How many languages do you speak fluently? (3 Viewers)

How many languages do you speak fluently?

• 6+

Results are only viewable after voting.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
Fluently? Arabic and somewhat English. While French is decent and Im working on my German ATM.

So yea, It's 4, HATERS! :stuckup:

Sep 1, 2002
:D

Except for those whose native language is English, I think there are a very few members here who speak English fluently.
An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him.
The moment he talks, he makes some other Englishman despise him.
One common language I'm afraid we'll never get.
Oh why can't the English learn to--

Set a good example to people, who's English, is painful to your ears.
The Scotch and the Irish leave you close to tears!
There are even places where English completely disappears,
Why, in America they haven't spoken it for years.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I done courses in Uni by english professors with mainly english speaking foreign exchange students (and they had nothing to do with english literature), and done it without hitches. Granted bit untrained vocally out of habit (not much occasion to speak english), had to at first think extra seconds before speaking. I thought it would be harder/more difficult then it was (speaking bit, not understanding).

But would say its near enough fluently. Without ever passing as english as ones native toungue obviously (due to accent). But yeah, english is fairly easy language, or better yet, a language that we have been droned into heavily by the dominant ango-saxon pop culture.

Little trivia, was talking books with friends, and 4 of us, and 2 of us talking about same books, authors etc. While the third asked about a Swedish book, we were like what? Rest of the time talking about how semi odd it is that almost for a decade, 3 of the 4 of us has read books in english exclusively (not only english original books, but prefering english translation over swedish one in orginally non english books etc), to the point a swedish book seemed odd or foreign just by mentionning it. Its a deliberate choice ofcourse. But yeah, english is VERY much common in several ways, atleast here (I mean, Swedish artist sing in english way more then actual swedish).

Sep 1, 2002
I done courses in Uni by english professors with mainly english speaking foreign exchange students (and they had nothing to do with english literature), and done it without hitches. Granted bit untrained vocally out of habit (not much occasion to speak english), had to at first think extra seconds before speaking. I thought it would be harder/more difficult then it was (speaking bit, not understanding).

But would say its near enough fluently. Without ever passing as english as ones native toungue obviously (due to accent). But yeah, english is fairly easy language, or better yet, a language that we have been droned into heavily by the dominant ango-saxon pop culture.

Little trivia, was talking books with friends, and 4 of us, and 2 of us talking about same books, authors etc. While the third asked about a Swedish book, we were like what? Rest of the time talking about how semi odd it is that almost for a decade, 3 of the 4 of us has read books in english exclusively (not only english original books, but prefering english translation over swedish one in orginally non english books etc), to the point a swedish book seemed odd or foreign just by mentionning it. Its a deliberate choice ofcourse. But yeah, english is VERY much common in several ways, atleast here (I mean, Swedish artist sing in english way more then actual swedish).
English is highly dependent on idioms, which makes it a difficult language to become fluent in. And by fluent I mean able to verbalise intellectual thought. I can speak another language but in that language I feel like a fishmonger's wife rather than a intellectual.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Haha, good point. But then your definition of fluent is bit more demanding then prolly the basic general use of the word.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Haha, good point. But then your definition of fluent is bit more demanding then prolly the basic general use of the word.
thats coz hes wrong, how many people can discuss intellectual matter in a competent and clear manner regardless of how they learned the language? Fluent means you can interact socially, professionally and officially without much trouble. yes you're fluent Os :p

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Depends on your definition of being fluent. Not only is this to speak smoothly and effortlessly but in my opinion, it also is to get into serious discussions on different topics. I for one don't consider myself fluent in speaking English even though I more or less can express myself.

Many times I prefer to sit back and watch the others talking about (let's say) a philosophic or scientific topic because I'm sure I can't express myself very well unless I speak in my language.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)