How Does Juve Stack Up In Europe (1 Viewer)

UltraGeo

Aug 5, 2003
The teams mentioned by Catenaccio are the obvious candidates... But I would say both Milan and Bayern have better chances than Juve. It sounds pessimistic, but on one side, Milan will be boasting great confidence; they are the reigning champions and their team has barely changed - they will know in their minds that they are VERY capable of winning the CL.

Bayern are really hurt by last year's disaster... I haven't seen them play in a while, but an offensive lineup including Makaay, Elber, Pizarro and Ballack is quite intimidating... adding to that the fact that they, together with Juve, are one of the world's most solid sides.

We can't rule out Real at all... Los Galacticos have all the pressure, as has been the case in the last 3-4 years or so. Queiroz doesn't convince me, personally. I know he worked at Manutd, but other than that, I don't think he has coached a top team on the levels of Juve, Milan, Manutd, Barca, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong. Plus, their defence is looking worse than ever - Hierro is gone, and I don't believe Pavon can take on the responsibility of replacing him. According to the latest reports Valdano has made it clear that IF they sign a defender, he must be cheap and young... maybe a good prospect for the future, but almost certainly not an advantage for the coming season. The thing is Real may receive 4 goals, but they can easily score 5.

Manutd have shown great preseason form... Veron's departure might not affect them THAT much, in my opinion... He wasn't on the pitch against Juve on the 2nd half and Manutd still played better and even scored. But in the end, it was only preseason. however, they have still got some great players in hand; there's not only Giggs, ruud and Scholes. I think Solskjaer will rise up to their level this season; Beck's and Veron's departure will free him some space - he certainly has the talent. There's also Butt and Keane... authentic midfield lions.

Last but not least Juve. We've strengthened our side, no doubt about that. What worries me most, however, is that we don't have a clear goalscorer - many would say it's Del Piero, but over 30% of his goals are penalty kicks. We can't depend on dives our fouls within the opponent's area to score goals. Trezz is clearly off form, so I feel we are currently relying on the odd goals from a defender or a midfielder. That's why most of the team scored at least a goal last season. It's good to have many players capable of scoring, but it's also important to have one SURE scorer. It's what ruud is for Manutd, Ronaldo for Real, and Pizarro for Bayern.
Other than that, I'm fairly happy with Juve. I expect us in the semis at least.

Other teams I think are worth keeping an eye on are the New Chelsea (Duff and Veron will add A LOT), Inter and Real Sociedad (they are an extremely compact team... even thouogh they've almost certainly lost their captain, De Pedro, the major palyers are still there: Kovacevic, Nihat, etc, etc. - however the lack of experience plays against them).

walu_ex

May 18, 2003
Milan may not have made any big additions to their squad, but they're still the team to beat. A quality backup for Nesta isn't really that important, they spend so much time in their opponent's half.

walu_ex

May 18, 2003
1. Milan
2. Manchester
3. Real Madrid

Not too sure about the rest.

The teams mentioned by Catenaccio are the obvious candidates... But I would say both Milan and Bayern have better chances than Juve. It sounds pessimistic, but on one side, Milan will be boasting great confidence; they are the reigning champions and their team has barely changed - they will know in their minds that they are VERY capable of winning the CL.

LEC

Sep 6, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
Hey mate check the latest news....Utd sold Veron to Chelsea ;)

So unless they buy a quality player in midfield, they are in theory not even a top 3 pretendent. Especially if RvN is missing due to injury or suspension.

Also, when you think about it, in these past 10 years, Utd only arrived to the CL final once and people always think they're a dead sure that they will make it to the top 2. Slighty over rated, though they are a quality team.
:thumb::thumb: zizou i like u!

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
walu - Milan better than Man Utd or Real Madrid? :rolleyes:

As they stand, Real Madrid and Man Utd have only weakened their teams, that is unless they buy quality players (which I think they will).

If Milan had not won the penalties, I bet you wouldn't be so confident about winning it next season.

Stats are against Milan, as no team in the past 10 years has won the CL 2 years in a row....and from the looks of it, this year won't be an exception.

del pozzo

Jul 22, 2003
I think the favorites would be Juve ;) , Real, and Bayern..

believe me, with the departure of beckham and veron, Man Utd will getting weaker.. unless they buy quality players in midfield..

Milan?? No way they are gonna win the CL this time ..

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
i'm not sure why Man utd are being so highly rated.

they have lossed to much creativeness fomr there midfield. sure, ole is taking becks' role, and scholes is free to play his former role, but they have no back ups to RVN, scholes, ole or giggs.

