How many languages do you speak fluently? (18 Viewers)

How many languages do you speak fluently?

• 6+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
No, man, Catalan isn't all that difficult, there's just no point in learning it unless you're going to live in Barcelona the rest of your life. And even then everyone speaks Spanish too. I speak Italian and French and I can sometimes translate entire Catalan sentences (I have two friends who are from Barcelona and they speak Catalan amongst themselves). My knowledge of Arabic grammar is very basic, but as a European I'm pretty confident it would be much harder for me to learn Arabic. I also don't believe we're any more capable of learning a new language, it's just that we speak a lot of different languages and that most of those languages have similar grammar.
I understand Spanish fairly well. I can't speak it well anymore, but I understand when people are speaking (moderately) or if it's written down (I work with a lot of spanish speakers). My advisor is Catalan and I can't understand anything he says if he speaks at full speed. I guess it would be easier if I had some French.

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
But I heard that the Catalan language is probably the most difficult language to learn and speak .. :shocked:
No, it's not. Seven's right, it's pretty close to French and Spanish. You're probably thinking of Basque, which has that reputation because it's not an Indo-European language, and so is wildly different from any of the Romance or Germanic languages. Whether it's actually harder to learn than any other language which is unrelated to your own or not, I don't know.

Sep 1, 2002
No, it's not. Seven's right, it's pretty close to French and Spanish. You're probably thinking of Basque, which has that reputation because it's not an Indo-European language, and so is wildly different from any of the Romance or Germanic languages. Whether it's actually harder to learn than any other language which is unrelated to your own or not, I don't know.
Basque and the basque people are the most intriguing in Europe.

Wonderful land.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Basque is more difficult.
Basque and the basque people are the most intriguing in Europe.

Wonderful land.
:pint:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
What a random thread in which to make one's first post...

Spammer? Judging by the signature, probably.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)