Hidden Applications in Windows XP (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
To run any of these apps go to Start > Run and type the executable name (ie charmap). Some of them aren't exactly 'hidden', but they're just not accessible from the start menu.

WINDOWS XP HIDDEN APPS:
=========================================

1) Character Map = charmap.exe (very useful for finding unusual characters)

2) Disk Cleanup = cleanmgr.exe

3) Clipboard Viewer = clipbrd.exe (views contents of Windows clipboard)

4) Dr Watson = drwtsn32.exe (Troubleshooting tool)

5) DirectX diagnosis = dxdiag.exe (Diagnose & test DirectX, video & sound cards)

6) Private character editor = eudcedit.exe (allows creation or modification of characters)

7) IExpress Wizard = iexpress.exe (Create self-extracting / self-installing package)

Microsoft Synchronization Manager = mobsync.exe (appears to allow synchronization of files on the network for when working offline. Apparently undocumented).

9) Windows Media Player 5.1 = mplay32.exe (Retro version of Media Player, very basic).

10) ODBC Data Source Administrator = odbcad32.exe (connecting to databases)

11) Object Packager = packager.exe (to do with packaging objects for insertion in files, appears to have comprehensive help files).

12) System Monitor = perfmon.exe (very useful, highly configurable tool, tells you everything you ever wanted to know about any aspect of PC performance, for uber-geeks only )

13) Program Manager = progman.exe (Legacy Windows 3.x desktop shell).

14) Remote Access phone book = rasphone.exe (documentation is virtually non-existant).

15) Registry Editor = regedt32.exe [also regedit.exe] (for hacking the Windows Registry).

16) Network shared folder wizard = shrpubw.exe (creates shared folders on network).

17) File siganture verification tool = sigverif.exe

1 Volume Control = sndvol32.exe (I've included this for those people that lose it from the System Notification area).

19) System Configuration Editor = sysedit.exe (modify System.ini & Win.ini just like in Win98! ).

20) Syskey = syskey.exe (Secures XP Account database - use with care, it's virtually undocumented but it appears to encrypt all passwords, I'm not sure of the full implications).

21) Microsoft Telnet Client = telnet.exe

22) Driver Verifier Manager = verifier.exe (seems to be a utility for monitoring the actions of drivers, might be useful for people having driver problems. Undocumented).

23) Windows for Workgroups Chat = winchat.exe (appears to be an old NT utility to allow chat sessions over a LAN, help files available).

24) System configuration = msconfig.exe (can use to control starup programs)

25) gpedit.msc used to manage group policies, and permissions

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
To run any of these apps go to Start > Run and type the executable name (ie charmap). Some of them aren't exactly 'hidden', but they're just not accessible from the start menu.

WINDOWS XP HIDDEN APPS:
=========================================

2) Disk Cleanup = cleanmgr.exe

5) DirectX diagnosis = dxdiag.exe (Diagnose & test DirectX, video & sound cards)

9) Windows Media Player 5.1 = mplay32.exe (Retro version of Media Player, very basic).

15) Registry Editor = regedt32.exe [also regedit.exe] (for hacking the Windows Registry).

24) System configuration = msconfig.exe (can use to control starup programs)

thats the good stuff. i had never heard about the others. nice post

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
Those applications are either obsolete or they shouldn't be available in link or icon format. I think a lot of those were just made for the 'pro only use.' Just picture a 7 year old playing with regedit or msconfig. You can tottaly mess up your pc with those apps.

Good post btw, didnt know about the "font maker" ;)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
good post :) , but most, as others said, are meant to be "hidden." Others are obsolete (i dont know why the old media player is still there?!) and for example, the Disk Cleanup is indeed accessible from the start menu :wth:

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    Oops, my mistake about the disk cleanup

As for the old media player, it rocks! It has the same essentials of the recent WMPs, without the advertising and clunky design :thumb:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
    Oops, my mistake about the disk cleanup

As for the old media player, it rocks! It has the same essentials of the recent WMPs, without the advertising and clunky design :thumb:
    does it support just as many files types as the new one?? if so, then they both run the same files, but the older on is a different interface..

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    Actually I can't give you a definitive answer on that one, I haven't tested either prog extensively.

I personally use Alternative Media Player. It's super-clean (no menu bars or huge play buttons, just a rectangle. Right-click and you have all the options. I love it :thumb:

Real Alternative (Media Player Classic) is also good, it can play quicktime files, real media and .wmv too, with the simply design of mplayer2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)