Seriously, if RVN gets injured, who will play? what if scholes gets injured??

they havent bought anyone to replace or be back ups yet.

i'm starting to think that this topic would be good once the CL squads are put through as many teams are still going to make transfers. ie. Vieri to chelsea maybe? man utd buying more players, chelsea buying more players, juve buying pizarro and losing maresca (why, i have no idea).

s0ftcore

Jul 13, 2002
I think Man Utd will do well, even without good backups. They have a really good team, despite the loss of Veron and Becks.

As for Juve, I hope we play with more confidence in Europe. I hope we win it this season.

Milan, Real and Bayern all have a chance to win it too. And let's not forget about the dark horses like Chelsea, Arsenal, Inter, Sociedad and maybe even the likes of Newcastle or Ajax.

If Juve want to do well, I think we're gonna need luck to go far. Luck wasn't exactly with us last season (semi final against Real, shoot-out against Milan)... so yeah.

sutnop

Apr 24, 2003
wait.... who said Chelsea are they even in the Competition I thought its only Man U and Arsenal and NEwcastle has to qualify

as far as I know you a team can't buy its way into the CL yet....

AS for People saying Man U, come on they lost two players and they have acutally got backups for them Kleberson (clearly worse then Becks but still good) and DJemba Djemba who will do a much better job definsivley then Veron,
But the Attack looks really messed up one Striker to rule them all.... 1 hype, he is gone there is only Kieron Richardsson or Forlan...

Milan will also not make it,
While Real Madrid has a defense comparable to Newcastles or PSV and with a loss or a suspension their Defense becomes comparable to Udinese or Lens....

No matter how good your attack is or midfield is you have to be solid in all departments...

So Fanboys step down,
1 can conceed 4 but score 5
doesn't work against top sides when was the last time Juve conceded 5 goals????

----------------------------------------
Franco Sensi Petso Di Merda

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
AS for People saying Man U, come on they lost two players and they have acutally got backups for them Kleberson (clearly worse then Becks but still good) and DJemba Djemba who will do a much better job definsivley then Veron,
they lossed two offensive players and replaced them with two defensive.

Kleberson isnt even proven in europe as yet, who knows what to expect from him. DjembaX2 is a nobody as far as i'm concerned and will be 4th choice behind keane, butt and kleberson for that matter.

who have they got to replace Giggs, Scholes, Ole and RVN if they get injured?

Forlan is shit, Richardson who???? Oh, Fortune can replace a midfielder i suppose.

man utd are solid at the back and have a solid team overall, but if injuries strike, they are in trouble. they can cover defence and the defensive midfield, but as far as i'm concern, giggs, scholes, ole and ruud have no back up at all.

And Chelsea are in the CL.

walu_ex

May 18, 2003
Man United and Juve are similar. They have put together a group of plaers whose first impulse is the sacrifice of individual glory for the good of team's cause. That makes them very strong indeed.

Milan and Real are similar because they both depend heavily on the strategy of ball possession.

Milan are better than Real because they have better defenders. Real Madrid seems designed to attack down the flanks, whereas the Rossoneri have more options in attack thanks to an extremly versatile midfield. They can make subtle changes to the role and positioning of Seedorf, Pirlo and Rui Costa that other managers can have a hard time figuring out. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Salgado and R. Carlos are always going to push forward and join the attack, and that leaves the slow Helguera and the young Pavon very exposed.

I'm not really sure how Man Utd and Milan would match up, but they have so many players with a good work ethic that it compensates or their lack of flair. Just like Juve. In these games, we can only sit back and watch those players that live for the big games do their thing. And as far as big game players go, Milan have a handful - to state the obvious....

As long as Juve have Buffon healthy, no one should count them out. Not exactly a superpower, the're still trying to make a name for themselves in Europe. The Champion's Cup has an important factor called tradition.

I can't believe Valencia won't be there. It's such a joy to watch them play.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I see real madrid more comparable to Manchester than to milan, because both teams are full attack, and both enjoy their style of playing when they clash. Remember how many goals each team scored in the 2 legs in the last CL.

But when Real Faced Juventus, they seem a problem there, because Juve doesnt play their game. They faced a more balanced defense.

Now i think that Man U have a better defence than real.

They will be the big thread in the CL like always. Real and all the other teams too.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
real have bettered there midfield obviously, but done nothing else.

they'll be a very good team as usual, but i think in the crunch times in the finals, once again, their defence will be a weak spot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)