HP computers are racist (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I was manning an engineering stand at an open day a couple of years back. One of our labs was doing facial recognition, and had a demo up. Rather embarrassingly, I found out that it had exactly the same problem.

Omair

Herticity
Sep 27, 2006
I was manning an engineering stand at an open day a couple of years back. One of our labs was doing facial recognition, and had a demo up. Rather embarrassingly, I found out that it had exactly the same problem.
Interesting, I'm studying a digital signal processing course right now and will start a digital image processing one in Feb.. This is quite interesting .. :p

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Very interesting.

I wonder how it works. What is it recognising?
I don't have an expert knowledge of it, but as far as I know, there are a few things they tend to look for: the eyes, the lips, the general outline of a head, and large areas of the image which fall in particular colour ranges (white skin is much easier than dark here - hence the 'racism'). There are others, but I'm trying to recall a casual conversation with a postdoc two or three years ago. Maybe Martin has some familiarity with the problem?

Sep 1, 2002
I don't have an expert knowledge of it, but as far as I know, there are a few things they tend to look for: the eyes, the lips, the general outline of a head, and large areas of the image which fall in particular colour ranges (white skin is much easier than dark here - hence the 'racism'). There are others, but I'm trying to recall a casual conversation with a postdoc two or three years ago. Maybe Martin has some familiarity with the problem?
Thank you. I had wonder if the colour range played a part. I wonder what the difficulties of dark skin represent. I have friend I will ask.
It's not racism, just poor testing.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
That was horrible was this video, but i think there is another video that dismisses it.
Just like Australian KFCs, eh?
Some of the people here are pissed off because of the American reaction to this ad. It was pulled off the air here btw.

OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #17
    Yeah there is a video that dismisses it.They've actually said that it has something to do with the contrast in the background lightning.There's a official HP statement mentioning the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)