History section of Juventuz (2 Viewers)

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
OK then, I'll try to get it ready soon, but I'm quite busy with my works... Let's see, it should be ready next week or so.

Furino - coming soon.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Erkka said:
OK then, I'll try to get it ready soon, but I'm quite busy with my works... Let's see, it should be ready next week or so.

Furino - coming soon.
Hey, if it could wait this long, what's another week! :biggrin:

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
mikhail said:
Sure. I'll do the checking if you like.
additional: would be perfectly happy to offer my services as a grammar/spell checker for anyone's writing. Don't know jack about Juventus compared to some others around here but reckon I could proof read and iron out 99% of errors.

Geof

May 14, 2004
Now that's nice. Good initiative.

I can say some rep and vCash flowing for those who'll write the stuff...

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
It's finally ready, thanks to my sick note from work. Mikhail, since you offered to check it, please do so. Feel free to change and add pretty much everything you think you need to.

Please tell me what do you people think of it.

Giuseppe Furino, one of the most successful players ever, the holder of the most prestigious non-individual record of Italy, a true winner with capital W.

Furino wasn’t the one of the sexiest players in front of media, after all he played as defensive midfielder, he wasn’t specially talented with the ball and he wasn’t mentionably handsome. His playing style certainly didn’t offer such elegance or mastery visible to the larger audience unlike many of his team mates. His talents were lying some where else than in technical department, the most vicious could even claim that they didn’t exist, at least not on the football pitch.

Born after war in Palermo at the summer of 1946, Furino already started to play for Juve’s junior teams as kid. Despite his start with Juve, his professional career started for Savona, a small town near Genova in the coast of the Mediterranean. He played there in the minor leagues for two seasons, and then became the time for his big break, the debut in Serie A. This how ever required moving to Napoli. A season with the southerners were an immense success, a start for the way of returning home. In the summer of ’69 Giuseppe travelled back home in North to play for the Italian royals.

With Juventus Furino showed that he might be a minor by his looks (he was only 169 centimetres tall), but on the field he was a real giant for a man. The little boy had grown in to a major player, and in his debut season with Juve he played all of the games through out season, which would happen almost all the way through his retirement from football.

How on Earth could such an unskilful boy do such things? Furino had one unbeatable talent for anyone, he had been blessed by guts that would be enough even for a whole village. His determination and willpower just needed to be harnessed properly, and luckily Juve’s coaches understood Beppe’s function ability as an anchor of the midfield. His tactical understanding of the beautiful game and his unselfishness were irreplaceable help for Juventus that were already full of brilliant attacking minded players, and naturally someone had to make space for Scirea’s famous advances from the back. Furino’s unyieldingness on the pitch kept him as an important part of the team.

Quite naturally the fans of other teams literally hated Furino. After all he often played hard and never give up even an inch. Furino certainly made life difficult for the players that dared to ambush his territory, specially his clashes with Gianni Rivera are still remembered. His nickname that grew from his playing style probably tells it all. “Furia” (which literally means fury in English). The fact that he carried captain’s armband between the the years of 1976-82 tells pretty much of his enormous will power. He was the captain of Juve that were already full of natural born leaders, all the way from Zoff and Scirea to Cabrini, Tardelli and many others. Along with their charismatic captain Juve won a game, and after that could instantly concentrate to their next target, winning even more. He’s probably the best symbol for the culture of winning, the purest and finest example of spirito Juve that you have to respect, all though very much against their will by other teams’ fans.

Furino proved along his long career (15 seasons with Juve) that a footballer can became exceptionally successful even if he didn’t have the most special talents with the ball. I don’t think that nowadays for example guys like Tacchinardi or Roy Keane protest that claim. After his glorious career Furino quite naturally decided to carry on in a club he loves, this time as a scout. The word on the street is that even as scout Furino preferred more hard-working, modest players that were crucial for the sake of team spirit rather than often egoistic, virtioustic ball-lovers.

Outside Juve Italy and pretty much the rest of the world kept Furino as too much technically limited player, so he capped for the blue shirt of Azzurri only three times, (once in the World Cup of 1970). On the other hand, who really cares? Furino still has a nice bunch of achievements to comfort himself. When he finally ended his career in the summer of 1984, he had won pretty much everything. The record of 8 scudetti, 2 Coppa Italia in the domestic competitions and the trophies of Uefa Cup and Cup winners Cup brought from Europe and the trophy of world team championships pretty much sums it up. Not to forget that he still is the second most capped player for Juve with his 528 official matches (which is only 24 less than Scirea’s record!) Not a bad result by “limited and talentless” guy.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Erkka said:
It's finally ready, thanks to my sick note from work. Mikhail, since you offered to check it, please do so. Feel free to change and add pretty much everything you think you need to.

Done. Well done Erkka, that's a really good piece. I've tried not to alter it too much.

Erkka said:
Giuseppe Furino, one of the most successful players ever, the holder of the most illustrious haul of trophies of any player in Italy, a true winner with capital W.

