Hilarious!!!! (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
:LOL:

I thought this was decided in the early stages of Longhorn's development though

btw the thread title is misleading; I appreciated it, but many non-geeks will be sorely disappointed :D

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #9
    Ok, well just about all operating systems now in use do have a proper command line interface. The various Unix'es, Linux, even Mac OsX (based on Unix). Whereas Windows has always had that crap command line inherited from DOS that's not useful for anything. Well the thing is that a command line interface is often VERY useful, for instance take batch processing, that is doing the same thing over and over (converting images from jpg to png for instance). In Windows you have to point and click to complete the process = endless aggravation. In Unix, you type ONE command in the command line and the whole process is completed for you while you watch the 10 best Juve goals this season. ;)

Rule of thumb: a proper command line is VERY useful, even if you don't use it much.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    In Unix, you type ONE command in the command line and the whole process is completed for you while you watch the 10 best Juve goals this season. ;)
    This season, I'm sure my 286 could do the job quicker than the time it takes to watch Juve's best goals:groan:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
    i thought the 286 was a thing that made those things fast.
    yeah those things that do that thingy to stuff to make those thingies do stuff, right? :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    It's a processor. They had the Intel 8086, then models after that (8286, 8386, 8486) were just referred to by the last 3 numbers. Funnily enough, after that point Intel realised that they couldn't copyright the processor numbers, since...they're numbers :) So they paid some people a ridiculous sum of money to come up with the name Pentium.

Sorry, got carried away :embarass:

286's AFAIR ran at about 10 MHZ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)