Honshu, Japan Earthquake & Tsunami - March 2011 (8 Viewers)

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006
Japan :D Although I'm generally poor with Chinese characters, and my overall proficiency is pretty mediocre, I was there less than a year.
I lived there for almost 5 years (Education as well) and it's was an amazing experience...
I also agree with you about the Chinese characters... so hard to memorize them!

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006
ψoody ;2933533 said:
I think chinese characters are easy once u know how to tackle them

What did u both study?
It's easy to know its meaning but not easy at all to know how you pronounce them...

Well... I majored in earthquake engineering :D Got masters degree.

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
RAMI¹⁰;2933541 said:
It's easy to know its meaning but not easy at all to know how you pronounce them...

Well... I majored in earthquake engineering :D Got masters degree.
Great,I love japan,i wanted to live there but only managed a couple of months....what language did u study in?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
ψoody ;2933533 said:
I think chinese characters are easy once u know how to tackle them

What did u both study?
I never really had to learn or tried to learn them until recently, so it's just lack of study on my part. I went on an international exchange program with other European students, my course was computer business and CAD based. Apparently Nagoya does language courses and I wouldn't mind going back if they would give me a 2-year uni place :D

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006
ψoody ;2933544 said:
Great,I love japan,i wanted to live there but only managed a couple of months....what language did u study in?
Courses were in Japanese, but I wrote my thesis in English because it was much easier for me :D

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
I never really had to learn or tried to learn them until recently, so it's just lack of study on my part. I went on an international exchange program with other European students, my course was computer business and CAD based. Apparently Nagoya does language courses and I wouldn't mind going back if they would give me a 2-year uni place :D
Sounds good man.

Here is the floats and buoys site. Something to watch. The Tsunami should be hitting the Hawaiian islands in less than an hour. West Coast of CONUS will be affected in about three or 4our hours.

http://www.argo.ucsd.edu/

what speed are the waves moving at? is there any way to find that out?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
ψoody ;2933564 said:
what speed are the waves moving at? is there any way to find that out?
At the onset, the Tsunami was moving at supersonic speeds. We're talking 600 kilometers per hour. It slows down gradually over time because of water and sea feature resistance.

From Tokyo to Honolulu, the distance is about 6200 kilometers. So at those speeds, it would take the Tsunami 10 hours to reach Hawaii, which is about right.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
BREAKING: Evacuation 2,000 residents near Fukushima nuclear plant.

That must be the one with the cooling system failure. If they get a strong aftershock there's gonna be problems.

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
At the onset, the Tsunami was moving at supersonic speeds. We're talking 600 kilometers per hour. It slows down gradually over time because of water and sea feature resistance.

From Tokyo to Honolulu, the distance is about 6200 kilometers. So at those speeds, it would take the Tsunami 10 hours to reach Hawaii, which is about right.

Wow,angry water at 600 kilometers an hour,good luck to hawaii.

Let's hope there is not much damage,and then be prepared for all the hurricanes and cyclones this earthquake triggers.

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
It was not more than a month ago when i was sitting on the forum at around midnight and everything started to shake,strong tremors hit delhi due to an earth quake in pakistan,it was pretty scary for a second

I wonder if we have any chance of being hit by anything because of this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)