How not to build websites (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Ahhh I could write this myself :)

A newbie's website experience:

oh, my new geocities homepage is ready! Now I'll just take down the under construction graphic and wait for the hit counter to rise! While I'm at it, I'd better update the About Me page and make this menu open up a new window cos it's important :undecide:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
a lot of great points :thumb: but i think the guy gets carried away with stuff that deal with taste. some pages should be designed differently according to the type of info displayed. we know there are speed/design trade offs. different pages should sacrifice loading speed for a design the matches its content and purpose.
He's too static with his opinions. Other people have different tastes and calling them losers is just ignorant.

Anyhow, i think it's a good guidline for people starting to design webpages.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
He's too static with his opinions. Other people have different tastes and calling them losers is just ignorant.

Anyhow, i think it's a good guidline for people starting to design webpages.
Actually, there's some things which are just plain annoying and not a matter of taste.

FoR ExAmPLE, tYPiNg, lIkE tHIs iS jUSt aNNoYinG nO MatTer HoW iT'S uSeD.

And there's plenty of annoying things like flashing text and cluttered, over-used effects.

Overuse of easily accesible effects used to be rampant in Powerpoint, and now with the invention of such things as MS Frontpage :fero:, it's much the same with websites now

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

Actually, there's some things which are just plain annoying and not a matter of taste.

FoR ExAmPLE, tYPiNg, lIkE tHIs iS jUSt aNNoYinG nO MatTer HoW iT'S uSeD.

And there's plenty of annoying things like flashing text and cluttered, over-used effects.

Overuse of easily accesible effects used to be rampant in Powerpoint, and now with the invention of such things as MS Frontpage :fero:, it's much the same with websites now
did i say everything was a matter of taste?!?!!

BTW, i dont agree with you about the WiErd TeXt tYpInG ThINg. to you, it might be annoying, but to a 13 year old girl who made her website, it might be cool. dont devalue other people's taste. Sorry, but stating your opinion ("just plain annoying") isn't an argument... try again.

I expected a better reply from you Gray. ;)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
I expected a better reply from you Gray. ;)
I'm flattered, but with these kinds of things, there's gotta be some kind of standards. I'm not saying that everyone in the world will find these things ugly, but to most of the world's population, there's some things which are just... universally unaccepted.

Of course there's gonna be a few people in the world who are gonna approve of pretty much everything, but in general, it's not acceptable.

It's kind of like etiquette. Most of the world wouldn't approve of people stuffing themselves with grubby hands and spilling it everywhere, but you wouldn't call it a matter of taste (no pun intended :D) just because some people would be okay with it.

I'm not against letting people express their opinions, and i don't go attacking people who use things that annoy me, but i must admit that i thumped my chest and agreed whole-heartedly with most of the things listed on that site.

I was talking about generally accepted standards, Majed. Not universally accepted style :)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002

I'm flattered, but with these kinds of things, there's gotta be some kind of standards. I'm not saying that everyone in the world will find these things ugly, but to most of the world's population, there's some things which are just... universally unaccepted.

Of course there's gonna be a few people in the world who are gonna approve of pretty much everything, but in general, it's not acceptable.

It's kind of like etiquette. Most of the world wouldn't approve of people stuffing themselves with grubby hands and spilling it everywhere, but you wouldn't call it a matter of taste (no pun intended :D) just because some people would be okay with it.

I'm not against letting people express their opinions, and i don't go attacking people who use things that annoy me, but i must admit that i thumped my chest and agreed whole-heartedly with most of the things listed on that site.

I was talking about generally accepted standards, Majed. Not universally accepted style :)

i know you mean general (and not universal), but it's not for you to say that something is general.

for example, you mentioned etiquette. well, in my part of the world, many people eat with their right hand from a single dish. not because they can't afford spoons, but because it's a custom. It's even used for more formal gatherings like weddings and other special occasions.
does this mean we are less polite? of course NOT. it just means that your definition of acceptable is different than many many others.

a LOT and i mean a lot of people where i come from use this WiErD TyPing Of TexT. it's not something wierd to me. I noticed when Miss Dubai and other members from the UAE typed this way, many of you thought it was rediculous. i respect your opinions, but when your definition of general excludes millions of people, then you might need to look for another word.

I'll say it again... this person makes many very good points, but he goes overboard with his insults, judgjments and his lack of respect/knowledge for many people's taste.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Okay Majed, I didn't mean to go dissing a group of people who don't have the same tastes as me. I'll never understand those people though :D

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #12
    I think you're taking this a little too far, Majed. This isn't mainstream material and it never was meant to be..

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    I think you're taking this a little too far, Majed. This isn't mainstream material and it never was meant to be..
    it's fun testing Gray's tolorance though :D

;)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    :sigh: I really need to stand my ground sometimes don't i :undecide::lazy:

;)
    :LOL:

i just love messin with ya gray :D

would you wipe off the dirt from my shoes with your toung? and be quick about it :D

;) :LOL:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Majed, I know you're gonna edit this post and write a quote, pretending i wrote something like

"of course dude :kiss:"

So don't bother taking it out of context

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    Majed, I know you're gonna edit this post and write a quote, pretending i wrote something like

"of course dude :kiss:"

So don't bother taking it out of context
    Damn!

i was hoping the shoe thing would grow and other people would see it before you get back....

it was worth a try ;)

BTW: i have to give credit to that comeback :thumb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)