Holland - America (9 Viewers)

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #61
    REIZIGER OUT, DE JONG IN

Ajax Amsterdam defender Nigel de Jong was called up on Monday to replace the injured Michael Reiziger in the Dutch squad for their friendly against the United States, on Wednesday.

The Dutch football association (KNVB) said Reiziger suffered a thigh injury during Barcelona's 3-1 win against Atletico Madrid in the Spanish Primera Liga on Sunday.

De Jong, 19, joins team mate John Heitinga as the second new player in Dick Advocaat's squad for Wednesday's friendly international in Amsterdam.

De Jong is a starter for Ajax and has excellent defensive AND offensive techniques. He scored goals against Arsenal, PSV and Feyenoord.

The new expected line-up:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ramin

vBookie Champion
    Nov 18, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Ramin ] ++

i cant believe that Riezeger is still in NT .. him and Panucci are both the same (crap).. why doesnt ^Dick^ callup Klompe from heerinveen (if i'm not mistake nor sure of spelling of the team?).
    Dick heard me and now he's pretending that Reizeger is injured :D

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    I'll get to watch this match live on ESPN. It's a pity Robben isn't starting. Is he injured or on the bench?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
    Erik i dont agree. When a team qualifies the way Holland did, it just means theyre bound to do well.

I dunno there seems to be this thing about teams that struggle in qualifying and barely make it always go on to do really well in the tournament itself.

And as for quality goes, id put the dutch right behind Italy as championship contenders. France wud be third.
    :groan:
    you're defenitly in the list of people that will be proven wrong by the start of July;)

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #66
    ++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
    I'll get to watch this match live on ESPN. It's a pity Robben isn't starting. Is he injured or on the bench?
    Robben appears to start on the bench but you never can tell with Advocaat. This line-up is an expected one, not a definite one.

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #68
    Both if I recall correctly.

Either way - he can't play together with Ruud van Nistelrooy (despite Advocaat having put them on the field together dozens of times) and it's not like Kluivert is playing better than Van Nistelrooy at the moment.

Bongiovi

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
    Both if I recall correctly.

Either way - he can't play together with Ruud van Nistelrooy (despite Advocaat having put them on the field together dozens of times) and it's not like Kluivert is playing better than Van Nistelrooy at the moment.
    Very true, oh well at least its on TV, and we can see some new talent!!

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #71
    Correction: you can see some new talent. I won't be watching :embarass:

Hey, you can't blame me - it's Brazilian Carnaval night in downtown The Hague :angel:

++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    can i say van nistelrooij and still be right?
    Yes you can.

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #73
    I'm not sure yet. Probably not. Maybe something last-minute but either way nothing great. I hear most people don't dress up anyway (not counting the professional dancers etc.) so I'd look a bit of fool :D

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #74
    Stuart - A Dutch newspaper posted a different line-up with Robben in it. They are usually right so there's a good chance you'll see him afterall :)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Goodie :) Btw, with all players fit, available and on form, what is your preferred starting line-up?

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #76
    That's a tough one...

Well, seeing as the only decent keeper we have is Van der Sar (Ajax have a talented keeper in Stekelenburg but he lacks experience), he's on the goal.

Our defence simply stinks so we'll minimise that one and put our strengths somewhere else. Two very talented youngsters under the supervision of Jaap Stam should do.

Our midfield rules, so six men there (or five, depends on how you characterise Van der Vaart). Now, with a three men defence, you'll need a couple of midfielders who can tackle and help out so Seedorf-Davids-Zenden is the best combination you can have there. Seedorf usually has his eyes on the goal so I'd tell him in advance to "either defend as well or he can ****ing forget about being selected next time" :D

Up front Sneijder, Van der Vaart and Robben. All three can go wide, all three can come into the centre, all three have TWO good legs. Very important

Van Nistelrooy is our best striker at the moment and he can't play together with Kluivert so that's a one-man strike force.

Now, this line-up has the potential to completely rule ro to totally suck but I would definitely try it in a friendly against the US!

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #78
    Thanks Suzanne!

DUTCH NEWSPAPERS

Below is a selection of what the newspapers wrote today. I thought it would be nice to take you through the world of the Dutch drama media :D

A CHANCE TO RELIVE OLD TIMES

...we once ruled the world. We defeated the Spanish, the English and the French in the space of one century. Times have changed but tonight, let us relive that glorious age as we have the chance of defeating the world's only remaining empire on the football pitch. Let's show the world that we may be small but we are by no means a pushover...

THE FEELING ISN'T MUTUAL

...tonight Oranje will face the squad of one of the finest nations on earth and one of our best allies. And that is exactly why it is such a big shame we don't share the same passion. The vast majority of Americans think of a totally different thing when they hear the word "football", hopefully that will change tonight. Hopefully, Oranje and the US will treat the world to a stunning piece of our football...

THE RISK OF UNDERESTIMATING

...a great nation such as the USA simply does not do failure. Not in sports anyway. Have you ever witnessed a world championship in any sport without a wininng American in it somehwere? No, exactly. Oranje would be wise not to underestimate the Americans. After all, those who did so in the past have fallen, have they not?

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #79
    NEW DUTCH KIT

The Netherlands will play in a new kit when they face the USA on Wednesday night. No official picture has been released yet but we're dealing with the following set-up: orange shirt, white shorts, orange socks. The FA has deliberately chosen a theme that resembles that of 1988 when Holland won Euro88.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)