even know
    I give a certain amount to helpess orphans every month and thats the best thing i have ever done in my life

By the way didn't I see this ep[isode in Friends?

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by discobamba ] ++
    do you believe there's really such a thing to an extent? it's being in my mind for quite a while

Christopher Reeves (old superman) now does alot of charity work and stuff. But Does he do it because he cares or does he do this because he wants FAME or people to think good of him?

Im not talking about helping somebody(or another living thing) like lending a buck to somebody or sth..but when it comes to big things. Like donating a million to a charity and stuff. Those kinda stuff. Especially when people do it in front of everyone

whats your opinion? is there such a thing?
    i believe that the TRUE charity,
    must be done secretelly.
    from the moment somebody does charity in front of everyone,
    i have doubts if he is doing it from the bottom of his heart.

gigi's twin

Mar 5, 2003
    Some famous people do the charity, because they know it perfectly, what does it mean, when somebody needs help. I mean some of them were poor, so they give money for helping the poor people. And some of them were seriously ill, and they want the other people have a chance to survive as well. And they do it in public to show the other people how and where should they help if they had the possibility.:angel:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)