House of Cards (6 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
This thread is rendered virtually pointless given the way the series is released en masse, though.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
This thread is rendered virtually pointless given the way the series is released en masse, though.
You hate it because it is Netflix, but the show is brilliant. One of the best since the Wire. I guess you can't see it though?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I've seen it. Haven't started S3 yet. Loved S1, and S2 started great and then waned off.
I haven't seen S3 yet, but I fear it will be less good. I mean, it can only go downhill from here really. He's president, isn't he?

I guess what I liked about it the most was the way he is ruthless in killing off opponents. I can't remember the last time I was shocked when someone was killed on a tv show, but I was two times during this show.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
You hate it because it is Netflix, but the show is brilliant. One of the best since the Wire. I guess you can't see it though?
I find it incredibly overrated tbh. It's not that it's bad or anything, but I wouldn't place it anywhere near shows like The Wire, or "even" Breaking Bad.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I find it incredibly overrated tbh. It's not that it's bad or anything, but I wouldn't place it anywhere near shows like The Wire, or "even" Breaking Bad.
It's very different and it's less subtle. But I also think that's because of the topic. At the top of the food chain politics are not as subtle as we like think.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I've seen it. Haven't started S3 yet. Loved S1, and S2 started great and then waned off.
OK... finished watching S3 finally. I'd rate it a 5/10. Major drop on writing quality and interest when compared to S2 or especially S1. No political intrigue. No over-arching drama, save for the Russian premiere stuff which was the most interesting part of the season. Mostly personal drama between two people that could be anywhere but the White House.

This show, IMO, should be cancelled.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
Seems like everyone missed it but season 4 has been out for 3 days. I've watched 4 episodes so far and it has been brilliant.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think they lost me after Season 3. Clearly jumped the shark once he became president.
It's still decent. But the truly interesting thing is always going to be the rise to power. So it should end with him becoming president.

Frankly for a TV show his role as majority whip was probably the most fascinating.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's still decent. But the truly interesting thing is always going to be the rise to power. So it should end with him becoming president.

Frankly for a TV show his role as majority whip was probably the most fascinating.
Yep. The first season was the best. The second started out incredibly strong and then waned. The third completely lost its way. Once he was president, it was like they were inventing personal stories rather than playing to the broader theme of Washington power... which meant it could have been a show about a lot of power couples.

This is the risk of audience expectation, however. While there are exceptions like Breaking Bad that took several seasons for a metamorphosis, I get the sense that writers now are encouraged to accelerate plotlines faster than they would have a decade or two ago. This makes shows risk jumping the shark a lot sooner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)