Furino wasn’t the one of the sexiest players in front of media, after all he played as defensive midfielder, he wasn’t specially talented with the ball and he wasn’t mentionably handsome. His playing style certainly didn’t offer such elegance or mastery visible to the larger audience, unlike many of his team mates. His talents were lying some where else than in technical department, the most vicious could even claim that they didn’t exist, at least not on the football pitch.

Born after war in Palermo at the summer of 1946, Furino already started to play for Juve’s junior teams as kid. Despite his start with Juve, his professional career started for Savona, a small town near Genova in the coast of the Mediterranean. He played there in the minor leagues for two seasons, and then became the time for his big break, the debut in Serie A. This, however, required moving to Napoli. A season with the southerners was an immense success, a start on the journey home. In the summer of ’69, Giuseppe travelled back home North to play for the Italian royals.

With Juventus, Furino showed that he might be a minor by his looks (he was only 169 centimetres tall), but on the field he was a real giant of a man. The little boy had grown in to a major player, and in his debut season with Juve he played all of the games throughout the season, a feat he repeated most years until his retirement from football.

How on Earth could such an unskilful boy do such things? Furino had one unbeatable talent for anyone, he had been blessed by guts that would be enough even for a whole village. His determination and willpower just needed to be harnessed properly, and luckily Juve’s coaches understood Beppe’s function ability as an anchor of the midfield. His tactical understanding of the beautiful game and his unselfishness were irreplaceable help for Juventus that were already full of brilliant attacking minded players, and naturally someone had to make space for Scirea’s famous advances from the back. Furino’s unyieldingness on the pitch made him an important part of the team.

Quite naturally the fans of other teams literally hated Furino. After all he often played hard and never give up even an inch. Furino certainly made life difficult for the players that dared to ambush his territory. In particular, his clashes with Gianni Rivera are still remembered. His nickname that grew from his playing style probably tells it all. “Furia” (which literally means fury in English). The fact that he carried captain’s armband between the the years of 1976-82 says much of his enormous will power. He was the captain of Juve that were already full of natural born leaders, all the way from Zoff and Scirea to Cabrini, Tardelli and many others. Along with their charismatic captain Juve won a game, and after that could instantly concentrate to their next target, winning even more. He’s probably the best symbol for the culture of winning, the purest and finest example of spirito Juve that you have to respect, all though very much against their will by other teams’ fans.

Furino proved along his long career (15 seasons with Juve) that a footballer can became exceptionally successful even if he didn’t have the most special talents with the ball. I don’t think that nowadays for example guys like Tacchinardi or Roy Keane protest that claim. After his glorious career Furino quite naturally decided to carry on at a club he loves, this time as a scout. The word on the street is that even as scout Furino preferred more hard-working, modest players that were crucial for the sake of team spirit rather than often egoistic, virtuosic ball-lovers.

Outside Juve, Italy and pretty much the rest of the world dismissed Furino as too limited a player technically, so he wore the blue shirt of the Azzurri only three times, one of which was in the World Cup of 1970. On the other hand, who really cares? Furino still has a nice bunch of achievements to comfort himself. When he finally ended his career in the summer of 1984, he had won pretty much everything. The record of 8 scudetti, 2 Coppa Italia in the domestic competitions and the trophies of Uefa Cup and Cup winners Cup brought from Europe and the trophy of world team championships pretty much sums it up. Not to forget that he remains the second most capped player for Juve with his 528 official matches (which is only 24 less than Scirea’s record!) Not a bad for a “limited and talentless” guy.

Manuel

Aug 8, 2003
Erkka said:

Wow, very nice article.:tup:

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
Glad you liked it, I'll do some more later. By the way, he made 19 goals for Juve and please edit one of the victories out of there. He never won the club world championships since the competition didn't even exist back then.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Erkka said:
Glad you liked it, I'll do some more later. By the way, he made 19 goals for Juve and please edit one of the victories out of there. He never won the club world championships since the competition didn't even exist back then.
Edited.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
Don Bes said:
thats some good work done there. 1 done, a shit load more to do
...Yes, I'm planning to do more and since I've already written few in Finnish, I might as well translate them. Any suggestions who should be next on the line? Cabrini, Causio, Sivori?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
RochemBeck said:
Well done Erkka, positive rep for you.
Ditto.

Furino is a true Juventus legend. And a class guy, IMO. It was cool to see him interviewed on La Domenica Sportiva after Juve locked up the Scudetto at the end of last season.

OP

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #38
    Erkka said:
    ...Yes, I'm planning to do more and since I've already written few in Finnish, I might as well translate them. Any suggestions who should be next on the line? Cabrini, Causio, Sivori?
    All three of those deserve mentions, the biggest absentees would have to be boniperti and combi...

Not too mention the likes of Lippi, trap and especially canfari... and of course the Agnelli family

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    Shadowfax said:
    All three of those deserve mentions, the biggest absentees would have to be boniperti and combi...

Not too mention the likes of Lippi, trap and especially canfari... and of course the Agnelli family
    Agreed on all counts, I was merely asking what people would want next since I'll do one anyway. Combi sounds great actually, 30's are underrated and too unknown anyway so I'll probably go with him.

...And I want to reserve Conte for me too unless someone opposes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)